Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 23:34   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Re: Help us settle the Air Conditioner debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
According to the data you presented, acclimate was more popular on both sides of the pond before mid to late 19th century.

I'm know I'm an old f*rt, but I wasn't around in the 1830's
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 02:21   #122

Boat: Lagoon 450

At the risk of alienating any of the true sailors here (I am a novice), here's my take on it. When I was looking for my boat I read lots of things online about how a/c was un-necessary on the hook or swinging off a buoy but that they can be handy in a marina. Only 9 months in on my boat, and my limited experience so far: in the Adriatic air conditioning is so good to have. We have experienced many (dozens) very hot flat windless days and even more nights on the hook and I am so glad I got air-conditioning. We just fire it up to take the edge off although during the recent record heatwave - "Lucifer" as they called it - with endless days above 38 degrees C and nights above 30 C when we were on shore power for a few days they stayed on all night. I have had guests on board who I am sure would have left the boat if there was no air conditioning and I would not have blamed them. For me the best things on the boat are: A/c, Icemaker, water cooler.
Maybe in time I will learn to hate them (maintenance breakdowns etc) but for now my position is: if you can get A/c get it.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 05:40   #123
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ioning/536364/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:08   #124

Boat: Hunter 37c

I am not sure how many of the guys answering this post have slept next to a 50 year old first mate at the time the "power surges" kick in. It will not take too many nights to realize that the temperature in the forward berth can rise quickly for no apparent reason. It is great in the fall up north but down south, without some way to cool the boat, you may find yourselves staying ashore In a condo.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:14   #125
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

The “heater” never works when the bed is cold
Old 24-09-2017, 10:19   #126

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The “heater” never works when the bed is cold
Too true!!
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:50   #127

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
Join the C30 Yahoo mail group of Facebook page for more first hand specifics.

You may also want to obtain the C30 Tech manual from the International C30 Association. Several stories in there from owners who have installed AC.
ValiantV, THANK YOU for pointing me to "THE COLLECTION", A Compendium of Owners Modifications, Experiences, Maintenance and Care of C-30 Yachts" from the Catalina National Assoc.

It's like having the Encyclopaedia Britannica of C-30s. Under Section 35, I find information on Ventilators and a proven How-To: "Air Conditioning a C-30", describing how to take advantage of an existing thru-hull. The unit is mounted in front of the forward water tank under the vee berth, (just to give an idea).

The compendium is very well organized. Beyond A/C, my other main concerns are the custom propeller installed by the PO, standing and running rigging, Universal 25XP exhaust system, (the riser). While the PO did a good job of maintenance and the boat is stocked with a veritable West Marine of parts, here is what could have been avoided had the PO read this book:

Hole in the riser, (corrosion), spewing exhaust into the cabin. See "EXHAUST PIPES - 5 YEARS OLD?" Page 09-51.

Hurricane Irma snapped the starboard top shroud chain plate. See RIGGING, Page 01-4. Rigging was last replaced 11 years ago, chain plates not included. Should be every 5 years in Florida, minimum every 7 years. Also see Catalina Direct: Stainless Steel Crevice Corrosion

I HIGHLY recommend this document to any C-30 owner, and again, many thanks to ValiantV.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:48   #128

Boat: Camano Troll

In most disagreements between a husband and wife, the wife wins in the end. There's a saying, "Happy wife, happy life."

That said, here's our situation, it may be similar to yours, it may not.

My wife and I are both eligible for the "over 60 discount" at restaurants. We have factory air conditioning on our boat but no genset so the air conditioning can only be used with shore power in a marina slip.

We find that sometimes it's just too hot to just anchor overnight so we spend the bucks for a marina slip. It depends on the temperature and breeze or lack of a breeze.

A fan helps of course but boating is supposed to be fun for us and 95 degrees and no breeze is not fun.

It's going to be cheaper and you'll end up with better results if you buy a boat that has factory air conditioning than if you try to add it later.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 22:02   #129

To the OP. Look at all the Helias and 44 -45 ft Lagoons for sale. Note number with Aircon, and those without. This will give an indication of market demand. Look also at 3 cabin v 4 cabin to separate out the charter element.

As for your own needs, that all depends on climate you are operating in. The reverse cycle heating works nicely too.

Our personal experience in Caribbean in winter and USA Chesapeake in summer, is that winter in the Caribbean requires no Aircon, cabin fans are fine, unless a rare windless hot night, even then it is not a lasting event. We anchor/moor 95%

In East coast USA, we have been deluged by gnats, biting flies, mosquitoes, noseeums, etc in summer, plus windless hot nights. Bug screens cut airflow dramatically, so we run the Generator and two AC units (12 & 16k btu), charging batteries, watch movies etc at same. Diesel is cheap in USA so running costs for a several nights is not a big deal. Make sure CO monitor is operational. Also it is nice when you have guests on board in such conditions, you don't want them hating the experience if not used to it. We run the AC once a month to keep it operational, check water flow etc. The odd times we have been on a dock we use a shore powered cheap household portable unit to take the edge off. (European/Aust Aircon with 240V 50 Hz not recommended to run on 60 Hz USA power). System is 6 years old, hasn't failed yet.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 01:35   #130

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I just wonder how good an AC can heat up a catamaran in the autumn / winter - do one need a diesel furnace on top or can the AC do the job with the gen set in temperatures around 0°C?
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 01:44   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I just wonder how good an AC can heat up a catamaran in the autumn / winter - do one need a diesel furnace on top or can the AC do the job with the gen set in temperatures around 0°C?
You'll need diesel heat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 02:03   #132

Water temp needs to be above 10 degrees C for reverse cycle. I would not want to be living aboard in 0C - too many dramas with freezing pipes etc. You can run small household electric fan heater, they warm the cabin pretty quickly.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 03:25   #133

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Reverse cycle works with water temp down to 4ºC. It's a nice heat that doesn't add to the moisture level in the cabin - which will already be an issue in a boat.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 04:31   #134

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Thank you very much.

I asked he question, because cat manufacturer offer either AC or heating options on new cats, but not both - so I was curious if AC can do the trick and where the limits are. I think, Water temperature will be above 4°C, but the Air can be colder.

Electric heating could be an Option too with a running the generator to top off the batteries and using a dyson hot&cool fan for the salon in the meantime if needed.

Another Option could be to drop a Webasto diesel furnace somewhere.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 04:37   #135

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Thank you very much.

I asked he question, because cat manufacturer offer either AC or heating options on new cats, but not both -
Are you having the cat built? If so maybe you could specify the unit you want. Many systems offer either reverse cycle or they add a heating coil to the blower unit. I used Flagship Marine and have been very happy with the unit and with the heating coil, you are not dependent on the water temperature, it will heat regardless even if the boat is on the hard. i am not associated with Flagship in any regard........
Marine Air Conditioning Systems - water, air and keel cooled.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote