Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 14:43   #1

Boat: Watkins 29'
Health Insurance Options

I know this topic comes up from time to time, just curious how you folks handle health insurance. I was downsized over a year ago and have been on unemployment and paying Cobra, that is coming to an end in April and would like to hear how everybody handles their health insurance. I'm still a year or so away from full time cruising and looking to get back to work, every job I find is temporary for 90 days or so, and then they may or may not hire you full time. Employers seem very skitish about hiring full time.
Old 18-03-2011, 15:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Re: Health Insurance Options

try surfing ehealthinsurance.com. should provide lots of choices.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 15:46   #3

Boat: Boatless

Most of the small to middling stuff like a hernia repair is better handled with cash, my wife´s last medical in Mexico cost $3.50 and for me 2 hours of very good dentistry cost $75.

However, for the big stuff you need repatriation insurace and US insurance or a UK based world wide insurance like BUPA.

International health insurance for individuals and families | Bupa International

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 16:23   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

We have never had health insurance while cruising, or most of my life, (just like hull coverage), but paid out of pocket, "in full", instead.. This is fine if you don't get something REALLY expensive! Our numerous Australian & European cruising friends were always incredulous that a modern country like the US did not yet have Universal Health Care, like the rest of the developed world. They all did what was necessary in their countries to remain in good standing, so that if something major came up, they could fly home to deal with it for free. (Some did just that).

We looked at alternatives, so we could "self insure". For minor things, health care is a fraction of the price down island. A number of cruisers from Marathon Fl., went to Venezuela to get Lasic surgery, at about 1/4th the price. (= GOOD modern health care.)

The really third world places, I would let set a leg, but not do heart surgery! If something major comes up, AND you have cash in the bank, there are "foreigners only" CASH Hospitals in a number of countries, like Germany. They represent the best care in the world, and might do a $250.00 operation (US prices)... for $50,000! By having a "looser pays", less litigious legal system, and being guaranteed to be paid, (first!), they can still make a profit that way.

Up to a financial point, this was our plan. Luckily we didn't have to try it out!

If one is under 45, and has money in the bank, I'd take my chances... We never found a US policy that would cover BOTH living in the US, and living abroad. They would cover one or the other, or if US based, cover a week vacation abroad, but not two years!

This was quite an education, so we just blew it off.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 17:06   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Mark,
That's good to hear, we are planning on leaving in 2 months for 2-3 years and have decided to do without insurance. Since we're both young we figured the world wouldn't end.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 10:52   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 43

Hubby and I got international health insurance coverage while we were traveling. It covered us anywhere in the entire world except the US (since US charges are so outrageous). The plan covered just about everything imaginable, including life flighting to the closest first world hospital if in an area without good care available. It was cheaper than our co-pay on our insurance from our jobs.

It may behoove you to start cruising this year instead of waiting until next year so at least you can get medical care. We found that in just about every 3rd world country there were hospitals for the rich that offered care as good as (or even better) as the US and were significantly cheaper. 1st world countries all have good care available everywhere at 1/4 - 1/10 the cost of the US. No exaggeration. 1/10 is usually the case. We made many trips to the dr. while cruising for minor stuff, but even with x-rays, lab work and meds, never managed to hit the $500 deductible for the insurance to kick in. In the US, one urgent care visit with x-rays and lab work is often more than $500.
ChristiGrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance, insurance