Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2007, 03:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Has Anyone Read...

The Essentials Of Living Aboard A Boat: The definitive Guide for Liveaboards
by Mark Nicholas
The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat: The Definitive Guide for Liveaboards

Sea also Mark’s Frequently Asked Questions (about living aboard):
Mark Nicholas FAQs The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 04:42   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
No, I haven't. Do you recommend it?
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 05:04   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Just bought a copy. We'll let you know what it's like when we read it. Now that's Cruisers Forum service huh?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 05:45   #4

Boat: island packet 37 starshine
Read it about 6 months ago.I would rate this book as average.Good book for someone who might be trying to make a decision to make the move or not.
Certainly not an end all read.
vonnwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 10:37   #5

Then what book would you suggest?
t4li3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 11:34   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
None, buy a boat, move aboard, short book eh?
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 11:37   #7
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
Oh frig, nice, now ya tell me!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 08:52   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
I read it a couple years ago. It's the kind of book that can provide assurances to someone who's nervous about making the decision. (I was already living aboard at the time, so I'm not sure why I read it.) It has practical value in that it puts forward a framework for the potential liveaboard person to consider. I feel that the book is more valuable for the questions that it poses than in the answers provided. (Cost comparisons are listed for a range of boat types, but, as we all know, different boats and different locations add just too many variables for one book to be able to effectively answer the questions.) The author was writing from the perspective of one who lived on a small sailboat (30', I think) in a marina in Boston. (The book will not be very helpful to one who is looking for insight on developing a cruising budget as it is oriented to those who want a floating house at a marina in their home port.)

I did notice that the author's web FAQ answers the questions in a way that suggests he is no longer living aboard, though. (Instead of saying, "I do [such-and-such]," he words the answers to say, "I did [such-and-such]." Hmmm.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 13:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
Best advice you'll ever get!

I just finished reading it. 80% of the info I had discovered in my own research of boats and liveaboards for the past 3 years. (..i.e. Using Yachtworld.com to research boats, selecting between a sail and a power boat, finding your comfort, upkeep and maintenance rates, etc) I did like the book for some of the commentary from people who actually live aboard, but you can get the same thing for FREE here... and the 20% or so of the information I didnt know was a plus...

It tells you things like:
-research boats on yachtworld.com
-find the boat that suits you best - sail or power - size, space
-bathrooms on boats suck
etc...etc.

If you already live on a boat it tells you nothing you new. And like Raven said in his post... if you want to live on a 30 footer in Boston during the winter, then this is your book. If you want to live in Hawaii or Florida, you can find most of that info on your own. But, I would recommend it if you are absolutely an absolute newbie about boats.

The best thing is to talk to people who liveaboard already... buy them a 12 pack of beer or a fresh pitcher of Margarita's and they will divulge all the ups and downs of their own experience.

I guess the biggest things to think about are:

-Do you really want to live aboard a boat, are you prepared for the cold-cold, the hot-heat, the sound of other boats traveling through the water, the rocking of the boat, etc...
-What type of boat fits you
-Where are you considering, what are their rates, how is the "community", what do they offer as far as services
-do you live off the anchor, slip or bouy
-if you have a pet, does the marina allow it, are you willing to train your pet
-Do you plan on sailing, cruising or just sitting in the slip
-do you go with the bare minimum or do you outfit the boat with the latest gadgets and toys

Im sure there are loads I've missed, but I hope you get the point...

Just make sure you know enough not to be suprised when stuff goes wrong...makes the shock a little easier to bare.

If you really want some good info on liveaboards... subscribe to liveaboard magazine from Living Aboard Magazine you can also find it at Barnes and Nobles or Borders (I just picked up the latest at BN)

Peace..
jimi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 13:58   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I was already living aboard at the time, so I'm not sure why I read it.
Kevin, I think the answer is when you live aboard you can do these things just because you want to.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 15:46   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
Kevin, I think the answer is when you live aboard you can do these things just because you want to.
True. That's one of the benefits of the lifestyle.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 16:05   #12

I finished it about 3 weeks ago and thought it did a good job of trying to cover enough ground to make anyone thinking about it be aware of most of the pitfalls and problems.

I enjoyed the book. I'd recommend it for anyone who's considering it and hasn't yet done it.

His frame work was in in Boston but he's also done it in L.A. . Mark's a personable guy.

Ken

Like a moth to a flame, I am drawn to the sea.
kenackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 18:37   #13

I'm fairly new to boating, brand new to sailing and planning to soon become a sailboat liveaboard. That's to say I'm the perfect customer for this book. For me it was definitely a good buy. Right now I'm a sponge for any boating / liveaboard info so I burned through the whole book in 2 days. However as the author himself admits he's no expert and can really only relate his own experiences about living aboard plus comments on what he's done wrong or seen done wrong.

If you have liveaboard experience the book doesn't have much to offer. It also has no information at all about cruising. If you're a newbie like me it's definitely worthwhile.
Hubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 03:22   #14

Boat: Koch Muiden, 37 foot ketch
My liveaboard neighbour said to me this morning (as it was blowing a south easterly and about to rain with a cold bitter wind off Mt Wellington) as he headed off to work "If I had the choice between spending the day in my warm and comfortable office or sitting in a raincoat in my cockpit in this rain - I would choose the latter"
Tonight, its a rolling sou' estery swell an sometimes I miss hitting the keys on the computer as the boat rolls and jerks against her lines. Love it!!!
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 13:22   #15

Boat: 1980 Hunter 33
I read this book cover-to-cover before moving aboard. It basically answered all my questions about buying a boat, including things about why surveys are important and how to deal with a broker. Although you can talk to people already living aboard in a marina, you're bound to get n-different answers if you talk to n-people. The budget spreadsheet from the author's website basically lets you get a rough idea if living aboard is financially viable for you. This is important for newbies who think they can get a boat for x-dollars and the slip costs y-dollars but they don't realize the significant monetary and time costs associated with boat maintenance.

A few random other things that I remember from reading it two years ago: 1) expect your things to smell funny e.g. you suits and shirts, if you are not proactive about it (yup, this happens), 2) liveaboards abhor paying slips fees elsewhere, as we'd rather "live off the hook" (very true), 3) always show up with something (e.g. booze or food) at a dock event to not be perceived as a freeloader.

So yeah, if you already living aboard, there's not much for you. If you're just toying with the idea and want more info, buy the book and read it! It'll certainly save you the cost of the book if you end up buying a boat.
knotstudying is offline   Reply With Quote