Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 18:47   #1

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--
Highway Vehicle for Full-time Cruiser--

Ideas--new directions for on board, lightweight, motorbike?? to off-load by davit or hand onto dock or dingy for highway use --50 to 100 kilometers round-trip.
VISION-
2002 Ohio River, Access ramp, protected anchorage--Cruiser was off-loading, by davit, small BMW Motorcycle onto fingerdock--Returned with groceries and pizza--
QUEST-
Same vision--less weight--
Any thoughts about light weight street-legal dirt-bike--that could ride with the dingy--narrow frame--????
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:11   #2

this is probably smaller then what your asking for but you could get a motorized bicycle, they get 120mpg and can go up to 35-40 mph.. you can get a new one for roughly 500 dollars.. but its just a normal bicycle with the equlivant of a weed wacker size engine. as long as its 49cc or lower u dont need a license for it.
derttiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 05:41   #3

Thanks derttiej--
have tried the mororized bike and electric bike--Not enough range (or speed)--

In my foolish youth rode a French mfg. Mobeleytte (sic) --that had the specs--
50 cc-
Light weight--
Street Legal--
Narrow frame--

have seen them lately-

Lex
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
Old 13-06-2008, 07:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A used Honda Super Cub (50/60cc)?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 13:21   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

But a dirt bike isn't going to be a highway bike. I doubt you'd find anyone recommending anything under a 250cc for highway trips, see 250cc Cruiser Motorcycles: AlphaSports (Hyosung) GV250, Honda Rebel, Kymco Venox, Suzuki GZ250, Yamaha Virago for a sample of the 450-800 pound bikes in that range.

There are plenty of bikes half that engine displacement and half that weight-- 125cc motorcycles. Specifications, pictures, ratings and discussions --but at that point you'd have to have a wide open throttle and a lightweight rider to maintain typical highway speeds.

At a certain point, it becomes way cheaper and simpler to just rent a car or order take-out food.<G>

Now, if you resally want to present us with a NEW IDEA, find some Russian titanium supplier, some Chinese knock-off motorbike maker who doesn't build absolute crap, and have them copy a 250cc bike but do it all in titanium with carbon fiber, skeletonized to save weight.

Give me a call when that happens.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 11:56   #6

Thank you hellosailor--

have accessed the Honda motorcyle page--lots of choices and Honda overengineering--

but it seems 200 lbs is the compromise--with a narrow frame--to ride in the dingy--to off-load at the boat ramp--

Honda Scooters - 2008 Ruckus - Colors, Specifications, Pricing, Accessories, Gallery

Lex
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
Old 14-06-2008, 12:22   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Ok, not what you are after - especially on the 100 mile range ......but am seriously tempted by one of these:-

Di Blasi - only 50cc and 30mph though But in my book that would beat walking 5 miles. with or without groceries

I figure small enough to stow below decks (out of harms way / for rust protection).......used by the "drive your car home when yer drunk" Services. I am about the same build as the fella in the photos, but even then I can't say I would fancy a long trip on one. and even a couple of miles may be too much of a PITA.......

At the moment I have a Scooter (on it's last legs ) which I use for my 15 minute commute and am toying with the idea of replacing it with one of these (I figure can also use it to pick me own car up if I taxi back after a night out!) - plus could use it on the boat or with the campervan.....also got me new SV650 crunched recently (was gonna be the new long term commuter) and might be a write off.......was thinking if I get another small commuter bike I can re-invest the SV650 into something like a s/h Blackbird or ZZR1100 (but can't afford the boat to carry one onboard ).......the cr#p I tell myself to justify new toys
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 12:41   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lex-
Scooters are generally meant for short runs around town, not 100km trips on highways at highway speeds. I doubt you could get a 49cc scooter up to the minimum highway speed limit in the US (40mph, 65kph) and that means you would be pulled over, given a summons, and told to walk home while the scooter was impounded.
A scooter or moped might be a great solution for local runs--but your question IS "highway".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 19:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You are probably looking for a 125cc. You will still struggle with weight. I dont' think you will get much below 300 pounds once you add street legal lights etc...

125cc motorcycles. Specifications, pictures, ratings and discussions
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 06:16   #10

Thanks to all--for the well-reasoned suggestions--

It bears repeating that planning--talking about Cruizen is almost as satisfying as the real thing--[got a FlightSimulator---there will never be a CruisingSimulator.]

Have test driven the Di Blasi--It is underpowered for any application--{I'll Walk}-

The Street legal Honda trail bike is $6,000.00--343 lbs---

Honda 125 cc Asian Scooter a contender--

The Dream would be 6061 aircraft aluminum frame--with 125 cc two-cycle power--front and rear shaft attach point for the davit--

the Russians may have an answer--

Lex
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
Old 15-06-2008, 07:02   #11

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Back in the early 1970s when i was building a cruising boat i had the same idea and bought a new Honda st70 which had fold down handlebars,an alligator clip that connected the throttle cable at the carb,a quick connect electrical plug for the headlight and front turn signals and horn and a little fold up crank which was used to undo the entire front fork assembly at the headpost so it stored in two pieces so it was pretty convenient, oh,it also had a shut off on the vent in the gas cap.I never ended up using it on the boat but i put about 35000 miles on it including highway and many trips over the Auckland harbor bridge,i dont think id be that adventuresome these days but i cant think of a more suitable bike made now,it was a 4 stroke and very reliable.ah,good times.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 08:08   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I have a 2006 Yamaha XT225 which weighs 240 lbs. I love it. It goes over 70mph and gets about 60 mpg. Only holds about two gallons of gas so you have to watch it. Street legal, easy to ride, low to the ground so you can plant your feet on the ground. I had posted a similar thread on this site earlier and received some good suggestions, one of which was this Baja 150 - TNG Motor Scooters

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-14733.html
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote