Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 07:47   #106

Boat: 1982 Baba 35 / 1977 Columbia Payne 9.6
Re: Heating our sailboat this winter in VA - HELP!

I have wintered in Hampton, VA the past two years. It does get cold. It does snow... I guess. I'm from the north. They may get 3" in a year. Shrink Wrap is not required. If you have shore power, a small portable space heater pointed towards the engine is all you need. Keep the temp setting low. The warmer the inside, the more condensation.The heater should kick on only for those really cold night.. heating the mass of the engine block. I don't winterize anything. Leave all lockers and storage compartments open. Use dampRid in closets and small spaces... The hanging damprid works well for the salon and larger areas, but the canisters are best for the smaller areas, like the cabinets in the head. Close all through hulls...
CaptainKevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 07:53   #107

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Small ceramic space heater AND a dehumidifier are most cost effective. I use these on my sailboat located in Ketchikan Alaska. Works fine in a humid climate with 150" of rain and snow.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 07:54   #108

Boat: Amel, Sharki, 40

I live aboard in Annapolis. I use 2 small ceramic heater on low setting to keep warm. A seperate cord / cicuit (one for each heater / circuit) does not overload the marina. Been doing that for years.
ARAS
S/V FIASCO
AMEL SHARKI #163
n33077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 07:55   #109

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Buy a De Longi portablecombo heat, dehumidifier AC unit for $400. You will be ready for Virginia and Florida.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 08:16   #110

Boat: Sabre 34

....I have spent 7 Winters on the "Chessie"..(Love that!)...and have two of these Craftsman ceramic heaters on my Sabre 34 which have done me very well. I also have a down mattress cover along with a down comforter for toastie sleeping.
....Get something like Aire-flow moisture barrier for under your mattress cushion or you'll wake up with wet sheets and mold.
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-cera...p-03290285000P
Old 30-09-2019, 08:39   #111

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I lived aboard my Gulfstar 41 for 5 years, 12 months a year, in Connecticut and tried a number of different heating systems. After going to work smelling like diesel, kerosene, etc., even with well vented systems using outside air, I wound up using electric space heaters. I needed two 1500 watt heaters to handled the coldest days (0 degrrees F) , especially on windy days. So I installed two 30 amp lines to power the heaters and other AC loads.

As has been noted, condensation in the winter is a serious issue. Even cooking with an open flame produces water and condenses on uninsulated surfaces (hull). I insulated all hanging lockers. I also showered at the "Y" during the winter months. I worked full-time and needed to dress appropriately (sport coat, slacks, tie, etc. and needed to be well groomed -- or at least not scruffy.

Electric was clean , maintenance-free, and could be stored ashore in the warm months. The coldest days still required heavier clothing at night, but were very manageable. The biggest hassle was getting fresh water tanks filled in the winter as hoses would freeze if left in place.

I move back aboard in a minute if I could convince my wife. By the way, she moved aboard when we married and we moved ashore only when the first child arrived.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:00   #112
WKW

My question is: are those small electric units really that bad? I had one going for weeks in my 27 foot boat on a trailer in my driveway in sub freezing temps (15-30 degrees)hitting under the hull, sides and top. I had a cheap 100' garden cable from the house to the heater too. I was surprised to see this tiny heater keeping the interior warm enough to do interior wood work and cure urethanes. These newer units do not get as hot as the old type and have safety features built in...tip over shut off and over heat shut off. Maybe have a few of these as back up and keep the interior at an uncomfortable 65 degrees. Wood stoves are absolutely amazing in every way. You will keep that boat dry and toasty warm but you will need to make a 4-5 inch hole for the pipe and baffle. Sitting here now thinking of my wood stove heating my house for 25 years now, 24/7 all through the NY blustery winter makes me smile
WKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:03   #113

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi

Whatever you do - dehumidify first and formost. Dry cold is managable, wet cold is unbearable and will ruin your interior. I use the Waeco stuff - the adsorbtion model. Even works as a heater of sorts, since hot air comes out at ambient temp plus 11 degrees C. I use the junior 8 lit per day model on a Lavezzi cat. This plus a small (1.5 KW) heater in each hull is enough. Mind you: this is The Netherlands. We get snow and ice at times, around 20 freezintg days per winter, but this is not Alaska. Still - dehumidify.
Boonzajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:13   #114

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana Morning Star (Dana 139)

