Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 11:07   #16

Re: Green Turtle Cay shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
... Not excusing his actions, but it seems pretty $hitty of them to charge duty on goods brought in for hurricane relief...

The exact wording of the news report:
“sailed into the cay from South Florida on what is understood to be their third or fourth trip bringing rebuilding materials to help with recovery operations from Hurricane Dorian. When the vessel - the Beast of Burden - sailed into the Cay on Thursday evening it was met by two Customs officers and a Customs broker who it is understood had alleged he was owed money by the ship’s captain.”
That may be open to some interpretation but it DID NOT SAY the debt he apparently owed the customs broker was for “hurricane relief” supplies. It did not specify what the debt was for.
Nor did the article say the trip was bringing “hurricane relief”. It may be a nuance but to me hurricane relief implies – donations. The article referred to “rebuilding materials...for recovery operations” Maybe they were being donated. Maybe they were for broad community use. Maybe this was a good Samaritan helping out less fortunate.

Or maybe this was some rich American cleaning up his vacation place or even adding an addition...or someone acting on such a persons behalf. We don’t know from the article.

Tell me do your local retailers waive their sales tax when selling construction goods after a storm? Don’t think so. If Florida doesn’t waive sales tax on plywood and generators during hurricane season why should the Bahamas...

The Bahamas don’t tax income so government revenues depend more on customs duties. This is certainly a time when the Bahamas needs all the tax revenue it can generate.

Let’s not read into the story more than is there.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 11:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post

Story is easier to find with this link
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 11:12   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post

Let’s not read into the story more than is there.
I read the entire thing. What isn't clear is - Was he donating these supplies? Or was he selling them? Charitable donations shouldn't be subject to duty imo.
If someone was just "covering his costs", that should still count as charity. It is in most countries for tax purposes
The people of Bahamas also need the supplies, and the government shouldn't be lining their pockets at their expense.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:25   #19

All that said, I lived in Bahamas for awhile, and they are pretty chilled. I am willing to make a guess that he was selling the supplies for profit, or they would not have bothered him.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:33   #20

Boat: Southerly 57

Reading the comments gives at least one view of how Americans are perceived.

Edited to add: comments under the story from Bahamians
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 11:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belezar View Post
Reading the comments gives at least one view of how Americans are perceived.
Umm... Well I wasn't generalising, but if I was, then this incident isn't making a positive case in their favour.
Old 25-05-2020, 11:37   #22

Hey I'm a Bahamian I was in abaco for the storm and I can tell you donating or not they are making them pay the import duties, only Bahamian citizens or residents can apply for a nema form to bring in stuff duty free .This government is just so greedy they want something from everything coming in and they don't do nothing for the people.
Bahama ras is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-05-2020, 11:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahama ras View Post
Hey I'm a Bahamian I was in abaco for the storm and I can tell you donating or not they are making them pay the import duties, only Bahamian citizens or residents can apply for a nema form to bring in stuff duty free .This government is just so greedy they want something from everything coming in and they don't do nothing for the people.
Fair enough. My personal experience isn't hard evidence. It's good to hear local opinion. Thanks.
Old 26-05-2020, 18:33   #24

https://www.facebook.com/244067628965467/posts/3113424945363040/
Bahama ras is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-05-2020, 13:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahama ras View Post
https://www.facebook.com/244067628965467/posts/3113424945363040/
Well, they got their $10k (seems cheap, for the crime) and I doubt they'll be seeing him again - the US is not known for allowing extradition of their citizens, despite requiring it from others.
Thanks for the update.
Old 24-06-2020, 20:56   #26

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I am guessing that he never declared his firearm when he arrived either. If you bother to read the article is seems that a custom broker went onboard to collect a bad debit. That’s what set him off, not charging duty on hurricane relief goods. It also involved a nighttime jail break!

When we entered at Cat Cay this winter I declared my Glocks and ammo telling the Customs officer that I need them for protection from all the heavily armed Americans there!

I thought that the Bahamas were closed to traffic entering from the US? Why was this and the other two boats that arrived from Key West allowed to enter Bahamian waters? Have the rules changed? I thought it was exit only......

HEAVILY Armed Americans you say?

When I cleared in with Customs in Bermuda--on my Canadian flagged sailboat--they made me leave my flare gun until I left. Was able to walk in, retrieve flare gun, and row out to my boat for departure.

Two years later I arrived as crew on an American flagged sailboat. The owner said yes he had guns onboard: 2 pistols in owner's cabin, a 22 rifle in main cabin, and an AK-47 in the forward cabin. I watched the Customs Officer and he didn't bat an eye. When told he would have to leave them and all ammunition, the other crew member helpfully said: a box of bullets for each pistol, a box of shells for the 22, and 5,000 rounds for the AK-47. The Officer flinched! Then calmly explained that when we were tied to their wharf--with engine running--they would return everything.

Protection: Hell, we had enough fire power to take over Georgetown.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2020, 01:38   #27

Boat: Boatless but working on it

He was lucky to be allowed to leave the Bahamas. If a Bahamian shot at law enforcement officials in the USA he would most likely be dead shortly thereafter, and if not he would face a lengthy jail sentence.
All relief supplies in areas affected by hurricane Dorian are customs duty and VAT free but they must still be cleared by customs officials or licensed customs brokers. You cannot just bring items in and distribute them.
I’m sure there is much more to this story than is apparent but there is no excuse for shooting at government officials.
He is extremely fortunate!
Alistair242 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2020, 06:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
the US is not known for allowing extradition of their citizens, despite requiring it from others.
The U.S. does not "require" extradition from anyone. We have freely-negotiated extradition treaties with many countries. We honor those treaties, and expect others to do the same.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-06-2020, 06:33   #29

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The U.S. does not "require" extradition from anyone. We have freely-negotiated extradition treaties with many countries. We honor those treaties, and expect others to do the same.

Mmm kind of. Like the diplomats wife who ran over a bicyclist recently
Old 25-06-2020, 06:37   #30

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Anyone know the dude? American boat captain denies shooting charges | The Tribune
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply