Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 09:59   #16

Boat: none
Re: Graduating Shortly - Lurked and Read Everything Here First

Saint Pete has great bicycle infrastructure, you can find and visit almost anything this way if it is outside walking distance. I might be biased in this regard because I love bicycling, I find that that it is much easier to engage with local venues with this method of transportation. I would invest in a quality helmet and running lights, you cannot trust drivers to keep an eye out for you when you do use roadways.

I am not completely clear on the requirements for residency, I do know that they determine residency by the time period lived within St. Pete, and not Florida as a state.

There are likely to be many things you would wish to upgrade or install once you acquire your boat, and the money saved by choosing the 27 instead of the 30 might allow you to obtain these things more immediately. I have never witnessed any discrimination in attitudes when it comes to a big boat vs small boat, however everyone has their own personal comfort level. Often times when people judge whether a boat is "nice" or not, they look at the exterior bright-work (paint) first, interior bright-work second, and then what organizational system the owner maintains (not storing items haphazardly on deck or below).
Suniday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 10:18   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine89 View Post

Thank you very much. I like the idea of having something more bluewater friendly but at this point I'm leaning towards a cheaper coastal cruiser. The only reason (and I'm still trying to talk myself out of it) I'm most interested in the C30 over the C27 is the "home" feel of it. In a C30 I feel like there is a lot of space and basically like an apartment - but also a boat. The C27 is really not an apartment - but it is certainly a boat, and a much cheaper one at that.
They are in the same price range as the C30 above and below $20k. If you find one it is worth taking a look but good luck with whatever you decide on it is a great idea.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 11:40   #18

Boat: 1975 ODay 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suniday View Post
Saint Pete has great bicycle infrastructure, you can find and visit almost anything this way if it is outside walking distance. I might be biased in this regard because I love bicycling, I find that that it is much easier to engage with local venues with this method of transportation. I would invest in a quality helmet and running lights, you cannot trust drivers to keep an eye out for you when you do use roadways.

I am not completely clear on the requirements for residency, I do know that they determine residency by the time period lived within St. Pete, and not Florida as a state.

There are likely to be many things you would wish to upgrade or install once you acquire your boat, and the money saved by choosing the 27 instead of the 30 might allow you to obtain these things more immediately. I have never witnessed any discrimination in attitudes when it comes to a big boat vs small boat, however everyone has their own personal comfort level. Often times when people judge whether a boat is "nice" or not, they look at the exterior bright-work (paint) first, interior bright-work second, and then what organizational system the owner maintains (not storing items haphazardly on deck or below).
I certainly like to bike as well. I have a light road bike but it would not fit well even in the C30. I've read about some folding bikes but they are pricey. A bike would be a great option if I planned to stay in one area for a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
They are in the same price range as the C30 above and below $20k. If you find one it is worth taking a look but good luck with whatever you decide on it is a great idea.
Thanks I will keep an eye out!
maine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:37   #19

Boat: looking

It seems to me that you've really given this plan much thought. As for 27 or 30 footers, you will never regret getting the larger boat, especially if you plan on having any interior projects on-going. I'd suggest a Cal, Tartan, Pearson, Columbia, etc., over the Catalina, for similar volume but better construction. Of #1 importance will be the condition of the hull & s&r rig, as you don't want to have to lay-out a lot more money as soon as you've bought the boat.

If in warmer areas, a 5 gallon solar shower in the cockpit will do the job, you just strap it to your boom or backstay. I don't know how long you're in Wuhan, but I gradually became acclimatized in, HK, Taiwan & The Philippines. I never had more than a fan, except when teaching.

Propane isn't overly dangerous as long as you have your tanks isolated, have a properly installed & maintained system & an alarm. I have alcohol on the boat I just bought & will keep it until I get to Asia - not enough time to add it to my "must do" list - but then it's gone. Alcohol just isn't hot enough. If you're staying local, maybe CNG is an option?

Hire a proper surveyor & a rigger to assess the boat. It's a small investment that will give you a much better idea of all/most negative issues.

Best of luck on your search & purchase!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 15:39   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Maine89, I also moved aboard shortly after completing college, but I found that, if I was not cruising, a slip in a home marina had many merits,- shower, water, shopping access, not filing a holding tank, social interaction, transportation.....
Old 13-05-2011, 19:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Maine89, I also moved aboard shortly after completing college, but I found that, if I was not cruising, a slip in a home marina had many merits,- shower, water, shopping access, not filing a holding tank, social interaction, transportation.....
Yes I think starting on a slip is certainly a good move. I can see how I like anchorages after I travel around a bit. Thank you!
Old 13-05-2011, 20:48   #22

Alcohol is plenty hot enough to cook with, don't let anyone tell you differently. Propane can explode - propane is heavier than air and can leak into the bilge (or other area) and collect, waiting for a spark to end your boats existence, and maybe your life as well. Non pressure alcohol will not explode under any circumstance, and any fires created by an alcohol spill (pretty unlikely, as once the can element is filled there is no way for it to spill) can be put out with water.

