Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 16:59   #1

How Do People Get Their Mail if Living Aboard Full Time ?

How does that all work if you are traveling around to diffrent places?
I would not be staying at a marina but on the hook most of the time with
a 85ft Coastal crusier Houseboat made for saltwater. It has a high V
designed Bow.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 17:31   #2

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
There is a place in Florida called St. Brendens Isle, in Green Cove Springs FL. They specialize in cruisers and do a wonderful job. You use their address and they will forward anywhere, when you will be tied to a dock for a night or two, just send it to the marina with your boat name etc. Works perfectly. You might consider taking care of as much as possible online as well. Do not get spooked by the ID theft crap, yes it happens, but you have a better chance of getting hit in the ass by lighntening while swimming naked. OUCH. At any rate, give it a shot.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 18:51   #3
cruiser

We spent a long time getting everything possible away from paper mail. We canceled credit cards if statements needed to be mailed, changed banks with ones that were internet-friendly. We got every bill and every statement accessible by the internet. Over the last 9 months we got the remaining first class mail (and a couple of magazines that I like) forwarded 3 times (about every 3 months - coordinated when we were at a marina). To be honest, 95% of it was still junk.

We're thinking of switching to St. Brendens Isle next year. They have a new service where they'll scan the envelopes you receive and post them on the internet in your account. Then you can select to "shred" or "open" each item. The "open" ones will get their contents scanned. Then you can shred them or have them physically mailed to you (or you can just print it out). If they mail it, you'd have to coordinate the drop when you're at a marina, etc. It's very cool and allows you to completely break the tether to land.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 11:39   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts #2 and 3 sum it all up except that there are other PMB companies doing about the same service. see: Voyagers Mail Forwarding Service - Mail forwarding services for boaters and people on the move
Onpassage.com : mail forwarding for cruising yachts
see past thread on this subject:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ail-40010.html

- - Or use a relative who is willing to do the same type stuff for you.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 12:50   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 13:15   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
If you are not set up or not comfortable doing all online, you do have options. We have been using the same mail service for 12 years now, NATO in Sarasota Florida. We spend much more time on the hook than we do in a marina. We have also traveled all over the northern and western Caribbean and still always received our mail. You can get mail forwarded to general post office addresses, there are restaurants, specialty shops and many other businesses that cater to boaters that will accept your mail for you. We probably used general delivery more than anything else when in the US. Talk with the Mail services and ask what they do for their customers and you will get a feel for how others in your same situation get their mail. It is not as difficult or complicated as it might seem. Enjoy.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 13:27   #7

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber
I use my work's address, but have transferred all of my bills to online statements so I don't receive much paper mail.
Vartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 14:15   #8

Respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Do not get spooked by the ID theft crap, yes it happens, but you have a better chance of getting hit in the ass by lighntening while swimming naked. OUCH. At any rate, give it a shot.
I've twice been a target of identity theft, but never been struck by a bolt of electricity while swimming naked. The FTC's 2006 report claims that 3.7% of the adult population were victims of identity theft in 2005. I would not suggest that the crime is rare nor that someone shouldn't be concerned about it. I will say that in my case it was more of a PITA than a problem, involving quite a few calls to credit card fraud departments and to the local sheriff's office, but all of the financial loss was on the credit card companies and not one me. YMMV And for what it's worth, I was not using a mailing service at the time.
LandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 16:26   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Identity Theft is a different animal from Credit Card Fraud/theft which is extremely common. I get such attempts on my credit cards on average once per year. Criminals use random number generating computers to cycle through the 16 digits on a credit card and test them against online sources. They can also purchase credit card name, number, exp date from disreputable businesses that you may have dealt with. There are quite a few scams/techniques for acquiring credit card numbers.
- - However, identity theft is much more difficult as the criminals need your SSN, DOB, bank account numbers, home address, telephone, and a lot of other information in order to set up a fake person using your name and all your financial data. I would suspect this type of comprehensive theft of data is very difficult except when certain mega-corporations get their databases stolen or through their own incompetence release the data to the world wide web.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 13:20   #10

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Does anyone have recommendations or experience using mail scanning services? The companies we're looking at based on this article are PaperlessPObox.com and Earthclassmail.com.

We're looking for a service that scans all non junk mail so we don't need to return to a wifi hotspot to receive something important, and also to have direct deposit with reasonable fees available just in case we get checks.

Email In-Box&title=Tell Me More&sidefootername=TellMeSideFooter&servicetype=1&oem=ppob&fullOEM=Paperlessmail.com&lang=EN" target="_blank">PaperlessPObox which is a fully electronic service that opens and scans ALL mail (excluding junk) and emails it. A great solution but their internet address shows nothing about their company. Only after hours of searching did we find a usefull link, which leaves us less than confident about their company and service. We don't think they direct deposit checks or repackage mail either.

Earthclassmail offers check direct deposit for $20 per check, a useful service if the incoming checks are enough to cover the high service fee. We've read they've raised their prices and converted their previously included services into fee based services.

Earthclassmail like other services such as Mailboxforwarding.com (comparable and lower in cost), will scan and email envelopes. After loging in options for each letter such as scan and email or shred are offered. Some companies charge fees to scan ranging from reasonable to ridiculous. For us this means there may be another urgent trip to a wifi hotspot to view the letter, not the best solution depending on where we're cruising.

For us this article had useful advise and websites for breaking free from physical mail.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 20:29   #11

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Through loads of online searches we've just learned that as of May 1, 2010 PaperlessPObox has discontinued personal mail service. Virtualpostmail is reasonably priced, has some positive web presence, a slick interface, and will provide check depositing service at $4.99 per check.

Former clients of Earthclassmail are ranting on the web about their 100% rate hike and exorbitant fees. Either Virtualpostmail or Mailboxforwarding are considered viable alternates.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 07:43   #12

Boat: Currently boatless
We haven't been able to find a Canadian version
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 10:30   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We have been pleased with our use of the St. Brendan's Isle service for the past nine years. We have also greatly dimenished our paper mail with online services. Security is always an issue even if it's envelopes laying within your home mailbox. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 19:28   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 28, hull 317, Kittiwake
Have been using the St. Brendan's Isle service with the mail scanning option for about a year - extremely satisfied with their service, options for forwarding mail (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc) - and you have the option of becoming a resident of FL (Clay County). Agree with comments regarding accounts online whenever possible. Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
KittiwakeCD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:16   #15

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
I use the US Post Office's "General Delivery" option, when I need to order something or get a care package from home I tell the sender what city I'll be in next and have them ship to me care of General Delivery.
more info here:
USPS - Receive Mail at Other Locations
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard