Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 09:24   #1

Boat: Newport 16... looking for larger
Help! Great Lakes Escape!

Hello all! I desperatly need some help figuring out the scope of this problem.

I have been looking for my next boat for some years now. One that can take me anyere in the world I ant to go; safely and comfortably as a liveaboard cruiser. I have recently become very interested in a 31' steel hulled sloop with a full keel at approximetly 12,000 lbs displacement. It seems to fit all my needs and is a hearty ship to boot. I would love to sail the tropical carribean in this vessel.

The problem is location. Now this is where I need some help from you experts out there. The boat (the Patrician) is located in lake Superior. I live in Michigan, on Lake Michigan, so this is conviently close to home. However, if i purchase the Patrician I want to take her water sailing">blue water sailing, and down the Atlantic coast.

Now we get to the heart of the problem. I do not know how long of a sail it would be to go through all the lakes and out the St Lawrence Seaway and Eiree canal. Also, it is now mid-September, and I don't know if I could even sail out this time of year with winter closing in. I do not want to trailer the boat across the country to drop her in the ocean. Also, I do not want to buy this boat just to let her sit on the hard all winter.

Please give me some advice. Is it even feasable to sail out of the great lakes from southern Superior all the way to the Atlantic this time of year? Is it a safe passage in a boat that is new to me with winter chasing me? What would you do, buy this beautiful boat with its troublesome location and timing, or wait till next year for better weather, or a better vessel?

Thank You for any insight you can offer.
RedDragonSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 09:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We began the same journey from Thunder Bay in August of 1992, and arrived in Florida at the end of October.
This was a relatively sedate "cruise", not a fast delivery.
I'd suggest that it's getting late for a comfortable trip from Superior; but just barely "doable" if you depart VERY soon.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 09:40   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
With the cost of fuel, and weather turning. Maybe it is cheaper, and or wiser to put her on a truck? Especially if this year is the goal.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 10:29   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Your only problem is getting through the Erie Canal before it closes (about the middle of November but check their website). The New York State Canal System - Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga Seneca Canals
You don't need to go out the Seaway. Just Lakes Michigan, Huron and Erie to Bufffalo. Takes about a week to get to the Hudson from there. If you can't get through the Canal before it closes you'll have to wait till next year. If you want to go this year you'd better get a move on! Once you get to the Hudson it's about two months leisurely day sailing (or more like motoring) to get to Miami.
Old 24-09-2008, 12:17   #5

On a new to you boat? No............
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:26   #6

Boat: Newport 16... looking for larger
Thanks for the link to the erie canal Vasco!
RedDragonSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 15:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Please give me some advice. Is it even feasible to sail out of the great lakes from southern Superior all the way to the Atlantic this time of year?
I would agree with Gord. Once October hits the Great Lakes south to Delaware can have weather. It may not be snow but you might rather that than what you can get. The polar winds do send down some cold air and it mixes up with warm southern air and makes for a mess. Strong winds (Like we have here today) even if the sky is fair. Step the mast in NY and head east down the canal to New York City then down to the Delaware river. From there you can pick good weather to the ICW in Portsmouth, VA. You should want to be ready to head into NC early to mid November for favorable weather.

It all comes down how early the cold weather hits the Great Lakes this year. Some years can be early or late. That can make it 3 weeks longer or shorter.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 07:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
too late for a new to you boat. you will have issues to deal with and adding that to a tight schedule is not a good idea
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 13:34   #9

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Please give me some advice. Is it even feasable to sail out of the great lakes from southern Superior all the way to the Atlantic this time of year? Is it a safe passage in a boat that is new to me with winter chasing me? What would you do, buy this beautiful boat with its troublesome location and timing, or wait till next year for better weather, or a better vessel?
NOT being a sailor and all, I can't say anything about sailing out.

But if the timing for BUYING the boat is right, and you can afford to keep her stored until SPRING time, then perhaps your best reasoning would be to examine the costs associated with purchase now-sail later, or purchase now, ship-by-truck-now as opposed to attempting to sail it out yourself.

MY personal options would be the above, and no way would *I* try to sail it out (if I COULD do so) a new-to-me boat I'm not as familiar with as I perhaps ought to be. But that's me.

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:48   #10
Hal

It sure would be interesting to know what RedDragonSails did. If he took the boat through the Great Lakes and on to the Hudson, did he make it? How was the trip? The weather has been very cold this year. If he did make the Hudson, I hear you have to watch out for the big jets landing on the river. I see one did that yesterday. Great job ditching and the first pilot to ever keep a big jet in one piece! It was said that the plane looked like some kind of big new sailboat.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, new boat, steel hull