Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 00:26   #1

Greece free

When you see how manu islands and boats sailing around Greece you undertand why is everything so easy here. In almost every bays you can find docks with electricity and water free. A lot of sailors from everywhere have its berths here. Sailing around Greek is so easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-05-2015, 01:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Greece free

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcina79 View Post
When you see how manu islands and boats sailing around Greece you undertand why is everything so easy here. In almost every bays you can find docks with electricity and water free. A lot of sailors from everywhere have its berths here. Sailing around Greek is so easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
that's where all the billions in EU loans went,that the greeks thought they would never have to pay back................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that's where all the billions in EU loans went,that the greeks thought they would never have to pay back................
..and they were probably at least half right.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:03   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
In almost every bays you can find docks with electricity and water free.
Really??
I was under the impression a lot of cruisers whom used to like to stay there had to go elsewhere or sell their boats because everything was so damn expensive for cruisers in Greece?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Really??
I was under the impression a lot of cruisers whom used to like to stay there had to go elsewhere or sell their boats because everything was so damn expensive for cruisers in Greece?
no he is quite correct there are hundreds of these docks and partially completed marinas all over Greece built with EU assistance thay were never fully completed that you can use free of charge ....some even have water and power
Old 09-05-2015, 03:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greece free

Only payment I have made has been when going through the Corinth.. docking however has never been charged for.. or water..
It is however limited so if the fishing boats are in your on the hook

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Pretty sure that this will change for visiting boats as their cash crunch is desperate.
EU hasnt really been that good for any country except Germany.

Life eh?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:48   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
no he is quite correct there are hundreds of these docks and partially completed marinas all over Greece built with EU assistance thay were never fully completed that you can use free of charge ....some even have water and power
OMG I'm on the wrong side of the planet...
Well I suppose that's why EU is just about bankrupt now.. I missed the party..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:11   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Electricity free? I have been sailing there and even if the city docks are not expensive they are not normally free...and electricity and water are charged separately many times to a particular that has a concession. Are you sure you are paying your bills?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 14:51   #10

Boat: islandpacket

He's just using someone's slip while the real slip holder is away and thinks its free.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-05-2015, 16:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Electricity free? I have been sailing there and even if the city docks are not expensive they are not normally free...and electricity and water are charged separately many times to a particular that has a concession. Are you sure you are paying your bills?
quite a few times we found the covers had been removed on municipal lamp posts offering free electricity
Old 10-05-2015, 01:39   #12

Quote:
quite a few times we found the covers had been removed on municipal lamp posts offering free electricity
Well, that's Greece where everybody, starting with the locals, try to get away without paying nothing.

If you stay on the city dock for a night and don't go to the office to pay and leave next morning probably they will not even notice, If you connect the electricity to a connection and stay for the night and if it works, probably you will get away with it but you can be sure someone is paying and on the case of stealing from municipal lamps it's the state...and I have heard that they don't even have money to pay next month salaries.

I prefer to pay hoping that the situation can be maintained as it is even if I stay almost always at anchor. Prices are low and a village dock costs about 15 euros (41ft) the electricity and water an extra 5 euros a day but you only have to pay if you use it.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:21   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Well, that's Greece where everybody, starting with the locals, try to get away without paying nothing.

If you stay on the city dock for a night and don't go to the office to pay and leave next morning probably they will not even notice, If you connect the electricity to a connection and stay for the night and if it works, probably you will get away with it but you can be sure someone is paying and on the case of stealing from municipal lamps it's the state...and I have heard that they don't even have money to pay next month salaries.

I prefer to pay hoping that the situation can be maintained as it is even if I stay almost always at anchor. Prices are low and a village dock costs about 15 euros (41ft) the electricity and water an extra 5 euros a day but you only have to pay if you use it.
Exactly!!
And from what i have heard they are now finally starting to collect the harbour fees.

Also unfinished marinas are now charging. Preveza asked for 13 euro per night for a 11m cat, incl water and electricity (if you can find an outlet that works)
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:02   #14

I can't say I've found "free" electricity but generally I haven't looked to hard. Free water yes.

I've probably only paid at half the town docks I've stayed on. In Samos I went to the port police who said I had to pay something like 70. I was shocked when I thought he meant €70 but then I found out it was €0.70 which was a problem to pay as I only had larger notes and they had no change, so I had to go back to the boat to get coins

I wish the Greeks would charge for all boats on town keys. On the free town keys some people "dump" their boats there for long periods whilst they are away, so cruisers who will be on board going to restaurants and bars spending money in the local economy can't get a spot and move on.

Even if the Greeks get their act together and actually introduce that tax, it would be still a cheap place to cruise
Old 10-05-2015, 04:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I wish the Greeks would charge for all boats on town keys. On the free town keys some people "dump" their boats there for long periods whilst they are away, so cruisers who will be on board going to restaurants and bars spending money in the local economy can't get a spot and move on.

Even if the Greeks get their act together and actually introduce that tax, it would be still a cheap place to cruise
Yes, I could not agree more. It would be good for all. The number of apparently abandoned boats in poor condition is really impressive does nothing for their economy, does not allow other boat to use the place and they spoil the scenery.

Tags
Greece