A composting head makes sense for many reasons - vastly less head odor (none if aerated correctly), you can eliminate head thru hulls, you can eliminate pump outs, you can eliminate possible fines when you forget to lock the Y valve, and lastly you can eliminate a complicated system in favor of a simple one.

My 2c on both issues..
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 20:55   #23

Quote:
There were holding tank considerations when you moved aboard shortly after college? I thought pumping o/b was the default before the holding tank laws were enacted...
Old 13-05-2011, 20:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnCate View Post
Alcohol is plenty hot enough to cook with, don't let anyone tell you differently. Propane can explode - propane is heavier than air and can leak into the bilge (or other area) and collect, waiting for a spark to end your boats existence, and maybe your life as well. Non pressure alcohol will not explode under any circumstance, and any fires created by an alcohol spill (pretty unlikely, as once the can element is filled there is no way for it to spill) can be put out with water.

A composting head makes sense for many reasons - vastly less head odor (none if aerated correctly), you can eliminate head thru hulls, you can eliminate pump outs, you can eliminate possible fines when you forget to lock the Y valve, and lastly you can eliminate a complicated system in favor of a simple one.

My 2c on both issues..
Thank you! The more votes I hear for these underdogs, the more confident I feel about them. I will certainly do some homework.
Old 13-05-2011, 21:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine89 View Post
Thank you! The more votes I hear for these underdogs, the more confident I feel about them. I will certainly do some homework.
Be prepared to be put thru the ringer for any and all systems and gear choices you might consider that are outside of the cruising norm, ask me how I know... god help you if you decide to mention ditching your furler (or worse yet, delve into the heresy of going engineless) ..

Regarding alcohol - the two biggest blights against it are the availability of fuel overseas, and it's longer water boil time. Here is my retort to both of these points, fwiw-

1- Fuel availability overseas, true and false. True that cans of denatured alcohol are hard to find in Svalbard, false that you cannot simply use regular old drinkable grain alcohol (or even high proof rum in a pinch) available in most ports a cruiser might visit. Dedicated stove alcohol might be hard to find, but booze rarely is. We burn drinkable grain alcohol in ours even though denatured is freely available. Drinkable grain alcohol is not a toxic, poisonous substance. All other stove fuels are.

2- Longer boil time. True, it takes 3 more minutes to boil a quart of H20 than it does with propane. If you are in a major hurry to gnosh, then yes, this might be an issue. Otherwise, is it really so terrible to wait an extra couple of minutes for eats, especially when considering the vastly less complicated system that a non pressure alcohol stove is?

Again, my 2c and best of luck with however you decide to go..
Old 13-05-2011, 23:49   #26

Thanks ChrisnCate,

Sounds like at least with alcohol that I could store it aboard in larger quantities. Burning through grain alcohol sounds expensive, though I haven't experienced the prices/burn times like you.

The longer burn time is not an issue for me if it is 3 minutes. Being less rushed is a goal in this adventure
Old 14-05-2011, 12:54   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
There were holding tank considerations when you moved aboard shortly after college? I thought pumping o/b was the default before the holding tank laws were enacted...
Sure, I did not include within my advice that my "move aboard shortly after college" was in 1972, but ironically it was the Clean Water Act of 1972 that initiated the holding tank requirements. It's true that the law was not accompanied with a means for implementation. I even recall pump out stations that had thier contents collected periodically by tank trucks that would transport the sewage to a location to be dumped directly into the coastal water. Anyway, I did consider it an updated inclusion as an advantage for a slip for current advice.
Old 14-05-2011, 18:42   #28

Quote:
Sure, I did not include within my advice that my "move aboard shortly after college" was in 1972, but ironically it was the Clean Water Act of 1972 that initiated the holding tank requirements. It's true that the law was not accompanied with a means for implementation. I even recall pump out stations that had thier contents collected periodically by tank trucks that would transport the sewage to a location to be dumped directly into the coastal water. Anyway, I did consider it an updated inclusion as an advantage for a slip for current advice.
Good advice for sure CF, I was just wondering whether or not people even considered the notion of the holding tank/pump out back then (yikes on the coastal sewage dump btw, yuk).
Old 14-05-2011, 19:33   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good advice for sure CF, I was just wondering whether or not people even considered the notion of the holding tank/pump out back then (yikes on the coastal sewage dump btw, yuk).
Yes, Unfortunately, to date, the greatest effect of the clean water act has been to collect the volume of sewage concentration to less frequent yet greater volumes by incident. No mistake, I'm with the plan, but I still see it evolving.