Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 06:32   #136

Boat: 37 Gulfstar
Re: Has Anyone Ever had 2 Boats as Liveaboards???

Rocketman: Having lived many, many years in SoFla, I can understand the aversion to cold. Personally, I love having seasons again and not having the Miami humidity anymore. Annapolis has a large liveaboard community and winters are generally mild (with the Snowmageddon and Snowpacalypse's of two and three years ago the rare exceptions). Folks in Boston shrinkwrap igloos around their boats and even down finger docks and live aboard through the freezing winters. I guess it's "to each his own." I would not want the extra expense and hassle (with two cats and a dog) of trying to find a land-based place for the winter, and have too many work and social commitments to want to miss wintertime here--at least this year.

Chris: I am a little worried about Horn Point having heard storms did a good deal of damage to boats there, but EYC has no cable TV and I don't want to deal with dish right now. ALM said they will bring a pump-out cart to your slip year-round and pump you out for $10. When the harbormaster's boat is running, they come to your slip for $5. I have tons of notes from my research; maybe I should organize them as best I can and drop them on my blog. Some liveaboards I found here on CF even met me for dinner last month to share their wisdom (yay, really awesome people); perhaps we can organize a group get-together again.
Old 19-09-2012, 12:19   #137

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post

Chris: I am a little worried about Horn Point having heard storms did a good deal of damage to boats there, but EYC has no cable TV and I don't want to deal with dish right now. ALM said they will bring a pump-out cart to your slip year-round and pump you out for $10. When the harbormaster's boat is running, they come to your slip for $5. I have tons of notes from my research; maybe I should organize them as best I can and drop them on my blog. Some liveaboards I found here on CF even met me for dinner last month to share their wisdom (yay, really awesome people); perhaps we can organize a group get-together again.
Understand; when we stayed at Horn Point, it was a bit breezy -- OK for docking that particular day (although the slip assignment made it a slightly "sporty" proposition) -- and that would likely be uncomfortable in serious weather.

Believe many would benefit from seeing your notes; certainly I would, especially if you've also done research on some of the other biggies in Back Creek (Port Annapolis, Jabin's, especially Mears) and some of the potential choices in Spa Creek (Yacht Basin, City Marina (on the Chart House side)).

-Chris
Old 19-09-2012, 13:34   #138
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well the Car on ice thing was just an analogy for someone who has not docked before. Though many a guest dock does require squeezing between two other boats on a side tie.

Agreed that two engine boats are much easier to dock and undock btw. But I have seen many a newbe crew docking 30-35 foot twin screw boat and it looks like they always have way too much fun the first six times or so.

You know, I've never used a spring line as the first line docking, though mainly because I single hand and dock to an upwind finger . But for crewed boats using a midship spring is a good method of docking.

I always do a double-ended spring line first (except that some yahoo stole mine right before Isaac came through). It gets the boat under complete control with one clip (it has a carabiner on it and i have a perforated toe rail).

It's a very tight spring line and the WORST line to use if the tides are going to be extreme. I hope he ripped a cleat out ...

TERRIBLE line to use for a tropical storm.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 20:36   #139
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Re: 80' Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Well, I have to admit that I have been put off by power Cats because the interiors didn't seem homey enough for me compared to the Trawlers, but this is actually quite nice, and, 5 cabins is awesome. The only problem is price. I don't know what the price of this is (couldn't find it), but it's an 08', so I'm guessing it's probably out of my price range.
Would something like $1.8M be out of your price range? This vessel cost considerable more than this to build, and you'll likely find nothing its size in the future at anything like this price. You might be able to own this vessel for several years and resell in the future for near the same price...certainly not a lot of competitive vessels like this around (built presently), and no new vessel will come close to competeing on price when the overall world economy does improve.

On the other hand the owner has temporiarly taken it off the market, I guess having second thoughts about selling in this market.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:13   #140

Re: 80' Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Would something like $1.8M be out of your price range? This vessel cost considerable more than this to build, and you'll likely find nothing its size in the future at anything like this price. You might be able to own this vessel for several years and resell in the future for near the same price...certainly not a lot of competitive vessels like this around (built presently), and no new vessel will come close to competeing on price when the overall world economy does improve.

On the other hand the owner has temporiarly taken it off the market, I guess having second thoughts about selling in this market.
yeah... 1.8 would be a HUGE stretch.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:30   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
I am in the process of moving aboard in the coming weeks. I can't speak from experience living aboard, but I can share with you some of the things that have helped me in narrowing in on the right boat and marina in the land-to-water transition. This doesn't address your specific "two boats" question, (which it seems you have logically solved already), but I thought some of this information *might* be helpful as you embark on this journey.

First, I highly recommend the book The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat. I already knew a lot of considerations covered there, but there were many I did not know enough about (e.g., living aboard in winter since my boating experience has been in Florida). The author is a lawyer who lived aboard for years right in Boston harbor. There are many other more technical books (great recommendations earlier in the thread), but this will be easier to bite off for someone with limited experience IMO. Also, I watched all the videos on his website Living Aboard | The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat by Mark Nicholas | Living Aboard.net

Second, start getting to know your "inner boater" in terms of whether you are a power boater or a sailor; I don't think you have to draw a line in the sand, but understanding the very real differences between the two can help guide your shopping. (If the trip itself is the journey, I'd think sail; if you want to get to where you're going, drop anchor, and have a cocktail, I'd think power. A gross generalization, but you get the idea.) Although I am actually now trying to close on a sailboat, overall power boats fit my "vision" of boating (aft deck and a rum runner) and for a liveaboard often offer much more liveable space for the LOA.

Third, start shopping for marinas! You are probably going to be in a 60' slip or a bulkhead, but for me, going from a 28' boat to a 34' boat to a 37' boat can mean a couple thousands dollars more in dockage per year. Also, you tend to get what you pay for. Want to be walking distance to nightlife and public transit--that marina will cost more. Want clean or luxurious facilities--visit every marina and look at them. As a gal, it was important to me that the shower is not a stall in a locker room environment; I want an individually locking shower/head/vanity unit for privacy and safety. Especially with a bunch of teens, I wouldn't plan on them using the heads aboard except as truly necessary--you'll be pumping out every other day and you may not have enough hot water to get through all those showers. As a liveaboard friend advised--think of it as college dorm life and take your bathroom kit down the hall to the bathhouse, and let the marina provide the hot water and cleaning service! Find out where your slip would be for the size boats you're looking at--a long, icy dock to the bulkhead with all your groceries in the snow isn't the romantic liveaboard image most folks conjure up. Bottom line: if you are not a cruising liveaboard then your marina is your extended living room, yard, laundry room, and bathroom--get the most out of it that you can for your money.

Fourth, as you will not be full-time cruising right away and will need to learn to handle the boat (ditto for me on both), focus first on getting your new "house" right. By that I mean things like laundry (coin-op laundromat? marina laundry room?), shower/head issues, does the marina have cable TV, is there wifi, what are the pump-out and winter water arrangements. I have taken the view that if I feel like I am camping living aboard will be short-lived indeed. We all have different thresholds as to creature comforts--climb around on a bunch of different boats of different makes, models, and sizes and do some soul-searching with your kids about what really will or will not work. You might find that CaptForce's cabin-divider scheme will actually work, especially if you settle on a marina with a lounge/rec room where the liveaboards can stretch their legs and the kids then have a place to chill out when they are too close for comfort.

Fifth, even if you can't drive the boat right away, get your whole brood very boating-safety-minded. Though you might not be getting away from the dock right away it sounds like you certainly have the determination and smarts to figure out driving the boat, learning the systems, etc. (Know that there is at least one other person out there bucking the naysayers!) But even dock-bound, safety is critical. If your boat catches fire or starts sinking, it is a much more imminent emergency than in a land-based house. Know where every seacock is in case the boat is taking on water; train all the kids on emergency procedures and radio use; etc. You have a much larger budget than I do and can likely hire more folks to do routine maintenance, but at 3AM with an emergency, I think the majority of boaters have to rely on the wits of captain and crew. (I hope my cats can handle the lines or a mayday call; I made the dog the Chief Safety Officer in the event of a Cat-Over-Board incident).

