Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 16:10   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Gun quewstion, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Are you suggesting that you are an American Indian or a Palestinian?

Does that give you the right to break the law?
which law?

americas law?,wouldnt dream of it
uk law,no way
european law,never
miky mouse 3rd world bannana republic different story
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 16:11   #62

Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think he means you should experience the other side of life in some of these countries.

Dave
And that I have done.
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 16:12   #63
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

which law?

americas law?,wouldnt dream of it
uk law,no way
european law,never
miky mouse 3rd world bannana republic different story
Of course then you get to stay in miky mouse 3rd world gaols.

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 16:16   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Of course then you get to stay in miky mouse 3rd world gaols.

Dave
last time i checked i had visited over 100 countries,must have had weapons onboard in at least 70 of them
so far a free man
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 00:37   #65
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Unfortunately, in some parts of the world, a bribe is expected to get things rolling and even customary much as would be leaving a gratuity for a waitress.
Quote:
I had no intention of singling Astrid out and I also note she is Canadian, but my point stands.
Tipping is not part of many other countries culture, but since those from lands with a tipping culture have been giving them, without thinking, it is becoming more expected.
Well this thread (as usual) has strayed far from the OP's question so I don't feel too bad in continuing the thread drift

Tipping is just another form of corruption but one apparently not only tolerated in the USA but actually encouraged yet a dim view is taken on other forms of corruption.

OK now back to whether anyone has actually used firearms on board to defend their property or person.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 04:39   #66

If being "on board" my canoe counts, then yes I have.
And had to shoot a pissed off turtle, or three, or more on a trot-line from a fishing boat.
Saved a few fingers I am sure...

Be nice boys and girls...

You can be sure that the naysayers are flooding various moderators with PM's, and complaints.

Prediction. This thread will be closed before 100 replies are made.

"Most people will never need a weapon for protection, those who do will need one very badly." General George Armstrong Custer

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 04:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
last time i checked i had visited over 100 countries,must have had weapons onboard in at least 70 of them
so far a free man
Until you're not.

I wonder if any of the powers that be that you think are so easily corruptible are reading?
If they are they may be thinking now that they know who you are that they can have a welcoming party waiting for you when you make the next declaration that you have no guns and then go shooting up the anchorage at sunset.
You might need to start carrying more money.
Old 26-11-2013, 05:23   #68
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well this thread (as usual) has strayed far from the OP's question so I don't feel too bad in continuing the thread drift

Tipping is just another form of corruption but one apparently not only tolerated in the USA but actually encouraged yet a dim view is taken on other forms of corruption.

OK now back to whether anyone has actually used firearms on board to defend their property or person.

This is a bit raw and a bit of old school sailor language so you've been warned. But a great clip on tipping. OK it's really raw.

Tellie is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 05:32   #69

Quote:
Until you're not.

I wonder if any of the powers that be that you think are so easily corruptible are reading?
If they are they may be thinking now that they know who you are that they can have a welcoming party waiting for you when you make the next declaration that you have no guns and then go shooting up the anchorage at sunset.
You might need to start carrying more money.
If I have counted correctly you have made twelve replies to this thread,
and not a one has even close to attempting to address the OP's question.

I have seen a lot of thread drift, and hi-jacking, but this is bordering on abuse.

Have you considered starting a " Why Guns Are a Bad Idea On Board" thread ?
I feel sure there are plenty of like minded folks that would reply.

Or is it as I suspect your determined to have the thread closed because of your gun-a-phobia beliefs ...

Although being nice is supposedly the leading standard of conduct for CF you have managed to be anything but. IMHO...

~Spike Milligan.
Old 26-11-2013, 05:36   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post

I have seen a lot of thread drift, and hi-jacking, but this is bordering on abuse.
Abuse?
Get a grip sunshine
Quote:
Or is it as I suspect your determined to have the thread closed because of your gun-a-phobia beliefs ...
I certainly havent made any complaints if that's what you are implying.
And I am not gun phobic at all, but I do have an issue with people who support corruption and think they are above the law.

