Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 12:48   #16

Re: How big can I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
One can single hand a 289 ft sailboat no problem.
I'm impressed, I'd probably need a couple extra guys and a power winch just to retrieve a spring line on a small cruise ship.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 13:14   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are going sail short distances with technical assistance at each stop, the controlling factor is getting it in a slip. If going off shore, the ability to change sails, lift the anchor and anything else that requires mechanical or more physical assistance than will be aboard is the controlling factor.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 13:44   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

A 45' Bavaria can be handled by two people in reasonable weather for coastal cruising. As others have noted, be sure to get the labor-saving electric devices, even at the cost of complexity. I don't think you would need electric mast winches as once the sails are up, with roller and in-mast furling, they will stay up. But you will need an electric windlass, and depending on your age and fitness, electric primary winches would be nice.

Larger boats cost more than smaller ones in every way. As I bought my first boat, a broker made very clear to me the facts of (sailing) life: everything on a boat costs by the foot. As a trade off against the expense, larger boats sail faster, have more room, can carry more company and so on.

Practice docking. In the Med, you will most often moor stern-to, so lots of practice backing down your boat is essential. You need to know where it will go. Here you really do need two people.

Finally, when leaving or arriving at a marina, fuel dock, anchorage or mooring, motor as slowly as you can while maintaining steerage. The displacement of a large boat will give it greater momentum than you can initially imagine, and you will be shocked at the violence and damage you can cause even in slow motion.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:23   #19
Eternal Member

Quote:
Well, at least as long as all those buttons and touch screens keep working...

The bigger the boat, the smaller the wheel... "single-handing", indeed... :-)

http://sailmagazine.blogspot.com/200...pplicable.html
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 18:18   #20

Quote:
Just the 4 masted ones. The 5 masters should be double handed.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 17:46   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I usually handle this boat (83') alone, including line handling. But only at slack water, no wind and some planning. I'm retired and have no timetable. A captain and a line handler should be able to dock a 50' boat with ease. Practice often, initially in calm winds and waters. Read a good boat/ship handling book. Don't get in a hurry. In the last 100' of a docking maneuver, I rarely have the engines above idle. People I see with boat handling problems are usually using too much power.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 18:01   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmandel View Post
I am new to sailing however my partner and I are looking to retire and live aboard next year . We are thinking of a 45ft Bavaria cruiser . My question being is this boat to large for two people to handle . Sailing mainly in the Med
no it is just about right for 2 people
Old 23-01-2015, 18:04   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I usually handle this boat (83') alone, including line handling. But only at slack water, no wind and some planning. I'm retired and have no timetable. A captain and a line handler should be able to dock a 50' boat with ease. Practice often, initially in calm winds and waters. Read a good boat/ship handling book. Don't get in a hurry. In the last 100' of a docking maneuver, I rarely have the engines above idle. People I see with boat handling problems are usually using too much power.
Good advice.

I have seen some big boats "CRUNCH" because of the momentum when docking .
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 18:19   #24

If you imagine yourself on your boat while under full sail and the wind pipes up, can you reef the sails with just the two of you?

If you are anchored and find the anchor stuck, can you free the anchor with just the two of you?

If the wind is blowing across your beam and you're trying to get into a slip, can that be done with just the two of you?

If you have to haul out a 100# battery out of the bilge...?

If you get caught in a storm...?

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

And this is just addressing boat handling. I'm sure other members here can add to this very short list. You have to be prepared for anything.

Some of the obstacles can be overcome with powered assistance. But lots of powered assistance needs a good power source.

You should know what you're getting into. Books can help. Maintenance books, books on voyaging, books on surveying and buying a boat, etc. Read everything you can. The more you know, the better choice you'll make.
Old 23-01-2015, 20:28   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmandel View Post
I am new to sailing however my partner and I are looking to retire and live aboard next year . We are thinking of a 45ft Bavaria cruiser . My question being is this boat to large for two people to handle . Sailing mainly in the Med

Thanks

Derek
My first yacht was a Beneteau 50, my second boat was a Beneteau 50. I would do exactly the same again if I was starting out. I like production boats. They generally are a known quantity, simple to maintain and easier to move when you want to sell. If you can't handle a 50 you probably can't handle a 47 and probably can't handle a 40 etc , etc, etc .........if you can handle a 40 you can probably handle a 50.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 21:04   #26

Boat: Mason 44

Ironmandel

I have a 44' 1986 boat old design. When I visited a Beneteau Oceanis 47, I was shocked to see space of the "living room" and the easy access of the "party boat" cockpit with twin wheels.

The newer production offers lots of storage and make a great liveaboard. They go every where.

Having said that, the other day, I took the spare mainsail from the vberth bunk. Boy, I had to winch the bag out to the deck and left it there. I do not have the strength to handle it alone. Can't imagine if the sail were any bigger. So differ from my experience on the previous boat, 31ft.

Go for the 45 Bavaria and have at least one electric winch. Good luck.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote