Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 17:25   #316

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
Re: Hobos Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
To people in Canada (or the States? Not sure how it works there..) who *think* they own their land, and yes, I have been known to refer to myself as a "landowner", I am fond of saying, "You think you own your land? Stop paying your property taxes and see how long you still think so.."
Or wait until the government needs to widen a road. :P
Old 14-07-2013, 19:42   #317
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylenos View Post
.......................... you high society beach-home owners or fancy s/v or yacht owners ...................... It's very easy to be sitting on your high horse .........................

............................... I do NOT think you should lump ALL homeless in together as worthless members of society.......................
You have presented some insightful and informative information about not stereotyping the homeless. Please be careful not to sterotype those with homes and yachts too.
Old 14-07-2013, 20:07   #318
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
To people in Canada (or the States? Not sure how it works there..) who *think* they own their land, and yes, I have been known to refer to myself as a "landowner", I am fond of saying, "You think you own your land? Stop paying your property taxes and see how long you still think so.."

The government can tax what you own, and take what you own in lieu of payment. That's a reality. It doesn't mean you don't own it. It may mean you used to own it.

Having obligations is not the same as not owning something.
Old 14-07-2013, 20:47   #319

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol

Anyone ever see a liveaboard jet skier?
Old 14-07-2013, 21:27   #320
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by captseamus View Post
Anyone ever see a liveaboard jet skier?
living on a jetski? O.o
Old 14-07-2013, 21:30   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylenos View Post
ns. Those that DO get govt assistance usually have a load of children - and they have those children to get the assistance. You get more $$ from the state if you have more children, up to 6 in this state I believe, it may be 4, but still more kids = more money. .
This is an obnoxious stereotype. Although I don't qualify myself, I know a number of people who rely on some form of assistance (mostly "food stamps" or WIC), and NOT ONE of them had kids to get that assistance. It does technically go up if there are more kids, but it isn't nearly sufficient for their needs, certainly doesn't provide anything extra. Many of them, after assistance and their income, are still scrambling to find a decent meal by the end of the month. And they are generally terrified of getting pregnant again while they are still relying on assistance - because they've seen the numbers and know full well that the increase in expenses is going to be more than the increase in assistance.
Not to mention the insane restrictions and limitations that go along with it; actually using their benefits properly can be a part-time job all in itself.
Old 14-07-2013, 22:55   #322
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblueln View Post
Not to mention the insane restrictions and limitations that go along with it; actually using their benefits properly can be a part-time job all in itself.

Homelessness is definitely a full time job, I've known people who spend an easy forty hours a week or more standing in lines, riding the bus to government offices, trying to get in shelters during their minimal time windows, trying to get food and clothing, etc. etc. This is part of what makes it a downward spiral, once your homeless it takes much of your time and effort just to keep your head above water. Sometimes all it takes is a little help. My wife (nurse at Seattle jail) sees many who get arrested on purpose just to get a break from the grind, in jail they get to be dry and warm with three squares a day and relative safety, as well as health care. Lots of cases of guys getting arrested on purpose because they have a bad tooth or something like that, and have no other way to get it taken care of. It's shameful that an affluent nation like ours can't be bothered to care for our downtrodden even a little. Having to do things like that to get by does irreparable things to ones self esteem IMHO.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 14-07-2013, 23:04   #323

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi folks, thread drift occurring here.

Could you please try and stick to the topic "Hobos afloat"?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 15-07-2013, 00:19   #324
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Usually:
SFA Sweet Freak All (but not the polite form)
or
SFA Sweet Fanny Adams (same thing, more polite)
Yeah, I was going for the polite version ........albeit somewhat gruesome in origin!

The true story of Sweet Fanny Adams ***
Old 15-07-2013, 00:30   #325
cruiser

Things have changed during the past several years in the USA. Today it's very easy to "game the system" and collect benefits for many years or a lifetime simply if one doesn't feel like working. In Masachusetts, there are even public service advertisements on radio and TV on how to collect more free stuff, like heating oil, free cell phones, food cards, and EBT cards and free health care. If you don't believe me, just check it out online yourself.

A family of four (mother with three kids by different fathers) can easily collects benefits totaling over $50,000 per year indefinitely.
Old 15-07-2013, 00:35   #326
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A family of four (mother with three kids by different fathers) can easily collects benefits totaling over $50,000 per year indefinitely.
At the risk of upsetting Seaworthy Lass . just WTF does the parentage of the children have to do with anything??? - or do you come from one of those US Vagina regulating States?
Old 15-07-2013, 01:41   #327

Boat: 45ft Ketch

DOJ ; Use your imagination! 3 different fathers shows an irresponsible choice of guys. Since they aint around to pick up the tab they are probably Hobos and they might even be Afloat.
Old 15-07-2013, 02:38   #328
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
just WTF does the parentage of the children have to do with anything??? - or do you come from one of those US Vagina regulating States?
Dave, They have the kids in order to increase the amount of assistance the mothers can collect each month. Don't make remarks on a subject here in America you know nothing about coming from the UK. The government welfare system is quite different here and currently out of control giving out benefits to those who Choose not to work and instead "game the system" depleting the resources from those who may truly be in need.
Old 15-07-2013, 03:49   #329
CLOD

Boat: none

being a hobo sounds pretty responsible I think you all are trying to give them a bad name:

A hobo is a migratory worker or homeless vagabond, especially one who is penniless. The term originated in the Western—probably Northwestern—United States during the last decade of the 19th century.[1] Unlike "tramps", who work only when they are forced to, and "bums", who do not work at all, "hobos" are workers who wander.[1][2]
Old 15-07-2013, 04:01   #330
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblueln View Post
This is an obnoxious stereotype. Although I don't qualify myself, I know a number of people who rely on some form of assistance (mostly "food stamps" or WIC), and NOT ONE of them had kids to get that assistance. It does technically go up if there are more kids, but it isn't nearly sufficient for their needs, certainly doesn't provide anything extra. Many of them, after assistance and their income, are still scrambling to find a decent meal by the end of the month. And they are generally terrified of getting pregnant again while they are still relying on assistance - because they've seen the numbers and know full well that the increase in expenses is going to be more than the increase in assistance.

It IS obnoxious -- and completely untrue. I recently got a part-time job -- as a cashier -- to pay for some boat toys that would otherwise strain the budget. I am in a position to see who is using those food stamps. By far the most common are people who are unemployed. Their nice clothes from their former clothes haven't yet worn out and if you saw them on the street you would never guess. Many are married couples. I've looked at my state's requirements. Both would have to be eithe unemployed or under-employed to qualify. Some are senior citizens, again often couples, and a depressing number are obviously "working poor" because they are my co-workers.

I haven't had ONE stereotypical 'welfare mother' come through.

It could have been me. I had a medical problem when I was sixty that used up my entire, large, retirement fund when I was 60.

But speaking of stereotypes, the stereotype of people here being wealthy and just not wanting to see "hobo boats" from our patios was just as unfair. inaccurate stereotypes sometimes abound...
Closed Thread