Quote:
Although being nice is supposedly the leading standard of conduct for CF you have managed to be anything but. IMHO...
You seem to be the one getting all narky here sport.
Old 26-11-2013, 05:44   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

[QUOTE=Joe from ny;1399556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post

I believe many serious gun owners who are armed 24x7 365 are of the mindset that you dont shoot someone over a simple robbery. The cost of losing whatever they take is infinitely smaller than the cost of the lawyer fees and disruption to your life that shooting someone entails (especially in a foreign country). Rather, many see the gun as something that only comes out a moment before someone in your party is in imminent danger of serious physical injury, or death at the hands of another. With a nicely concealed pocket pistol, you can remain armed throughout the incident, ready to use if the situation escalates. It will even buy you time to get into the cabin and grab the long gun. If their clear intention was serious injury, rape, etc..., you would be glad you brought along whatever you carried.

Now, on the other hand, this sad story would kind of suggest that at least they would have had more of a chance if somebody had something on board to defend themselves with. In this very different scenario, an RPG stashed onboard would be great in places like this.

Another sad story "I was raped by Somali pirates" about why you want to stay away from some areas.
Sadly you're wrong about this, there have been several "self defense" killings recently in the US where the gun owner was under no real threat. As long as they say they were and the other person is dead, who's to say they didn't feel threatened.

Check out the 19 y/o woman shot thru a screen door Detroit in Dearborn Mi this summer.

Were sadly on the Wrong side of slippery slope on this self defense thing and it really sickens me when cruisers want to export the US gun culture when they travel.
Old 26-11-2013, 06:06   #72

How about shooting skeet/trap off the stern of a boat?
It's good practice for shooting sporting clays in windy conditions.
redcobra is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 06:11   #73

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

Sadly you're wrong about this, there have been several "self defense" killings recently in the US where the gun owner was under no real threat. As long as they say they were and the other person is dead, who's to say they didn't feel threatened.

Check out the 19 y/o woman shot thru a screen door Detroit in Dearborn Mi this summer.

Were sadly on the Wrong side of slippery slope on this self defense thing and it really sickens me when cruisers want to export the US gun culture when they travel.
The 19 y/o on his front porch pounding on the door at 3:00 AM was 3X the legal alcohol limit drunk. That said the shooter is being charged with 2nd degree murder. Also, see the last paragraph below!

Back on topic of actually using a gun to prevent horror: from Gun Owners of America https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]

* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.[3]

* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.[4]

* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.[5]

* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).[6] And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."[7]
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 06:12   #74

Got cha...
Quote:
Abuse?
Get a grip sunshine Sorry, but it's raining where I am.
I am way to old for masturbation, don't need a 'grip'...
I certainly havent made any complaints if that's what you are implying.
Not counting the ones you have made in this thread ?
Actually I was referring to, not "implying" about other gun-a-phobes.

And I am not gun phobic at all, but I do have an issue with people who support corruption and think they are above the law. Really !
Then demand that charges be brought against almost every politician,
everywhere.What you consider 'corruption' is just expected business
strategy in most, if not all third world countries. Becoming all to true inside
the beltway too, but we will resist saving the world for now.

You seem to be the one getting all narky here sport.
No, just a little tired of reading your personal attacks, and
whining.
I find realville a better place to live.
Utopia was way to boring.
If one, now two replies makes me 'snarky', what does thirteen off topic replies make you. Saintly ?
Your thin skin is showing sweetness...

Carry on cloudy.. Yours for playing 'sport' only in the 'sunshine'.

~Spike Milligan.
Old 26-11-2013, 06:15   #75

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The incidence of violent crime in Europe is twice that of the United States. I don't think we are exporting anything anywhere.

Why would any person be against self defense? Are we supposed to be sheep?
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply
Closed Thread