Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 14:54   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
You would have a tough shot at 1000 yards. Not needed. @ 100 yards close enough to stop the outboard and make believers out of the pirates. I don't assume that because I find something difficult, that others would find it impossible as well. Some of us have a different skill set than others.
Why would a leisure sailors be in an area frequented by pirates.

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 14:56   #32
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor518 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here.

So what about the idea of archery equipment (bow or crossbow) as a line of self defense while aboard a boat? Are there regulations governing this when traveling to foreign destinations?
Crossbows are typically illegal in many countries. And long bows are far too awkward.

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 15:04   #33
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

Of course there was the late Sir Peter Blake. He lost his life for the sake of an outboard and some wrist watches. Mark makes some really exceptional points. The USA is probably unique in the developed world as far as its 2nd amendment is concerned. When travelling O/S one really needs to remember that cultures vary immensely and a "right" to bare arms does not exist in most countries. While its not illegal in many, the process of ownership and usage is much more difficult.
This is not really the situation. Outside of the US, most countries allow there citizens to posses a reasonable variety of firearms , especially long guns etc. what's different is two things. Firstly strict rules in regard to using a firearm to defend yourself and secondly the rules are much tougher on non nationals arriving with firearms. ( which is true of non nationals arriving on a boat into the US with firearms. ) Then couple in the fact that in many countries , there is a strong desire for gun control and most people never see a firearm in their whole life, add all this up and You get a very stringent public attitude to firearms. It's wrong to characterise foreign countries as somehow being " denied" such , " rights".

Ps Peter Blake lost his life because he attempted an armed defence and he failed.had he had no gun , he would still be alive.

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 15:09   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Boom!!

Old 25-11-2013, 15:12   #35

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Everyone thinks theyre Rambo... WHy not put a Harpoon from a Japanese Whaling boat on the bow of your 32ft day sailor.. Most pirates in didgy areas whilst cruising will be watching you through the day until you go to sleep and then theyll sneak out there and rob/kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I didn't feel this was following the other thread so I decided to start my own.

Has anyone on this board actually used a gun to defend their boat?

The closest I came was to have the gun by my side at 3AM when approached by a skiff with 5 guy's aboard. I was anchored in a small bay about 5 miles from anywhere. They never saw the gun, but it made me feel better that it was there. They were just about to board when they saw me. I told them to keep going, they did.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:15   #36

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
so in the US you're allowed to have guns on board and very few boats are boarded if any and in foreign countries you're not allowed to have them so then you get your boat bored with people with guns and you give them your stuff because no one's allowed to have guns except those that are not supposed to have them. Got it...
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:16   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Gun quewstion, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
So you break the law.

Surprised you haven't ended up in some grotty 3rd world prison by now, its happened before.
thats why i allways carry some ** money in cash,a policeman on $50 a month is apt to develop temporary blindness when offered $100 to pay for his lunch
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:19   #38
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
so in the US you're allowed to have guns on board and very few boats are boarded if any and in foreign countries you're not allowed to have them so then you get your boat bored with people with guns and you give them your stuff because no one's allowed to have guns except those that are not supposed to have them. Got it...
Naw more like in the US You get boarded by a bunch of guys with guns , a firefight breaks out , people including you die or get injured. In a foreign country , the guy boarding your boat , sells you fresh prawns for a packet of cigs , you crack open the local hooch,.....

Depends on how you look at it.

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 15:24   #39

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
well I like the drinking part anyways
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:24   #40

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Never had to fight off a brown bear or a rabid muskrat?
Hahaha, I was talking about human critters, but since you ask, I have had to resort to my rifle to defend myself from an overly agressive bear.
Old 25-11-2013, 15:29   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

even the girls were gung ho
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17867_399432525436_710060436_10438089_1785293_nnanny from hell.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	71054  
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:34   #42

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is not really the situation. Outside of the US, most countries allow there citizens to posses a reasonable variety of firearms , especially long guns etc. what's different is two things. Firstly strict rules in regard to using a firearm to defend yourself and secondly the rules are much tougher on non nationals arriving with firearms. ( which is true of non nationals arriving on a boat into the US with firearms. ) Then couple in the fact that in many countries , there is a strong desire for gun control and most people never see a firearm in their whole life, add all this up and You get a very stringent public attitude to firearms. It's wrong to characterise foreign countries as somehow being " denied" such , " rights".

Ps Peter Blake lost his life because he attempted an armed defence and he failed.had he had no gun , he would still be alive.

Dave
We can tell by the way that you spell "defence"that you likely come from an area where people abhor guns. The vast majority of people in the country i am located in dont share that same aversion to such tools. Peter Blake could just have easilly wound up just as dead as others who were unarmed, but nonetheless, killed by pirates.

For those who detest guns, I think a good system to repel boarders would be a ring of piping with properly sized orifices aimed down and away from the ship, around the perimeter which could spray a nice jet of fire fueled by pressurized propane. Incinerate them when they get close enough to have demonstrated their intentions, but not far enough to be out of range. You dont want to use gasoline, since it sticks to the boat, and floats on the water.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:37   #43

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
even the girls were gung ho
I have that Mini-14 in stainless for marine use.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:38   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
We can tell by the way that you spell "defence"that you likely come from an area where people abhor guns. The vast majority of people in the country i am located in dont share that same aversion to such tools. Peter Blake could just have easilly wound up just as dead as others who were unarmed, but nonetheless, killed by pirates.

For those who detest guns, I think a good system to repel boarders would be a ring of piping with properly sized orifices aimed down and away from the ship, around the perimeter which could spray a nice jet of fire fueled by pressurized propane. Incinerate them when they get close enough to have demonstrated their intentions, but not far enough to be out of range. You dont want to use gasoline, since it sticks to the boat, and floats on the water.
i belive some of the new "hunters" are including this as an optional extra
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:39   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
I have that Mini-14 in stainless for marine use.
ideal for big tuna
atoll is offline   Reply
Closed Thread