Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 05:38   #136

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
Whites only would be Tea Party.
Yup, you just believe what they tell you, their the government or their leftist mouthpieces they know better. For some reason people who believe in personal responsibility and liberty and liberty are some how racist bigots.

Sorry for the thread drift but it makes my blood boil.
Old 19-11-2013, 06:08   #137
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Gun Question

could I get an answer to my questions

would you use a DA or SA handgun on a boat

and what about a ruger 10/22 with short barrel and hollow point ammo. much stopping power ?, would my silencer have any measurable effect here

Dave
Old 19-11-2013, 06:24   #138

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvmbandit View Post
Brass case, open carry. It pays to function check on a regular basis or before your shift.
Hollow point. You have to be serious about stopping power, and what's behind your target. FMJ's will go right through if you don't hit bone.
Old 19-11-2013, 06:36   #139

Boat: Skookum 53'

Wow, DOJ must be happy, both well liked and not well liked on the same thread. This is one for the bucket.
Old 19-11-2013, 06:51   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

and what about a ruger 10/22 with short barrel and hollow point ammo. much stopping power ?, would my silencer have any measurable effect here

Dave
Certainly much better that not having a weapon. However, as I understand stopping power, an attacker when shot even multiple times with a .22 can and will keep coming at you after receiving a mortal wound. You could be dead before the attacker. On the other hand, nothing else gets attention at the range like a .357 mag or the firing of a 12ga shotgun firing 00 buck. Geez, the flames come out of the guns 2 feet! Deer go down quickly and don't get up when hit with 00 buck, I have to think you'd have the same result during an attack on your life.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:09   #141

Boat: Skookum 53'

That is why the .45 is good for close range work, you have good stopping power.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:12   #142

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:

Dave
I think that for serious purposes, you are better served with DAO. Many/most LEO are now in this camp, as well as most serious training authorities. Fine motor skills go away with adrenalin, so a light trigger is not only of little use, it can work against you. DA or DAO is less likely to result in an AD. With proper and sufficient training, either (SA or DA) can serve well. Training is crucial!
Old 19-11-2013, 07:20   #143

Quote:

Dave
To answer your questions here, & touch on a few details from your previous post:

Handgun laws in the US vary from state to state. Florida is pretty handgun friendly. NY is not. Few states in the US take notice of the caliber of a handgun. I understand that some European countries prohibit civilians from owning handguns in "military" calibers like 9x19mm, but that is not the case in the US. The only handgun caliber restrictions that I am aware of in the US are in New Mexico & New York. In NM, your license to carry is only good for the caliber that you took your test with, or a smaller caliber. NYC had some restrictions about a license only being good for a particular gun & ammo in that particular caliber. I don't remember all the details. In most states, a handgun is a handgun & that's the end of it.

DA vs. SA, depends on the training of the user. A DA revolver is probably the easiest handgun to use. Some DAO autos come in a close second in that respect. An SA auto has some performance advantages. An SA revolver is probably not the best choice for defense, but still far better than none & can be quite effective in the right hands.

The 10/22 is quite common in the US. If the barrel length is below 16" or if it has a silencer, then it would be subject to strict rules & high taxes associated with class III weapons under the NFA laws. Transporting it interstate & possessing it in some states, would be problematic in that case.

It has been my experience from years of hunting that the presence of a hollow point in .22LR caliber ammo makes little difference in it's terminal performance on game. More powerful calibers are a different story. It is my opinion based on that same hunting experience that if you want to use a .22 like that for defense against an animal that weighs over 100 pounds, you had better either score a head shot, or plan on pulling the trigger quite a few times. I've seen a raccoon get back up with 5 of those little HP slugs in him.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:25   #144
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
To answer your question, & touch on a few details from your previous post:

Handgun laws in the US vary from state to state. Florida is pretty handgun friendly. NY is not. Few states in the US take notice of the caliber of a handgun. I understand that some European countries prohibit civilians from owning handguns in "military" calibers like 9x19mm, but that is not the case in the US. The only handgun caliber restrictions that I am aware of in the US are in New Mexico & New York. In NM, your license to carry is only good for the caliber that you took your test wtih or a smaller caliber. NYC had some restrictions about a license only being good for a particular gun & ammo in that particular caliber. I don't remember all the details. IN most states, a handgun is a handgun & that's the end of it.

