Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:14   #31

Re: Help Choosing the Project and the Designer/Naval Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
If you ever want to buy one completed to perfection, I know one that is coming to market next month. It is an amazing boat!

Matt
Details? It is a little early for me, but I have been keeping my eye on several boats on the market. My preferred plan is to head out when my youngest graduates.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:41   #32

Here is a lifting keel version of the Samoa 47. These guys look like they are doing a beautiful job.

Holidays Made For You
Old 08-01-2014, 09:15   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316 View Post
Here is a lifting keel version of the Samoa 47. These guys look like they are doing a beautiful job.

Holidays Made For You
Nice job, but it is taking them a long time. . . . looks like they cutting metal in 2003. I wonder if 'life' has gotten in the way.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Nice job, but it is taking them a long time. . . . looks like they cutting metal in 2003. I wonder if 'life' has gotten in the way.
I think it was always a part time effort. Considering the number of actual work hours judging from the blog, they seem to make good progress.

I am curious about the mechanism of the lifting keel. It looks different from a typical centerboard. I wonder how reliable it will turn out to be.
Old 11-01-2014, 15:26   #35

I am sorry guys for my late replies.
Boracay: I am already reviewing my initial premises, and some of my considerations are in line with yours! Thanks.
Vic_222: Thanks for sharing.
Cruiser2B: Thanks. I will do some research on your suggestion (bare hull Westsail).
DoubleWhisky: Thanks. I am not planning to live on the artic, but I want to visit some cold places occasionally without needing to worry or consider another boat.
Funjohnson: Could you share more info about it?
jrambo316: Thanks.
Best,
grafare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 20:29   #36

I have heard nothing but good reports of the Van de Stadt office when it comes to metal sailing boat design and design support, not just from owners, and owner builders, but from professional boat-builders (who can be quite hard to please, because they generally draw on experience of a number of different designers).

It's a question I always ask, so that's quite a few data points.

The traditional Dutch system of framing they have favoured in the past (typically 400mm centres for both frames and stringers, no fancy floating stringers, no fancy or nuanced mixture of structural approaches in one hull) is not the last word in structural efficiency or minimum cost, but it seems a very well understood way of reliably ending up with a fair, reliably sound and durable round-bilge hull.

And if you prefer hard chines, Van de Stadt office seems to make a nice job of those, too.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:19   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafare View Post
DoubleWhisky: Thanks. I am not planning to live on the artic, but I want to visit some cold places occasionally without needing to worry or consider another boat.
Of course, if You are considering some cold places to visit steel is good way to go. And I think, that Van de Stadt designs for steel are the way to go with the self manager built. They are not so oversimplified (and overbuilt) like for example some Roberts designs, but anyway You would be hiring some skilled workforce.
I believe Van de Stadts are just somewhat better sailers than Roberts.
But on the other hand must admit, that several built here Roberts 44 ft CC ketches are doing well. They were built mainly with Svalbard/Iceland/Greenland/Patagonia cruising mainly on mind and are used accordingly with success. As always - many depends on Your cruising program.
Anyway - wish You all the best regarding Your project

Regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 14:39   #38

no experience with these, but many of the designs are intriguing... and I understand that they have had success helping people get work done in other countries...

Sailing Yacht Designs
tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 19:06   #39

Hi guys, I am sorry for my late reply.

Andrew Troup & DoubleWhisky: I also heard very good things about Van de Stadt. He seems to be a very good choice and his projects are really interesting.

tmiller1116: Thanks for the referral.

Best,

Guilherme
Old 17-01-2014, 19:19   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafare View Post
Hi guys, I am sorry for my late reply.

Andrew Troup & DoubleWhisky: I also heard very good things about Van de Stadt. He seems to be a very good choice and his projects are really interesting.

tmiller1116: Thanks for the referral.

Best,

Guilherme
Two things . . . One, make sure whatever design you pick cones with CAD and cut files. Any recent design probably will, but some (like I believe some of Roberts) were drawn back in the paper days and may not have full cad support. You want to be able to automatically cut metal and interior panels. Second, van de stadt himself is long dead. The design firm has been run by other people for years . . . The guy I worked directly with there has in fact also left. Still good stick plans . . . But I don't really know anything about the NA's working there today.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 19:22   #41

estarzinger: I will make sure to remember to ask for CAD support. Also, I will keep in mind when I contact Van de Stadt.

Best,
Old 29-01-2014, 08:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
If you ever want to buy one completed to perfection, I know one that is coming to market next month. It is an amazing boat!

Matt
As I said in my previous post, it is a little early for me but I was tempted by your friend's boat for sure. It looks like he did a nice job! I am wondering why the broker listing says Americans cannot buy in US waters. Maybe they did not import the boat? Seems like it will be hard to sell in US to non US people.

1998 Vickers Aft Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

One thing I noticed was the small holding tank, I think around 10 gallons. Maybe I converted wrong.

Tags
arc, designer