Sorry for the lengthy post and apologies if this went too far off-topic.
Awesome post!!! Don't apologize for length lease. I love when folks take the time to care and give tips and things to think about that someone (like me) may not have considered. Thanks for the info.

I had figured the kids could shower on the boat. But, ya know what, your right. Let the marina take care of cleaning the bathrooms and stuff. Less for me to have to worry about. Also. a nice lounge/ game room of some sort would be a great idea also so they will have a hang out spot other than under me

Good luck on your new purchase. Are you moving aboard solo or do you have a family also?
Old 23-09-2012, 09:40   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Charter a Vessel

I'm sure it has been suggected previously that you should go out and charter a few vessels to help determine what you might find appealing.

Here is one vessel I would suggest you go charter to get an idea of a sizable sailing cat. I think you might find this vessel quite nice, and from what I read the captain and his wife are very accomodating. If nothing else you would have a very nice fall or winter outing.

Cat's Meow
The Catamaran - Sail Trekker

http://www.sailtrekker.com/summer-2012.html
Old 23-09-2012, 09:54   #143

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Charter a Vessel

Quote:
Looks a lot like a trimaran to me.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:03   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Has Anyone Ever had 2 Boats as Liveaboards???

Not intentionally. Going through a second bout with it even though I promised myself, I'll never do THAT again. I am hoping to sell the first boat because I bought the second boat without selling the first boat first. On the outside chance we dont sell the first boat we are still going inland cruising with the second boat. The first boat will be come our winter home while the second boat chills out in northern Ky. To keep the record straight, the first boat is really the eigth boat and the second boat is the 9th boat. Just didn't want to confuse you.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 18:28   #145

Re: Charter a Vessel

Quote:
I'm sure it has been suggected previously that you should go out and charter a few vessels to help determine what you might find appealing.

Here is one vessel I would suggest you go charter to get an idea of a sizable sailing cat. I think you might find this vessel quite nice, and from what I read the captain and his wife are very accomodating. If nothing else you would have a very nice fall or winter outing.

Cat's Meow
The Catamaran - Sail Trekker

Summer 2012 - Sail Trekker
Thanks for the suggestion. The boat does look very nice, warm and cozy...and, they travel through my neck of the woods.
Old 04-10-2012, 13:18   #146

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Here is an ebay listing for a 70' Custom steel twin diesel 5 cabin New Zealand Motorsailer, world cruiser. If close to you, take a look at it just to get some ideas. I very much doubt that it will sell, so you have time to go look at it someday. By the way, never buy on ebay unless you can inspect first, and for something like this you MUST get a survey done to keep your emotions from running away with you, and as bargaining points to talk the price down.
70' Custom steel twin diesel 5 cabin New Zealand Motorsailer, world cruiser!! in Sailboats | eBay Motors
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34   #147

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Here is an ebay listing for a 70' Custom steel twin diesel 5 cabin New Zealand Motorsailer, world cruiser. If close to you, take a look at it just to get some ideas. I very much doubt that it will sell, so you have time to go look at it someday. By the way, never buy on ebay unless you can inspect first, and for something like this you MUST get a survey done to keep your emotions from running away with you, and as bargaining points to talk the price down.
70' Custom steel twin diesel 5 cabin New Zealand Motorsailer, world cruiser!! in Sailboats | eBay Motors

Specs and pics make it seem worth a look. Agree, marine surveyor required. ALSO mechanical survey, preferably done by someone familiar with Lehman diesels.

With some prior research for reputation and general impressions: Nelson boatyard (builder) in NZ, Lehman diesels (parts?), gears (parts?), etc.

-Chris
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07   #148

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Since the boat is made in NZ, check on shore electrical system. In the States we use 60 Hertz 120 volts. In NZ it is 50 Hertz frequency and about twice the volts. If this boat has isolation transformers that can handle either frequency, maybe you can get by, the the wiring could be undersized because twice the volts means half the amps for a given amout of power. Also the appliances could all be 50 Hertz and will run faster on 60 Hertz.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 16:33   #149

still a good deal at a Hundred grand....for a lovebird with rooms to let to nurses for your headache.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...son-91086.html
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote