Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2018, 09:18   #61

Boat: Coronado 35
Re: Harbor Patrol inspection question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
I officially got my live aboard acception in my marina and need to get Harbor Patrol permit so i have an inspection coming up. what sorts of things will they be looking for?

My guess is fire extinguishers, holding tank requirement with working diverter valve, flares, horn, bell or whistle, pfd's, throw able pfd, engine compartment fan, discharge placard. what am i missing? does that pretty much cover everything?
I lived aboard in the Port of L.A. for years, they were supposed to inspect every year, but they really only got around to it every 5 years or so. They had a check list to prepare. The only thing I can think of that you didn't mention, is they had me turn the bilge pump on to show that it worked and I knew where the switch was.
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 12:09   #62
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
I lived aboard in the Port of L.A. for years, they were supposed to inspect every year, but they really only got around to it every 5 years or so. They had a check list to prepare. The only thing I can think of that you didn't mention, is they had me turn the bilge pump on to show that it worked and I knew where the switch was.
well crap i just tore out my bilge pump. looks like i have a new pump to install on sunday. thanks for that...i was kinda wondering if he would require it to be working for the inspection.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 13:35   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Cwierz View Post
My dear friends,
You know, the USA is kind of becoming like a dictator country, everywhere they are inspecting you. What the hell, with so many inspections. Every inspection that they make it goes against my freedom as a normal citizen. If I am allowed to have a boat, and if I am permitted to use it, please do not restrict my freedom by all of these inspections. If these continue, there will be propeller inspection, shaft inspection, engine inspection, hull inspection, radio emission inspection, everything will be an option to be inspected, and, loo, for all of these you will have to pay. Gee, where is our freedom, freedom of movement, freedom of sailing, freedom of,whatever. I guess that even if you have a plain sailing boat they request you have a fire extinguisher, even if you don't have a stove, of any cooking apparatus. Yes, you need a fire extinguisher, because you have a Zippo cigarette lighter, Oh, come on, bull shl... Oh, yes, you have to have an inspection if you had missed last inspection.
You know, before, for getting a registration number from the USCG, it was free, now you have to pay 26.50. Aww, come on, sailors, get together and get rid of all this unnecessary things. Freedom is FREEDOM.
Of course, Harbor Patrol has to earn their money, new source of work created, but, on a fake basis. Impinging our freedom.
Now, pay your insurance, and if they catch you doing something awful, let the insurance pay for the damage. But get coverage.

By first world standards, the US requirements for minimum safety equipment would be considered at the lax end of the scale.
Old 22-09-2018, 13:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
I officially got my live aboard acception in my marina and need to get Harbor Patrol permit so i have an inspection coming up. what sorts of things will they be looking for?

My guess is fire extinguishers, holding tank requirement with working diverter valve, flares, horn, bell or whistle, pfd's, throw able pfd, engine compartment fan, discharge placard. what am i missing? does that pretty much cover everything?

Instead of guessing, why not go to the USCG website and check out the official minimum equipment list? They also have a quiz you can complete.

Online Virtual Vessel Safety Check

Generally, they like to see that the diverter valve is secured (in the closed position of course). I drilled a hole through the handle and secured it with a zip tie.
Old 22-09-2018, 14:38   #65
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Instead of guessing, why not go to the USCG website and check out the official minimum equipment list? They also have a quiz you can complete.

Online Virtual Vessel Safety Check

Generally, they like to see that the diverter valve is secured (in the closed position of course). I drilled a hole through the handle and secured it with a zip tie.
thanks i already checked that link out. have a few flares to buy and a new flashlight. diverter is locked in place with small padlock. only thing left is bilge i guess.
Old 22-09-2018, 15:43   #66

Boat: S&S 40

That is a strange one..here in Australia all one needs is insurance and money to pay the ever escalating fees.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 16:06   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Why would you remove the bilge pump?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 16:57   #68

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
More to the point, why would you have one fitted that doesn't work? IMHO Probably the most important small safety item on board.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 17:17   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Sounds like a police state ! I will remain in my junta controlled country and do what I like LOL
Old 22-09-2018, 19:22   #70

Boat: Coronado 35

if you're close by let me know, I might have an extra one.
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 20:13   #71
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
it was in pretty bad shape and stopped working, fairly old and there is no power in the severely corroded, exposed wires at the pump end. i bought a nice new Rule UL listed pump and 25ft of sealed bilge wire, heat shrink crimps the works....
Old 22-09-2018, 20:17   #72
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
if you're close by let me know, I might have an extra one.
hey thank you i really appreciate the offer. i had already bought a new one a couple of weeks ago but havn't been able to spend enough time at the boat to install it yet. will be nice to have clean wiring and a new pump i know works.

Tags
inspection