Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 02:59   #1

Help moving a boat

I'm really new to this my budget is slim I've been offered a job at a marina with free slip in Jersey. I have been offered a really nice 34 cal I however am afraid to sail it from rhode island down for us to live aboard I dnt wanna be one of those people some else has to risk their life for cause of stupidity on my part I can't afford trailoring or paying some one to do it I'm very mechanically inclined and am not affraid of work is there anyway to trade my helping someone to maintain or fix up there boat in exchange for helping me get this accomplished I can pay for boat to stay were it is for a bit but the goal of the job is the free slip so we have place to live they kin of have to go hand in hand Thankyou for any response sincerly Larry
Shehatesmyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 04:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Help moving a boat

Larry, It's a short day from Narragansett Bay to enter at Watch Hill and either head on into Long Island Sound if the current is right or take an overnight anchorage behind the barrier beach at Watch Hill. It's wise to wait at the Throgs Neck Bridge for the better current through the East River to the Battery at NYC and out Butttermilk Channel to Raritan Bay.

......but then you say you're heading for "Jersey" and this is the unknown for those of us reading here. If it's by Liberty Island, then your there already or it could be up the Hudson or in the Raritan Bay area,- Atlantic Highlands area. ...or it could be another 150 miles down to Cape May .... or even another 150+ miles up the Delaware across from Philadelphia.

I'm far away and not available for helping, but those near you porbably need to know more about the destination. 'good luck & skill,
Old 31-03-2017, 07:41   #3

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

well, you have three things going against you here.

1) no money
2) new to sailing, and maybe to general boating as well (it appears that way from your post)
3) a new used and unknown boat.

before you do anything else, buy SeaTow and buy it now. It's $200 and it may save you MANY THOUSANDS of dollars later.

You really need to remedy those 3 things before you do anything else. Thankfully you can remedy the last 2 if you can remedy the first. I know that sucks, but you gotta do it.

Hire a surveyor/captain to go over the boat with you, and if he feels safe in it, sail with you down to new jersey. He can teach you the very basics without it being a class in sailing. You won't be a seasoned sailor at the end of the trip, but you won't be entirely green. Then once in New Jersey, get some sailing lessons. An average priced delivery captain charges about $500 per day, don't ask to charge less cause you will be there to help, trust me you aren't as much help as you think and he might even charge you more if you try to barter it down as help.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 17:03   #4

Thank you honesty may hurt but is better than death I dnt wanna lose the chance on the boat the marina I'll be working at has agreed to classes in exchange for training vessel cleanup and in all matter of speaking no one should have delusions free is just that. Fun and headaches hand in hand it's just the oppurtunities are there
Old 01-04-2017, 04:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehatesmyboat View Post
Thank you honesty may hurt but is better than death I dnt wanna lose the chance on the boat the marina I'll be working at has agreed to classes in exchange for training vessel cleanup and in all matter of speaking no one should have delusions free is just that. Fun and headaches hand in hand it's just the oppurtunities are there
You might want to rephrase this. Are you saying that your plans have changed and that you are no longer looking for assistance moving your boat?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Larry, All good advice above, you really need to know if that "really nice Cal 34"
is seaworthy and will be a suitable live aboard before you commit.
Not in place of a surveyor, but would helpful to you and your objective if you knew history of boat/motor, when last operated, talk to yard re maintenance and then posted info here.
for example...I may be interested in helping you move boat...but not with info provided
so far.
After determining condition of boat, time frame important, also, as requested above, where in New Jersey? ..are you talking to Cape May in early April in a questionable boat?
Sailing a safe/sound boat with a clean bottom and functioning motor to NJ not a big concern with some experienced help.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:49   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Get some photos and post them here.

Will let us tell you if you have an obvious problem boat.

Photos won't show if there are less obvious problems.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Walk the docks where the boat is currently located. Surely someone will want to go for a sail. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:44   #9

Normally Cal 34 is a popular boat easy enough to sell as long as it's in semi-decent shape. The fact that it is being given away for free makes one pause and ask - why? If the reasons are - the estate does not want to pay storage/dockage fees, etc it's one thing. But if it was for sale for some time and not sold, even at a few thousand $$ I'd be very circumspect about her condition. On the other hand if you are truly mechanically skilled and the boat needs "only" some engine work which you can DIY it can be a very good deal. My advise would be get a knowledgeable boat person to look her over and give you some indication of potential issues. I'd probably would not go as far as paying big bucks for a proper survey (especially since you stated you are financially challenged) but a decent enough inspection by an experienced sailor would show any major flaws. And since you could probably fix any minor flaws yourself you'd be OK as long as the boat is solid otherwise. Good luck.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 18:24   #10

No my overall plans haven't but ith all the food for thought digestion is necessary this is why after looking at other forums this is where I joined no one has me discouraged or been mean but remained honest to the love of safe boating I'm arranging a trip to the boat maybe I can do a thorough video and post
Old 02-04-2017, 08:17   #11

Boat: Laguna 30

Subscribed
keith4001r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Perhaps I missed it but I don't see any mention of the engine.

Does the engine work? Has the boat been used or moved recently or was it abandoned at the marina and left sitting for years?

Some history on the boat and its overall condition would be very helpful to the plan.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 19:29   #13

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehatesmyboat View Post
No my overall plans haven't but ith all the food for thought digestion is necessary this is why after looking at other forums this is where I joined no one has me discouraged or been mean but remained honest to the love of safe boating I'm arranging a trip to the boat maybe I can do a thorough video and post
You might try sailnet if you want to hear about every negative imaginable...coupled with mean delivery.

You have your hands full here...
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat