Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 06:01   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Each platform has advantages... and also disadvantages. It's reasonably easy (albeit more expensive) to carry a suite of handgun(s), short shotgun, short rifle... and then select for employment as appropriate to the circumstance.
-Chris
Under what circumstance do you expect a rifle to be appropriate?

Old 18-11-2013, 06:07   #62

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

One of the problems with hollow point ammunition is it is illegal to have in in a state such as NJ. Correction, one can have it in their home,"at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land ." There is also a federsal law regarding same.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:08   #63
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Some of these John Wayne wannabes should try a little experiment. Go put a target on a floating boat. Then go stand some distance away on another floating boat with your ideal rifle. Put a foot of chop into it Then try to hit said target with a rifle.

Keep trying.

It takes a huge boat, a Navy SEAL team, and lots of expensive equipment to do this with any kind of accuracy.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:12   #64

Boat: islandpacket
If they enter the inside the boat and your asleep its too late already. How do you get an early warning?
Old 18-11-2013, 06:16   #65

I have not looked through all of the responses, but surely someone mentioned the Taurus Judge.!! Made for close quarters. It is a revolver, so it is simple to use for women, etc. It shoots 2 different cartridges- 45 Long Colt, and .410 shotgun shell. So, not much aiming needed. Also would not have the range of most guns so it won't hurt someone 75 yards away...probably do less damage to your boat assuming you had to use it from inside. The gun was originally conceived for use from a judge's desk in a courtroom in case of some radical action in the courtroom. Thus the name. You can get it with different barrel lengths up to about 7-1/2 inches I think..so, it is better than a pump 12 gauge for maneuvering.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:19   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
How do you get an early warning?

also keeps others from anchoring near you
Old 18-11-2013, 06:20   #67

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Some of these John Wayne wannabes should try a little experiment. Go put a target on a floating boat. Then go stand some distance away on another floating boat with your ideal rifle. Put a foot of chop into it Then try to hit said target with a rifle.

Keep trying.

It takes a huge boat, a Navy SEAL team, and lots of expensive equipment to do this with any kind of accuracy.
They should try another experiment. Come back from a yacht club bar after a few pina coladas too many, step on board the wrong boat in the dark and pray the owner isn't someone who values his privacy more than their life.

Let's hope all these pumped up Rambos stay cruising in the USA and leave the rest of the world to civilised cruisers.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:28   #68

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
Cannot resist, it is a big ask to ask the world to ignore this sort of post
I vote, keep all posts about guns away from a decent site
and thats pretty much all I have to say bout that
Probably the most absurd, arbitrary post i have ever seen on this site.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:31   #69

I love how anti-gun non-American citizens think they have the duty to comment on a thread that doesn't pertain to them at all just to put people down in an attempt to make themselves feel better.

Seems to be childish, immature and counter productive to me.

Then again, I value rational thought.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:35   #70

This is like someone posting a thread about looking for info from Bene owners sailing in the Caribbean and all the typical armchair crews jump in about how only a 27' steel cutter could take on the swells in South Africa an how that makes them a better sailor.

You people make me chuckle.

If you don't like guns...don't open a thread that says "GUN QUESTION"

And someone from Australia certainly shouldn't need to inject their political beliefs and comment after reading "EASTERN UNITED STATES ONLY"

But hey, people have to feel special about themselves on the Internet don't they?
Old 18-11-2013, 06:35   #71

Boat: Beneteau 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
I love how anti-gun non-American citizens think they have the duty to comment on a thread that doesn't pertain to them at all just to put people down in an attempt to make themselves feel better. Seems to be childish, immature and counter productive to me. Then again, I value rational thought.
I personally like the way they revert to name calling. It's actually kind of funny.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
Old 18-11-2013, 06:39   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am astonished that folk feel the need to carry a gun with the intention of killing someone who steps on board their yacht late at night. The OP was talking about cruising the Eastern US, presumably the ICW. Sure some punk might be there to relieve you of some valuables hoping you are not on board. However, if it turns into a confrontation are you really going to shoot them? particularly with some of the weapons that are being suggested.

In the UK that would be murder and this is exactly what happened to Tony Martin a farmer who shot 2 burglars one night. It cost him 5 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

I just wonder how many boats that are occupied are actually targeted each year in the US which is after all a first world country? is this a real problem or just some unfound fear?

Pete
Pete, you don't have to kill anyone, it's not an all or nothing, First as many have said, merely "racking" a pump shotgun or actioning the slide on an auto followed by the announcement of go away, I'm armed is almost always enough, if for some really crazy reason they persist, blowout a porthole or hatch to show you really do have a gun, you shoot to kill only as an absolute last resort. It's not something you want to live with, you have to be able to look into the mirror and be convinced you had no choice
Twice in my non-military life I have held a gun on someone, once was my house being robbed, I didn't even know they were in the house until the wife saw one hiding in the shower, we came home and surprised them. There may or may not have been a fight, but he saw me holding a gun and didn't resist.
There are non-lethal alternatives that might want to be considered, especially if someone is not real comfortable with a gun.
Finally the dog may have been posted as a joke, but in reality a dog is probably one of the best things you can have to keep from being surprised in the middle of the night.
I think there are two kinds of criminals, the first is a thief that wants your possessions to convert them into money for whatever reason, those I don't think you have to fear, they aren't after a fight, they just want your stuff, as soon as they figure out you are there, they will leave if allowed to do so.
It's the second type that scares me, and they do exist, they are after the excitement, the adrenalin rush, the sense of power, and they will hurt you or your wife for the rush it brings. Thank God, they are few and far between.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:45   #73

a taser gun onboard would be handy too
Old 18-11-2013, 06:45   #74

It occurs to me that the use of shotgun ammo (whether from a Taurus Judge or a shotgun) inside the boat may not be the best option depending one the ammo. A light load, such as bird shot, would be prone to ricochet in such an enclosed environment. I understand the desire for a less damaging round in order to protect damage to the vessel but I think I'd rather have a round that over penetrates than risks tons of pellets bouncing around the cabin.

Given that I think I'd lean toward a slower velocity round with mushrooming bullets that would slow significantly upon impact. Keneitc energy is mass x the square of velocity. This likely means that smaller faster rounds will give more penetration than larger slower rounds. 45ACP is a subsonic round. But 45 is hard for women to handle. Perhaps a .38 or 9mm with a reduced load to reduce the penetration capability. Are there any production light loads for 9 or 38 that one can buy off the shelf and not require some custom reloads?
Old 18-11-2013, 07:00   #75

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
... you won't remember to rack the gun before or after the first shot in a panic situation.... They'll either forget to take it off safety, fail to rack the shotgun, fail to rack it completely or miss the trigger...

That is why you should never keep a gun ready for use without one in the chamber, and make sure the safety is OFF. Most police sidearms dont have safety's, you might have it on when you need to shoot and get yourself killed.
Closed Thread