Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 21:09   #1
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
Holiday decorating.

I'm interested what people do to decorate their boats for the holidays.

This will be my first winter on board.

I've been on dirt for 20 years.. and everything had to be decorated... (Acording to my ex).

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 21:19   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Holiday decorating.

This is a question you should be asking the folks in your neighborhood. It works on the water just like it works on the hard: some neighborhoods go all out, others could care less.

I've been putting up a couple strands of lights every year, but I'm careful not to add anything that makes it harder to head out for a quick sail if the urge strikes. Powerboats tend not to worry about such considerations.
Old 20-11-2012, 22:34   #3

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
We have always decorated with item that are energy efficient. You have to remember your electric limitations are a lot less than the house or apartment. Other than that go for what ever you heart desires.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 00:36   #4
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
Ok.. so may need to be a little more specific.
If I were to deploy led Xmas lights up the mast.
Has anyone had interactions with the radar or ssb?

Do people use 12v lights? Or 110/240? I haven't got any decorations so it is a fresh start for me.

I do have shore power. But I haven't hooked up as the wind generator has met my power needs so far. But I'm at work all day. When I'm home for the week it might be different.

Obviously space is a limit... But I'm rattling around a bit.. and am wanting to make her homely for the holidays. Have some maintainance tasks planned but will be attempting to get out a couple of times.

I asked around and I'll be the only one at my small marina over the holidays so I can do as I like.

Something is needed! Otherwise I will feel like Mr Grumpy.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 04:01   #5

I've been putting a crab pot tree on my foredeck the past few years. Subtle, but still festive and folds flat (or close) for storage out of season. Used to run strings of LED lights up the mast & backstay, but they tended to beat themselves into submission over the winter and I didn't like the noise. I've also run LED lights through the cockpit, to help with the short days. Or around the lifelines. They're all 110, as I'm at a dock, and on a timer to start at dusk and turn off after 4 hours.
Free Spirit HC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 04:47   #6

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

When I was a kid....Christmas was all about the smells as well as the decorations. I really like some small amount of pine, cinnamon, gingerbread etc.
We used to make a very simple decoration using an apple. Core half way through so it can hold a candle ( scented is nice). Poke whole cloves in the apple on its upper half. Poke holes with an ice pick around the bottom and add pine branches. Set the whole thing in a fire safe bowl and place in the center of your table. Looks and smells like Christmas, inexpensive and lasts for a few weeks.

Play Christmas music and put up a strand of led lights. Cook up some hot spiced cider and either bake or pick up some gingerbread cookies!

Outside you could put a wreath or swag tied to the mast ....with a big red bow. You could put some led lights in it that can be lit at night. Simple and easy to stow quickly should you want to sail. Put the apple bowl in the sink for sailing.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote