Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 17:57   #31
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Help me understand my boat's name - norwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Funny you should mention that. With a population of only around 400,000 everyone is at least slightly related to everyone else. There is even an APP you can consult on your phone to check out the guy or gal you just met at the bar and are thinking about going home with and see if you might be first cousins. It's called ÍslendingaApp and goes back to grandparents. The motto is bump your phones before you bump in bed.
Yup, I heard about that app thingy.
When I was dating my sweet girl in Reykjavik back in 1978, there was no apps but being from the mother land Norway I was safe and quite popular with the single girls up there.
(How do we turn the clock back and stay at that chapter forever?)
I was introduced to the family and could have had my own sheep farm in Iceland
if I was not restless and had things to do.
Old 30-06-2017, 18:12   #32

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

1978, ancient history. No offense. Actually that was just about the time i was born.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:58   #33
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. 1978, ancient history. No offense. Actually that was just about the time i was born.
No offense taken, had a good time back then, no idea why it should be offensive
That you were born 21 years too late.

Back on topic, understand the boats name?
Hope it is as clear as mud now..

My boat's name is Odin, short and sweet: The transom is rather narrow, needed a short name.
Home
Old 30-06-2017, 20:25   #34

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Odin is a good name for a boat considering he was among other things a wanderer who was far travelled. My boat is Mæva.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:27   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Not to get too Romantic here from all that is Germane but it may not be a Norwegian word possibly? Pelin in Spanish does mean something: a small amount of something or a little bit of something and can occur as a noun or an adverb:
Un pelin | Spanish to English Translation - SpanishDict
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02   #36

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

Quote:
rognvald

"Fat lot of good that did" for all of Europe as Adolph swept with his ferocious, efficient Blitzkreig across Europe. However, us thankless Yanks and our British brothers changed the course of the war forever on June 6, 1944(for the historically illiterate among us . . . that's D-Day).
Captain Rognvald

OT - sorry...

This optical illusion is typical for Anglo-Saxons. As early as late summer 43 the status af the resistance forces in Denmark changed from terrorists to freedom fighters!
Half a year before the Germans was defeated by the Russians. Under the Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940, the red army had learned the lesson and was well prepared. In my eyes the course of the war changed forever in the Winter 42/43 in the battle of Stalingrad.

Pierre
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:00   #37

Boat: DownEaster 38

Changing a boat's name should not be a big deal unless you are very superstitious. We changed ours from Nokomis (Hiawatha's grandmother) to Frøya(Norsk goddes of love) last year and she is still afloat! Up to you, but I would keep "Pelin" for curiosity sake. Endless discussion. Maybe have an image of a flaming arrow under the name for clarity. Have fun.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 15:53   #38

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec View Post
OT - sorry...

This optical illusion is typical for Anglo-Saxons. As early as late summer 43 the status af the resistance forces in Denmark changed from terrorists to freedom fighters!
Half a year before the Germans was defeated by the Russians. Under the Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940, the red army had learned the lesson and was well prepared. In my eyes the course of the war changed forever in the Winter 42/43 in the battle of Stalingrad.

Pierre
Hi, Vortec,
The battle of Stalingrad set the stage for opening two fronts--East and West which was certainly a contributory factor to Germany's demise. However, if the Germans maintained their alliance with Russia, and focused on Western Europe, the war would have ended much later but would have undoubtedly had the same result. However, there has been a spiritual hatred/enmity of Germans and Russians that is historic and has survived even today. Hitler's alliance with Stalin was a temporary stall to have access to Eastern European/Russian oil reserves and to forestall the eventual invasion of Russia by Germany. And, so that the record is clear, Stalin had no love for Germans or Hitler. So, your above point is certainly true, but for the historical record, it was the untenable opening of two fronts that derailed Hitler and Germany. The Allied Invasion was comprised of roughly 160,000 troops and materiale. And, if us Yanks did not intervene, as was the sentiment of the majority of Americans until Pearl Harbor (to remain neutral), Europe today would probably be divided East and West: East controlled by the Russians and West by Germany. And, in spite of Churchill's bold resolve and the courage of the great English nation, they would have succumbed to the Nazi war machine. So, your statement is partially true, but needs additional fleshing of historical fact to reflect the actual conditions that existed in the final statages of WWII. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. And for the record 418,500 American GI's died to save Europe from Hitler-- a number very close to the number of our good friends the English:450,900.

Tags
boat