Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 18:43   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
We bought plastic snaps from sailrite that are glued to the aluminum hatch frame. These snaps come with a strong adhesive on their base... It works great!

Here they are:

http://www.sailrite.com/YKK-SNAD-40m...ked-Domed-Stud
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Hatch Covers

Clingwrap is a handy and cheap solution to condensation problems on hatches.....so I hear.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:27   #18

When I made our insulated Sunbrella hatch covers I ran a draw string inside a pocket at the bottom and simply draw it up to secure. This works because the Bomar hatch sits proud of the deck with a recess area between the hatch and deck.. Flush hatches might not work...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Covers are good for UV an somewhat for warmth, but storm window are better and potentially easier (varies with the hatch). Just cut a rectangle of 1/8-inch acrylic to fit the same space the bug screens fit. Further, they still let light in on nice days, important in the winter, when a boat can feel like a cave. I use both, and they really help when the temperature goes below freezing.

Sail Delmarva: A Few More PDQ Upgrades

They are frameless and nearly invisible.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:59   #20

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

probably made a hundred or so over the years, and what we've found easiest to make, take off, and replace is a fitted cover with a 1/4 inch shock cord around the edge..
on some of the newer powerboats, the hatch fits snug against the deck and wont allow the cord..
on those, we wrap the lower edge of the hatch with "Velcro" and sew in the oppisite side in the cover..
the issue with most is they dont fit the hatch snug.. wind gets under them and they blow off..
we have made some in strech material and they looked great but didnt last to long in the sun..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 16:31   #21

Boat: Morgan 461

Some posters said they want to avoid screwing snap fasteners on hatch frames because of dissimilar metals. Is this because of potential galvanic corrosion? Don't the metals need to be immersed in an electrolyte (e.g., sea water)?

I just checked my mast and everything attached to it is screwed on with stainless steel screws. I've heard it's better to use rivets for that, and now I'm thinking it should be aluminum rivets, not SS.

There'll be spray on the hatches, providing the needed electrolyte, but is this really the concern?

Am I missing something?
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 16:38   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

foggy sea air has salt in it. you do not need water to fuse aluminum and ss. i promise.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 17:36   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If its warmth ya want, or keeping heat and sunlight out, try cutting some 3 in foam to fit tight inside the hatch when it's closed!! Really helps a bunch and is cheap as heck !! all ya need is foam and a electric knife, and ya got some hatch covers, Inside!! Works for us, and they are easy to store when ya don't need em
Old 24-08-2013, 19:01   #24

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
A slightly different approach:
http://www.outlandhatchcovers.com/

The forum site sells them.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 20:26   #25

The nicest ones I have seen use three pieces of an extrusion (either PVC or aluminum) which will accept a bolt rope wh
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 21:34   #26

The three lengths of extrusion get fastened to the deck outside of the hatch, fit the bottom of the "U" in first, then the two legs. With a nice snug fit on the hatch cover the last side lays tight on it's own. I'll try to find a picture and pass it along, makes for a very clean looking installation.

PS try an anhydrous lanoline like Lancote to reduce corrosion between stainless and aluminum.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:22   #27

Yeah, I wouldnt screw snaps etc to aluminum hatch frames if that's what your asking. put your snaps on the deck and make your cover accordingly. Done carefully and well I supposed you could do it, depends on your hatch frame. Screws on masts get corroded in place very quickly and cannot be removed without breaking them off. This can be avoided by using Lanolin or other things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch