Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 14:43   #151
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Has Anyone Thought of Creating a Protected Marina in the Ocean?

I got some new ideas on a protected marina: it should have protection against politicians, salesmen, vegetarians etc.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 18:15   #152

Boat: a sailing boat

What's wrong with politicians? If they can keep offshore accounts in Panama, why can't we offer them offshore accounts in our 'protected offshore marina'?

I thinkg, given new vital pieces of data from Jedi, this business model looks more and more viable!

Anybody around with SS father to get the ball rolling?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 13:54   #153

Boat: She31 (I am male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What's wrong with politicians? If they can keep offshore accounts in Panama, why can't we offer them offshore accounts in our 'protected offshore marina'?

I thinkg, given new vital pieces of data from Jedi, this business model looks more and more viable!

Anybody around with SS father to get the ball rolling?

b.
What always makes me curious is when you have serious money why not just create your own bank in Panama or wherever.

I'm not rich by far and filed a corporation in Eastern Europe and obtained citizenship in a EU country for less than a 1000 bucks and 800 USD on a lawyer never living there just using bribes. I reckon I could start a Bank for cheap in some corrupt EE country and lose a few percentage points to the mafia then capitalize on the power of owning a bank remotely.

You need some sorta economy (does not have to be a good) in fact better if a corrupt one to create some sorta margins through interest rates.

Also why hide money in a bank anyway, seems counter intuitive.

Offshore Marina, with offshore Hedge Fund that manages many self owned banks in the most corrupt places = profit but also ='s international litigation see Pitcairn as an example, underage sex was the norm there and sorta still is until the late 90's but even a remote island of 50 some people that no one has heard of still faces the music nowadays but the accused including their Governor faced almost no consequences when New Zealand got involved.

Offshoring any idea only makes sense if you plan to stay there and can not be reliant on the mainland somehow or eventually you'll get hit. That was the only way the accused/guilty child rapist of Pitcairn are still free on the Island.
she31sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:28   #154

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by she31sailor View Post

(...)

I reckon I could start a Bank for cheap in some corrupt EE country and lose a few percentage points to the mafia then capitalize on the power of owning a bank remotely.

(...)
I have some relevant banking and EE experience. If you proceed I would be interested in teaming up. But only if you stick to the whole thing being corrupt and mafia related. I have worked for plain vanilla international banks and it was so boring that I went sailing instead.

Yours truly,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:18   #155

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
THERE ARE FEW PLACES TO LIVE ABOARD...BUT HAS ANYONE EVER THOUGHT OF CREATING A FLOATING MARINA WITH A SURGE FENCE TO CALM THE WAVE ACTION 3 MILES OFF SHORE?

OK so it's a la Waterworld.... but if you drilling platforms do it...why not have live aboard platforms with ferry service to a port for shopping? It could be protected from bad weather. It could be easily accessible... it could be open to NON-PUMPOUT people. It could be a TOWN!..... The problem is depth and ground tackle. BUT if you had enough people...it could work financially...especially with fast ferry service.... and think of the fresh air and clean water...

Remember 3/4 of this planet is water.
I hate to break the news to you but the answer is yes, it has been thought of. In fact it has been around for centuries, probably millenia. Floating villages are quite common in SE Asia and parts of the Pacific. There are hundreds maybe even thousands of examples.
It is a sad reflection on our euro-centric view of the world no one has mentioned them.

See http://www.cambodiatours.co/en/featu...-villages.html

I have visited several in Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and PNG. I have many pictures but not with me at the moment.

There is a lot more I would like to say but it will have to wait until I get access to a proper keyboard and not this tiny phone.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-04-2016, 10:04   #156
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Maus,

The Asian floating villages are principly on lakes, and a few in harbors or protected bays. I know of none of them that operate offshore in international waters.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 15:36   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Maus,

The Asian floating villages are principly on lakes, and a few in harbors or protected bays. I know of none of them that operate offshore in international waters.
Stumble

You are of course correct. There is the famous floating villages of Lake Titicaca in Peru and on the swamps of the Euphates in Iraq before Saddam Hussein drained them. All along the Mekong delta housing extends over the water for hundreds of kms. Finally what better example of what once was built as a floating village but ended up evolving into some thing less recognizable than the Italian city of Venice.

But there are many examples of coastal floating villages as well. Ha Long Bay in Vietnam has some wonderful examples where their children grow up learning to swim or row a boat while ours are learning to walk or ride a bike. Then there is Koh Panyi in Phang Nga Bay, Thailand which is visited by thousands of tourists daily. Erroneously described by just about every tourist brochure as a "Sea Gypsy" village.

There are literally thousands of kms of sheltered mangrove lined coastline along the Andaman Sea and South Asia dotted with hundreds of fishing villages built on flimsy sticks stuck into the mud and extending outward over the ocean sometimes for hundreds of meters.

The problem is not that these settlements as the OP originally speculated don't exist but that our westernised perception failed to recognize them. In more than 150 responses to this topic it was assumed the only form they could take would be in an exposed ocean environment needing huge and costly engineered constructions. While our cousins in so called undeveloped countries knew all along that you can do it easily if you work with the environment and not try to defeat it.

Old 25-04-2016, 16:59   #158
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

No, we did not fail to recognize inland lake, river or coastal floating / stilted communities... we are talking about off-shore, outside territorial waters
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 17:10   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, we did not fail to recognize inland lake, river or coastal floating / stilted communities... we are talking about off-shore, outside territorial waters
Oh well !! If thats the case then have you considered some offshore reefs in the South China Sea? You might have a Chinese military base nearby but if they can do it in international waters why can't civilians? ;-)

Old 25-04-2016, 18:03   #160
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
While our cousins in so called undeveloped countries knew all along that you can do it easily if you work with the environment and not try to defeat it.
I wonder if you'd want to swim in the waters surrounding these idyillic paradises you mention.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 18:36   #161
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I wonder if you'd want to swim in the waters surrounding these idyillic paradises you mention.
fstbttms,

Do you like my new avatar?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 18:54   #162
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
fstbttms,

Do you like my new avatar?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 19:30   #163

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 12:30   #164

Artist's conceptions!

Here's a real floating island the artist has been living on for the past ten years or so:

Richart Sowa: A green island made of plastic bottles - Greentravelife

Richard Sowa (Spiral Island) - en.PermaCultureScience.org
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 11:27   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
To the over obsessed over population crowd:

If you built a modern type city four stories high, the entire population of the earth would only encompass an area the size of Texas. We are hardly anywhere near some sort of terminal population number.

If you're truly worried about over population, and want to do something.... by all means, be the first to step forward and depopulate.
You may house them in a Texas but the crops needed to feed them would deforest several USA's.
The planet has already exceeded its carrying capacity.

Tags
rot