The 10/22 is quite common in the US. If the barrel length is below 16" or if it has a silencer, then it would be subject to strict rules & high taxes associated with class III weapons under the NFA laws. Transporting it interstate would be problematic in that case.

It has been my experience from years of hunting that the presence of a hollow point in .22LR caliber ammo makes little difference in it's terminal performance on game. It is my opinion based on that same experience that if you want to use a .22 like that for defense against an animal that weighs over 100 pounds, you had better either score a head shot, or plan on pulling the trigger quite a few times.

I know a fella who was shot 18 times with .22 LR from close up. He lived.

.22 WMR is a different story though...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 19-11-2013, 08:02   #145
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I know a fella who was shot 18 times with .22 LR from close up. He lived.

.22 WMR is a different story though...
That is why I started this thread. I am mostly familiar with 22 magnums and todays bad guys are growing larger and more muscular and I'm not sure I could drop one with a not so well placed shot with a 22 magnum.

I remember seeing a cop on TV one time being interviewed. They were talking about exercise equipment and supplements in prison. The cop said "last year I was chasing a 160 lb wannabe. Now he comes out of prison at 230 lbs and very muscular." looking at some of the news footage in the evening, some of these thugs are in excess of 300 lbs.

BTW, what is WMR?
Old 19-11-2013, 08:13   #146

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

BTW, what is WMR?

Winchester Magnum Rimfire.

-Chris
Old 19-11-2013, 09:50   #147

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:

I do have a nice minimum barrel silenced ruger 10/22 rifle. Small compact , cheap ammo, light , rapid fire , using low velocity hollow points , I wonder if it has much stopping power. !

Dave
My wife's Ruger 22 pistol will occasionally jam when using low velocity (subsonic) Remington cartridges.
When it's gone, we're sticking to known good stuff.

Ayn Rand
Old 19-11-2013, 10:19   #148

Boat: 37' Rafiki Cutter

I have a question about weapons some of you may/may not be able to answer. I am Canadian citizen, will be living in Hawaii soon. I'm ex-army with one afghanistan tour. I don't like the idea of being in the middle of the ocean with nothing, as I know first hand how cheap life is in some parts of the world.

I have a Mossberg 500 pump in a 'Just in Case' kit and a Canadian Fire Arms License. Will I be able to take to Hawaii with me? If not, will I be able to get an american license and purchase a weapon?

Long term, I intend to sail far and wide. If I stow a weapon, and sail into a port with a weapon what are the circumstances in general? (I know each country is different) But will I be turned away at some ports? Or will they allow me to enter so long as weapons are left on boat?

....To be honest, I would love an M72 anti-tank missile to sink any ships that might try to board me. I love shooting those things.
Old 19-11-2013, 10:26   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseSpace View Post
I have a question about weapons some of you may/may not be able to answer. I am Canadian citizen, will be living in Hawaii soon. I'm ex-army with one afghanistan tour. I don't like the idea of being in the middle of the ocean with nothing, as I know first hand how cheap life is in some parts of the world. I have a Mossberg 500 pump in a 'Just in Case' kit and a Canadian Fire Arms License. Will I be able to take to Hawaii with me? If not, will I be able to get an american license and purchase a weapon? Long term, I intend to sail far and wide. If I stow a weapon, and sail into a port with a weapon what are the circumstances in general? (I know each country is different) But will I be turned away at some ports? Or will they allow me to enter so long as weapons are left on boat? ....To be honest, I would love an M72 anti-tank missile to sink any ships that might try to board me. I love shooting those things.
I found Hawaii to be very restrictive of all types of guns. Ironic to me as 60% of Oahu is owned by the US Military.

Some helpful links:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Hawaii

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/hawaii.aspx

http://hawaiiccw.com/hawaii-gun-firearm-laws/

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/hawaii.pdf

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sect...st-nation.html

Hope the links can help
Old 19-11-2013, 10:45   #150

Boat: Catalina 30
We have a Walther P22. Love that gun, when at the range we burn through large amounts of ammunition with about .5% fail to fire. My thought is it is a primer issue with the bulk ammo we use. 22lr is better than a knife and you can always make up for stopping power with volume. 10 rounds of accurate .22 down range is probably about as good as one or two rounds of .45.
Closed Thread