Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 16:24   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
help registering a yacht in the Caribbean

Ireland has no requirement that you have any flag. In fact there is no registration of any type needed for recreational vessels.

Hence an Irish citizen may hold any flag they like that they are legally entitled to hold by the flag state

For a quick flag state registration polish registration is very fast , and recognised widely and open to anybody from any country. It’s the current “ flag du jour”
Old 28-07-2021, 16:41   #17
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltees View Post
again appreciate the advise. I emailed a lot of the government departments and brokers mentioned and haven't found anyone in the Caribbean that will register a private boat. I am hopefully going to Martinique this January so will try get some information on the ground and try to buy and keep the boat registered in Martinique. if not possible I will

a) try part 3 British registration sending a bank draft for payment

b) registration in Poland online and pay the 450 euros.

i am on a small outlay budget so will first try to get a 26-29 foot yacht with trailer to leave on land in Martinique when in Europe . if not possible to get a trailer boat then i will have to consider leaving a larger boat in rio dulce for the 7 months each year I will be working in Europe.

off if you're not on the treadmill or have money in this life they sure make it hard with all the rules!

To avail of part 3 ( SSR) you must live in the U.K. for a minimum of 185 days a year !
Old 28-07-2021, 16:46   #18
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltees View Post
go raibh maith agat montanan,

I contacted them a while back. It's the same problem as Malta. I would have to bring the boat from the Caribbean to Ireland just to get surveyed!!

No, they can appoint a local surveyor , any one with YBDSA membership and rated for tonnage certification will be approved. ( ie most U.K. certified surveyors can be appointed for example ) you submit a form with the surveyors details and credentials , they check it ( YBDSA have an online database ) abs they will issue a survey mandate. Note this document has to be couriered.

The issue however is the Irish register will require an unbroken paper trail of ownership from yacht builder to you and copies are not acceptable

In my case they appointed a surveyor in Greece. Registration took four months !
Old 29-07-2021, 01:16   #19

Re: help registering a yacht in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Delaware is a State, not a nation state; as a state of the USA it does not convey flagging under UNCLOS. A boat is flagged / given USA nationality if it is documented with the United States Coast Guard. Documentation is not the same as registration. Delaware is a registration only state and is NOT a titling State for vessels; such registration is only valid if the State of Delaware is in fact the state of principal use for the vessel.

In the USA, vessels are registered in its “State of Principal Use.” That is the state on whose waters the vessel is used or to be used most during a calendar year. Delaware regulations state that if the vessel is to be used, docked, or stowed on the waters of this State for over 60 consecutive days, Delaware is its “State of Principal Use.” A vessel's state of principal use can and often does change if the boat goes cruising across state lines.

Long story, made short, you are not a citizen of the USA, thus your vessel cannot be conveyed USA nationality, that is to say, it cannot be documented by the US Coast Guard.

Some nations require that their citizens must flag their vessels with the country of their citizenship, meaning they can not legally use a flag of convenience. I do not know if Ireland permits Irish to own a vessel under a flag other than Ireland.
Ireland has no such restrictions. I have another boat registered in Malta where I live, however, Malta reg is impossible as they require a local survey (like Ireland).

My boat dealer tells me many people are getting away with the Delaware flag in the Caribbean. The boat I'm looking at is already US registered and don't intend on bringing into US waters (I can't get a visa).

Perhaps a Dutch or Polish reg is possible?
Zolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 01:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ireland has no requirement that you have any flag. In fact there is no registration of any type needed for recreational vessels.

Hence an Irish citizen may hold any flag they like that they are legally entitled to hold by the flag state

For a quick flag state registration polish registration is very fast , and recognised widely and open to anybody from any country. It’s the current “ flag du jour”
Thank you for this! Looks like I'm going to the Poles!
Zolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 08:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolo View Post
Thank you for this! Looks like I'm going to the Poles!
FYI:

If you register with Poland, then your vessel should wear the Polish Flag with the Coat of Arms as the ensign and not the Polish flag without the Coat of Arms.

Reference image below:

As to "getting away with" a Delaware registration when the state is not the State of Principal use, just realize that it is invalid. And also note that registration does not provide for titling; there is no documentation of ownership of a vessel from the State of Delaware. So basically one is getting away with nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polish_flag_with_coat_of_arms.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	242935  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolo View Post
Bump. I'm in the same boat as OP. Almost literally.
Irish citizen living in Malta looking to buy a boat in the Carrbiean for a season. Broker in Grenada suggest the Delaware flag as flag of convience. Is this viable without as an individual?
Small world! We could have a better chat as we are both in Malta. Was planning to go last january but covid rules cancelled that plan. You can reach me at lastcallfordrinks@outlook.com if u fancy a chat
saltees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, yacht