Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 22:13   #16

Boat: 1976 Pearson 365 Ketch
Re: Heating Question

[QUOTE=roverhi;1401027]Winterize the boat if it going to be left vacant at all.

All systems have been winterized. I was just thinking that the addition of a Goldenrod would help keep moisture and condenstion in check, but not to safeguard the already winterized systems.
Andy
bioandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 11:44   #17

Boat: Colvic Watson motor sailor

Here in the UK we use dimplex tubular heaters fixed low down with a cover guard on 80 watts per foot they come in 1foot up to 6foot long very safe ours are on from autumn to spring 24/7
christhefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 13:28   #18

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

A 150watt light bulb produces approx. 512 btu/h of heat. Depending on the change in temperature (delta T) you would need at more than one light bulb.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 14:12   #19

A 150 watt light bulb cirrently heats my fresh water pumphouse. We have been in the teens at night and not over freezing in the day for several days now. The pumphouse is fine. Which only means really it's all about insulation and size of enclosure.
I have just purchased another Davis Drier I will replace the bulb with, (like a little 170 watt heater with no fan) although I've used the bulb for years, you just dont know when it will burn out.. Whether you use a Goldenrod, Caframo or Davis unit, it's all about the wattage you need. The Goldenrod only comes in 38 watts for the largest one. The Davis goes up to I think 170 watts.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 15:24   #20

Boat: Endeavour 37
Does though Goldenrod really work well? It's such a low wattage.
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 15:28   #21

I've had them before, dont know that I've challenged them much! 3 came with a boat I had, eventually I trashed them... had no idea they were $40 apiece!
I guess it's all about how cold it gets where you are. For the same price essentially the Davis and Caframo (although bigger in size) are more wattage....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53   #22

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A 150 watt light bulb cirrently heats my fresh water pumphouse. We have been in the teens at night and not over freezing in the day for several days now. The pumphouse is fine. Which only means really it's all about insulation and size of enclosure.
I have just purchased another Davis Drier I will replace the bulb with, (like a little 170 watt heater with no fan) although I've used the bulb for years, you just dont know when it will burn out.. Whether you use a Goldenrod, Caframo or Davis unit, it's all about the wattage you need. The Goldenrod only comes in 38 watts for the largest one. The Davis goes up to I think 170 watts.
Hello Cheechako. The amount of heat required to heat your space depends on several factors. What is the design temperature (ie -4 deg F), what is the boat insulation factor in either U value or R value, what are the internal sources of heat such as people and equipment, and lastly what is the desired space temperature that you want to achieve. Keep in mind that one kilowatt is equivalent to 3414 btu of heat.

A general rule of thumb for a building space is as follows:

BTU=Area X 1.08 X (T1-T2)

So a room 10ft X 10ft has a total volume of 1000 cubic feet and the temperature differential might be from 32 deg f to 70 deg f = 38 deg

BTU=1000 X 1.08 X 38
= 41,040 BTUs or 12 Kilowatts of energy or 80 150w lightbulbs.

Now a boat is different than a room with nothing in it and the variables change such as your fresh water pump house generates heat when the pump is activated and the space is much smaller.

It does come down to trial and what works and you have fortunately gone through all the trials.

Regards
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating