Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 11:20   #46

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40
Re: guns and sailing

Peter Blake I'm sure in hindsight regrets carrying a gun.
hobsonlea is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 00:20   #47

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Don't forget the EU has about 4000 years of history killing each other. Now we are over that malarkey we are all best buddies, most of the time

The US will eventually be like us, it will just take a few centuries before you lay down those guns.

Pete
Wow, is that sarcasm? If it is, I'm sorry I didn't recognize it as such.
I find that statement "that you are all best buddies and over that malarkey" rather ludicrous, having been part of the force that protected that part of the world from breaking out into killing each other (again) for many decades, and not too long ago.
Oh, but you're completely over that now...oh wait, there's Ukrain (oh but they're not EU, so it's COMPLETELY different). Never mind, Russia really is Europe's best buddy...
If you actually study history, you'll find that same attitude prevailed before several of the last few conflagrations.
But I digress....
Old 05-08-2017, 00:21   #48

Boat: 450S

If you carry a gun then be prepared to use it. If it comes out then you do so to pull the trigger otherwise waving it around as a deterrent is likely to get you shot. If the threat is theft then a firearm is more likely to unnecessarily excelate the situation. You're Brazilian, bust out some MMA...
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 02:17   #49

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

When we sail to the (most of the time) uninhabited islands to the north, we bring a .22 rifle to bag/defend against the feral pigs that roam the savanna.

The Division of Fish & Wildlife encourages the practice, as the pigs are a threat to endemic terrestrial wildlife, and pork jerky is popular with the crew.

Outside of our jurisdiction, however, the .22 stays home; I remember more radical days when "death to the pigs" had a different connotation...
hafa is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04   #50

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

A lot of people seem to be jumping on to this thread with the assumption that you are just another U.S. gun nut. You said, of course, that you are Brazilian.

International oceanic law specifies that it is the law of the flag nation that rules, at sea. So someone from the U.S. cab carry a gun onboard because U.S. law allows it, and the question is what well be required by the nations you visit.

But as a Brazilian, the first question is what restrictions does Brazil place on civilian firearms on boats. I've read very little about Brazilian gun laws and nothing about how they apply to boating, but I'd be very surprised if they were as relax as U.S. law.

So start with researching your own law, because that's what you're going to have to operate under, when you leave and while you're at sea.
Jdege is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 06:26   #51

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
A lot of people seem to be jumping on to this thread with the assumption that you are just another U.S. gun nut. You said, of course, that you are Brazilian.

International oceanic law specifies that it is the law of the flag nation that rules, at sea. So someone from the U.S. cab carry a gun onboard because U.S. law allows it, and the question is what well be required by the nations you visit.

But as a Brazilian, the first question is what restrictions does Brazil place on civilian firearms on boats. I've read very little about Brazilian gun laws and nothing about how they apply to boating, but I'd be very surprised if they were as relax as U.S. law.

So start with researching your own law, because that's what you're going to have to operate under, when you leave and while you're at sea.
Respectfully, it doesn't work like that. He has to obey the laws of the country whose waters he cruises through. Once he leaves Brazil, Brazilian gun legislation has no relevance.

Check the current legislation of the countries you intend to visit and respect their laws. I can't think of a single reason to take a gun to Europe (or pretty much anywhere else in the world). There are just a few "hot spots" around the world where security is an issue (Brazil has a few). Easier just to avoid them.
Copacabana is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 06:32   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Respectfully, it doesn't work like that. He has to obey the laws of the country whose waters he cruises through. Once he leaves Brazil, Brazilian gun legislation has no relevance.

Check the current legislation of the countries you intend to visit and respect their laws. I can't think of a single reason to take a gun to Europe (or pretty much anywhere else in the world). There are just a few "hot spots" around the world where security is an issue (Brazil has a few). Easier just to avoid them.
On a Brazilian-flagged boat, it's Brazilian law that applies when in international waters.

If it's illegal under Brazilian law for him to carry a gun on board, the gun laws of other countries are moot.

He needs to make sure it's legal for him to carry under Brazilian law before he concerns himself with the laws of the countries he'll be visiting.
Jdege is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 06:42   #53

Quote:
On a Brazilian-flagged boat, it's Brazilian law that applies when in international waters.

If it's illegal under Brazilian law for him to carry a gun on board, the gun laws of other countries are moot.

He needs to make sure it's legal for him to carry under Brazilian law before he concerns himself with the laws of the countries he'll be visiting.
Brazilian law only applies while he's still in Brazil. His plans are to head to Europe, where he will be subject to local law, once in their waters.

Are you suggesting that if your home country allows you to carry a pistol you can simply carry a pistol in any country, just because your national legislation allows it? Try entering Candada with a gun from the US to see how that works out.

Also, as his plans are not to float around in the middle of the ocean, but to visit countries, the point about "international waters" is moot. I'm not even sure if there are international waters in the Med, given its size.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:00   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No, I think his point was If Brazilian law forbids it, he is forbidden to take a gun from Brazil, so what is allowed where he is going is mute, cause he can't leave with one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 07:03   #55

Quote:

Very intesting indeed:

From Wikipedia

Quote:
In Brazil, all firearms are required to be registered with the minimum age for gun ownership being 25.[1] It is illegal to carry a gun outside a residence, and a special permit is granted to certain groups, such as law enforcement officers.[2] To legally own a gun, an owner must hold a gun license, which costs BRL R$1000,[2] and pay a fee every three years to register the gun, currently at BRL R$85.[3] Registration can be done online or in person with the Federal Police.[4] Until 2008, unregistered guns could be legalized for free.[5]

It is estimated that there are around 17 million firearms in Brazil,[6] 9 million of which are unregistered.[1] Some 39,000 people died in 2003 from gun-related injuries nationwide.[6] In 2004, the number was 36,000.[1] Brazil has the second largest arms industry in the Western Hemisphere.[7] Approximately 80% of the weapons manufactured in Brazil are exported, mostly to neighboring countries; many of these weapons are then smuggled back into Brazil.[7] Some firearms in Brazil come from police and military arsenals, having either been "stolen or sold by corrupt soldiers and officers."[7]

In 2005, a majority of Brazil's population voted against banning the sale of guns and ammunition to civilians in a referendum. However, the Brazilian Department of Justice (Ministério da Justiça), at the time it performs each individual's mandatory background check (which is made prior every gun acquisition, and every three years after it is acquired, which allows gun confiscation at the discretion of authorities), have been forbidding almost every citizen to buy guns,[8][9] based on the Executive Order # 5.123, of 07/01/2004 (Decreto n.º 5.123, de 1º de julho de 2004),[10] that allows the Federal Police to analyze the reasons that motivate a gun acquisition and the will of keeping an acquired gun, in which "self defense" is not considered a valid argument because there are allegedly sufficient and efficient public police officers that are in charge of nationwide security, among other reasons for this kind of denial.[11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Brazil
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, I think his point was If Brazilian law forbids it, he is forbidden to take a gun from Brazil, so what is allowed where he is going is mute, cause he can't leave with one.
Yes. And that if it's illegal for him to carry a gun onboard according to the law of his boat's flag nation, it's illegal anywhere in the world, regardless of the laws of any country he might be visiting.
Jdege is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Very intesting indeed:

From Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Brazil
There are countries for which the laws concerning guns on overseas boats are very different than guns in the country. I'd not assume that laws cited above apply to a cruising boat.
Jdege is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 07:32   #58

Quote:
Yes. And that if it's illegal for him to carry a gun onboard according to the law of his boat's flag nation, it's illegal anywhere in the world, regardless of the laws of any country he might be visiting.
Are you sure about that? I can't see how Brazilian law has any authority outside Brazil. I somehow doubt the local authorities around the world know the gun laws of the home countries of visiting boats. I believe they just apply the laws of their nation. Abortion is ilegal in Brazil. Does that mean a Brazilian having an abortion in another country, where it is legal, is breaking the law?

At any rate, the OP should do his homework and check the laws of each country he intends to visit.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:52   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Are you sure about that?
At any rate, the OP should do his homework and check the laws of each country he intends to visit.
Yes.

Maritime Law:

Quote:
Once a ship is 24 miles from any coastline, it's on the high seas (or international waters). With the exception of certain rights within the contiguous zone, the law of that ship is the law of the country whose flag it's flying. So, a Liberia-registered cruise ship that's 25 miles off the coast of California isn't subject to U.S. law; it's subject to Liberian law.
Jdege is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57   #60

Quote:
Yes, but that's the "high seas", international waters, not local waters. I believe the OP will be visting countries.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, sail, sailing