Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2007, 09:12   #1

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Help me find a boat

Okay fellow cruisers, I am attempting a new approach to find a boat. Gord if this breaks a forum rule, let me know.

My family will be moving aboard late this Spring or early Summer. We plan to live in Port Washington NY and I will work in NYC. I have searched Yachtworld and broker listings exhaustively - and of course there are several boats that fit our desires (the desire for a cramped and austere existence ).

I thought it would be worth a shot to reach out to the forum in hopes of finding a boat hidden in the weeds. Do you know someone with a wonderful boat the has been considering selling?

What we are looking for:
3 staterooms, the more bunks the better. We will have 2 adults, 2 pre-teen boys and 2 older girls. The girls will be off to college within 1 to 3 years - but in the meantime will need to have a place for them.

sailboat - cutter rig if possible, but ketch would be fine.

good size salon with lots of light, big windows, pilot house would be great

lots of wood, with warm traditional feeling.

good condition - doesn't need to be perfect.

simpler better than all the bells and whistles

located along East coast - Florida to Maine

price range form 100k to 200k

If anyone has a lead, send me a PM. Please feel free to respond with thoughts and ideas.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 13:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I know they are called staterooms but...

I know that boats have "staterooms" but most that I have seen are just an oversized single bed jammed into a tiny cabin.

They would all be designed for charter where the name of the game seems to be to get as many couples onto the boat as possible.

Putting four adults and two children onto a boat in your price range (I assume that you are looking at 42' to 55') for long term live aboard is going to be very, very cosy.

Anything in that price range is going to need maintenance and upgrading and to do that with a boat full of family is not going to be easy.

Within your time frame it would take pretty close to three years to buy a boat and to repair/upgrade it to acceptable levels so I would suggest looking for a boat for two adults and two teenage boys with couch room for two adult visitors.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 13:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Are you looking for a boat that sails to weather decently or a fiberglass condo?

Are you absolutely SURE you want to do this?

Have you considered a trial period for doing this like chartering a similar sized boat for a month for example and seeing how well all these people get along in a similar situation?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 22:39   #4

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
There is a Tayana 48 on Yacht World for around two hundred . Great offshore , go anywhere boats , excellent interior , with plenty of room
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 06:12   #5

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

Thanks for the responses!
Boracay, we are holding on to the 3 stateroom criteria as an absolute, even if it is little more than a cubby hole with a reading light. There are thousands of very affordable boats with two large staterooms and a convertible salon. It is too bad they don't fit our criteria!!!! My wife an I are paying a price for having so many youngsters. Would do it all again of course.

Just yesterday, I found a very interesting Cheoy Lee Wittholz 53 which has 4 staterooms. Both aft staterooms have bunks. Pretty nifty galley. The boat has beautiful lines also. The teak decks make me nervous.

David M - we are sure we want to do this. Believe me, I've been quizzed many times. There are circumstances, which I won't share on this thread, but we have chosen to experience a lifestyle completely the opposite of our current suburban existence. Plus, I want my kids to learn how to navigate and anchor and play and dig clams and explore an island and meet new people and varnish and tie knots and see Mystic Seaport and Block Island.....

HenryK - I think I know the Tayana you mention. I couldn't recall whether it had the elusive 3rd stateroom. I will check again. Definitely love the blue water pedigree of that boat.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 09:11   #6

Will you do any modifications to the accommodation plan?
Several charter boat plans are loaded with cabins, though not large, because most the the "life" is on board, in the salon and cockpit.

Don't know which ones, but I would contact some charter companies that do beneteau, and jenneau. They often have split cabins for and aft!

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 15:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbmob View Post
The teak decks make me nervous.
Be nervous. Be very nervous.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 23:52   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
A catamaran has excellent separation of accomodations and could easily be set up for a family of your size.

I've owned several monohulls and one catamaran that we sailed around the world. When there are kids on board, the catamaran gives them their own space and it could contribute to them actually enjoying the cruise.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 15:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Sailing Magazine