Okay....I lived aboard for most of 11 years in Annapolis. I had a 36' Columbia wide body and here's what I found worked for me: First, I had two ceramic cubes with HI-LO selectors and tip-over switches in the base. I kept one aimed forward and one aimed aft. Most of the time I never needed to put them above the LO setting. For additional insurance, I put a clamp-on shop lamp (the kind with the aluminum shield) in the engine compartment with a heat lamp (red) bulb aimed very close to the engine. Keeping 400# of cast iron warm does a lot to spread heat aft and obviously in the engine compartment. It also eliminates the issue of freezing things inside the engine and exhaust, as well as cockpit drains. I never put antifreeze in the raw water side and never had an issue. Using TWO ceramic cubes was really more about spreading the heat evenly in the cabin, especially at night. During the day, the heat lamp and a single heater set on LO did the trick even through several tough periods. Interestingly, when it snows, it's to your advantage...at least it seemed to me...as the snow topside formed an insulating barrier of sorts. I did also use some stuff called (I think?) Damp-Rid which did a reasonable job of keeping moisture levels down. I actually placed them near the intake side of the heater and that allowed the heater to pull moist air across the Damp-Rid to help keep things drier. In my case (your mileage may vary), I put both heaters under the dinette table...pretty much out of the way. You will likely find you don't need the heaters nearly as much as you may think initially. Oh...and when lounging about, dressing in layers is good! :-) Bill
livnaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:39   #115

Boat: Toni Hansen Trimere 33

We live year round aboard our boat in Maine.

Install clear bubble wrap on the port lights. Reflective bubble wrap under your mattress and up the walls. You gotta be dock side with electricity. We use a small electric heater to maintained a low moderate temp. They are safe if used properly. Don’t overload power strips. That is where trouble starts. Our wallas diesel heater works great for added warmth when we are aboard. We just shrink wrap our cockpit. You need some place to kick off boots and coats before entering the cabin.
Supers0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:35   #116

Boat: George Stadel

We live mostly on our boat in Portsmouth, VA. It does get cold, even if it doesn't snow, which is does some winters. Electric Space heaters are the way to go. We have a 74ft boat with an 8ft draft. Two heaters keep it bearable. Not warm and toasty allowing you to run around in shorts and a tank top but you won't freeze to death. Placing the heaters inside warm the ceiling, bottom of the deck, so no ice forms there. Good luck and enjoy. Be safe on the Chesapeake. It's more unpredictable than people think.
bberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:52   #117

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

I lived in Norfolk one winter on my Hinckley. I only had a Pelonis heater. Of course I was at a dock.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 17:37   #118
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKW View Post
My question is: are those small electric units really that bad? I had one going for weeks in my 27 foot boat on a trailer in my driveway in sub freezing temps (15-30 degrees)hitting under the hull, sides and top. I had a cheap 100' garden cable from the house to the heater too. I was surprised to see this tiny heater keeping the interior warm enough to do interior wood work and cure urethanes. These newer units do not get as hot as the old type and have safety features built in...tip over shut off and over heat shut off. Maybe have a few of these as back up and keep the interior at an uncomfortable 65 degrees. Wood stoves are absolutely amazing in every way. You will keep that boat dry and toasty warm but you will need to make a 4-5 inch hole for the pipe and baffle. Sitting here now thinking of my wood stove heating my house for 25 years now, 24/7 all through the NY blustery winter makes me smile
Most marine insurance policies, and marina regulations, prohibit the use of portable electric heaters.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 00:14   #119

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

We lived aboard for five years in Olympia Washington. It would get to five below farenheit and up to foot and one half of snow. Walking the long dock was the worst of it. We used a Dickenson bulkhead heater and it was cozy. May I also suggest a good down quilt. It makes everything better. On our big boat we have a wood stove, two built in electrics, and a forced air diesel/ hot water system, but still miss the convenience of the Dickenson.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:10   #120

Boat: One-Off, 1953 Alfred Mylne, 35 ft

Hello,
If you are practical and technical I might have a solution for you.
I live aboard since 10 years on a classic wooden one-off boat.
Have had a Dickinson and a Refleks diesel haeter.
Since I am technical, I found my self continuously modifying and and searching in order to get a blue flame at all settings. And, I did it.
I now enjoy daily on the norwegian south coast a cosy warm and very economical heater.

Should you still thinking of installing a diesel heater, you can contact me for further info.
Since I am on pension, I have all the time to explain, guide and support you until you have a perfect functioning diesel bulkhead heater..
Feel free to contact me, we can talk via Whatsapp or skype.

Willem

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_162346croped.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	201247
starminx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, heating, sail, sailboat