Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 06:12   #1

Boat: 1999 Shannon 47/52
Help with medical Insurance

Hi there, We are new to the CF and are planning an 18 month trip ending in New Zealand aboard our Shannon sailboat. We both recently retired (yesterday) and we were planning to Cobra the health insurance but didn't realize the high cost of it. We consider ourselves healthy 60 year olds. Any suggestions on a basic health insurance with a high deductible that will cover catastrophic illness outside the US? Our trip will begin in the Florida to New England and then onto the Caribbean in November, Panama canal, South Pacific to New Zealand. Someone recommended Danboater insurance but looks like that is not an option for Florida residents. Any suggestions?
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:20   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Help with medical Insurance

Img global.

We don’t currently have it (thanks Covid) but will be getting it when we can finally get back to our boat
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Arden and welcome to the forum.

I don't recall the specific companies but I recall in previous questions about health insurance a number of cruisers confirmed that health insurance for international travelers can be inexpensive as long as it excludes coverage in the US. Seems insurance companies have figured out that US health care costs are out of line with the rest of the world.

We kept my wife's coverage when we retired. It is currently our biggest monthly expense but the two times we needed it for major medical it really paid off.

You might also want to look into DAN insurance for medivac back home if you have a problem in some isolated area with limited medical resources. This is a good supplement and not expensive.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:39   #4

Thanks, DAN boater insurance website says it is not available for residents of FL, NY or Montana.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:58   #5

Boat: J/36

Gowrie Group was offering a cruiser’s health insurance that was good outside of the US. Quite reasonable yearly rates, but you’d need something else to cover the US portions of your voyage.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:46   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I doubt you need to worry about it at present?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardens2 View Post
Hi there, We are new to the CF and are planning an 18 month trip ending in New Zealand aboard our Shannon sailboat. We both recently retired (yesterday) and we were planning to Cobra the health insurance but didn't realize the high cost of it. We consider ourselves healthy 60 year olds. Any suggestions on a basic health insurance with a high deductible that will cover catastrophic illness outside the US? Our trip will begin in the Florida to New England and then onto the Caribbean in November, Panama canal, South Pacific to New Zealand. Someone recommended Danboater insurance but looks like that is not an option for Florida residents. Any suggestions?
There might be travel insurance that will work. Try Cigna Health Insurance for Expats. The problem with Expat Insurance for your circumstances is I think providers require you have a base country. You need to check the fine print to see if your plans fit the insurance providers rules.

I am 63 and based in Guatemala that has excellent, inexpensive health care except if you need a new or super complicated procedure. I use Cigna Expat Insurance with $10K deductible. The policy allows 100% coverage above $10K per year(no co-pay), $1MM per year max, life time max is unlimited. I can have treatment from any doctor or hospital in the world except the USA. If the treatment is provided in Guatemala then I would have to pay for the travel to get treatment elsewhere. If treatment is not provided in Guatemala then Cigna will find the best place outside of Guatemala to get treatment ex USA for my policy and pay for the travel.. The policy includes very good travel insurance including if traveling in the USA. My policy costs $2800 per year. For a bit more you can have coverage that includes treatment in the USA. I did not get that because I am a USA citizen and currently per Obama Care pre-existing conditions are covered. Therefore, I can always move back to the USA establish an address and in 30 days and be covered by Obama Care. The chances are that it is possible but low that I would need treatment outside of Guatemala. I have had the typical, preventative treatments for people my age in Guatemala and it was excellent and at a fraction of the cost in the USA. I prefer being treated in Guatemala versus the USA as long as it is something that is regularly done in Guatemala even if the cost was the same. Very few treatments are not regularly done in Guatemala.

I could also always go to Canada or Europe for a particular treatment but woud have to pay the travel if offered in Guatemala.

Cigna did not require a physical to get coverage. I started coverage with Cigna at age 61.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:55   #8

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150 (Papeete), Beneteau First 35s5 (Vancouver)

We had very good experience with World Nomads (https://www.worldnomads.com/). Their policies are specific for your home country and province/state. We would continue to use them based on cost, coverage and responsiveness but they will not cover anybody aged 65 or older. Sigh...

Others in the thread have recommended DAN. Note that they have two kinds of coverage: emergency evacuation and medical. The first is excellent and exceptional value. I would check to be sure that the exclusions by state are for both.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:27   #9

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

We have both DAN and IMG. They each have their own plusses. DAN is super cheap, IMG less so, but way cheaper than normal US insurance. IMG does limit the amount of time you're in the US, but that is probably not an issue for you.
We have never made a claim for either, so no direct experience.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!!!!
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:18   #10

Boat: None

https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-insurance-quotes
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 13:30   #11

Boat: J24 and Roughwater 41 and Islander 36

Friends of mine have purchased travel insurance for coverage for the U.S.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 14:56   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43

We have insurance through Gowrie Group for the IMG Patriot plan (high deductible plan with coverage up to $1M) and we're enrolled in DAN Boater. In any case, you will want to have a very good, well stocked medical kit aboard.

I didn't see anything in the DAN Boater Handbook in their Exclusions and Restrictions (page 11) that eliminated benefits for FL residents. Can you point out where this exclusion is on their website?
Old 03-04-2020, 08:37   #13

thanks for the replies. On Dan boater I went to the Insurance tab, then annual travel insurance to cover multiple trips and then get a quote. As you enter state of residency as FL it says not eligible. Should I be looking at a different section of Dan Boater?
Old 03-04-2020, 09:09   #14

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
There might be travel insurance that will work. Try Cigna Health Insurance for Expats. The problem with Expat Insurance for your circumstances is I think providers require you have a base country. You need to check the fine print to see if your plans fit the insurance providers rules.

I am 63 and based in Guatemala that has excellent, inexpensive health care except if you need a new or super complicated procedure. I use Cigna Expat Insurance with $10K deductible. The policy allows 100% coverage above $10K per year(no co-pay), $1MM per year max, life time max is unlimited. I can have treatment from any doctor or hospital in the world except the USA. If the treatment is provided in Guatemala then I would have to pay for the travel to get treatment elsewhere. If treatment is not provided in Guatemala then Cigna will find the best place outside of Guatemala to get treatment ex USA for my policy and pay for the travel.. The policy includes very good travel insurance including if traveling in the USA. My policy costs $2800 per year. For a bit more you can have coverage that includes treatment in the USA. I did not get that because I am a USA citizen and currently per Obama Care pre-existing conditions are covered. Therefore, I can always move back to the USA establish an address and in 30 days and be covered by Obama Care. The chances are that it is possible but low that I would need treatment outside of Guatemala. I have had the typical, preventative treatments for people my age in Guatemala and it was excellent and at a fraction of the cost in the USA. I prefer being treated in Guatemala versus the USA as long as it is something that is regularly done in Guatemala even if the cost was the same. Very few treatments are not regularly done in Guatemala.

I could also always go to Canada or Europe for a particular treatment but woud have to pay the travel if offered in Guatemala.

Cigna did not require a physical to get coverage. I started coverage with Cigna at age 61.
Just wanted to say thanks for a well written and informative post concerning health insurance, especially in Guatemala. My husband and I live in the US and are planning on heading to Rio Dulce as soon as the borders are open so this post came at the perfect time for us.
Already have been on the Citgna site and it is unbelievably user friendly. Already have a quote and have had an email conversation with one of their customer service people.

Thanks again!
SVNisus
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, insurance, medical