Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 08:49   #1

Hoping to live aboard

I'm 21 and have been saving up for a boat to live on. I came across this craigslist post and will probably go check it out this weekend, but I need some help! What should I consider? What is this lacking? What types of questions should I be asking? http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5424702282.html

Thanks all!
Knappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Hoping to live aboard

Adding a canopy to the cockpit would give you an extra room for wet kit during the winter.

Are you going to be living in a marina during the winter? if so is one available and is it within budget? if not what are you planning to do about supplying electricity?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I was looking at that, "What should I consider?" part of your question as having two parts. There's asking what to consider of the boat and of yourself.

For yourself: Do you have a passion for sailing or are you just looking for low income housing? I think this pursuit works best for those that have done a fair amount of sailing. In addition, do you have the experience allowing you to know that you are able to adapt to the small living space? Are you comfortable solving mechanical and electrical problems?

For the boat: Inspect the rigging. Is it free from corrosion and cracks? Look at the points where the shrouds (wires supporting the mast) are attached to connecting fittings. Look closely for hairline cracks. Look down the surface of the hull. It should be uniform in shape, smoothness and symmetry. Arrange to inspect the boat out of the water, - keel, rudder, steering... Some things will likely not be functional,- the outboard, sails, electrical shore power system (110AC), 12V circuitry, galley stove, etc. You will need to decide about your skills and funds to make up what is lacking.
Judge your risk with a purchase without a professional survey. Many don't survey a boat of this size and cost, but at least, look at the boat with a knowledgeable sailor.

One more thing. Keep us informed of your adventures!
Old 10-02-2016, 13:33   #4

Boat: Pearl 43 motor boat

good luck we are thinking the same
heathernsteve is offline   Reply With Quote