Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 15:02   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Global catastrophe / SHTF "survivable locations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Lots of weapons and ammo, 55 gallon drums of salt and pepper. I hear humans taste like chicken. There will be plenty for all. Carry on.

Look up "long pig".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 16:14   #47

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I’m thinking Disney Land. After all it will always be the happiest place on earth. And there will never be a shortage of cotton candy or caramel corn. They have their own law enforcement and the officers are always polite despite the funny costumes. It is a virtual island in the LA area and I can dock my boat in one of the canal rides. I just have to avoid the flume except at slack tide. Anyone know what is the best anchor for Adventureland?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 16:39   #48

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Look up "long pig".

Really wish you hadn't told me that. I much prefer chicken. Sigh.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 16:44   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I’m thinking Disney Land. After all it will always be the happiest place on earth. And there will never be a shortage of cotton candy or caramel corn. They have their own law enforcement and the officers are always polite despite the funny costumes. It is a virtual island in the LA area and I can dock my boat in one of the canal rides. I just have to avoid the flume except at slack tide. Anyone know what is the best anchor for Adventureland?
Disneyland cotton candy???

Its all about the Twinkies
Old 24-10-2019, 16:46   #50

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
What dumb ass started this dumb thread. If the bomb ever hits, you'll be dead. Live your life!!!
Ummm... that would be me.

And FTR, I did not use the term "when the bomb hits", because sure as ****, if WWIII starts, we're all f**cked.

But there are other SHTF scenarios, especially the global financial meltdown, breakout of resistant ebola, etc etc....

So, just as a suggestion, before you go abusing someone for asking an intelligent and reasonable question, perhaps read the thread and exercise a few grey cells, beforer dropping the clutch on the 'Send' button...??

i.e. - be *nice*....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 16:57   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Break it down into basic elements. Soon enough systems on the boat will fail and will be difficult to replace. Navigation via GPS will be impossible from the outset. There is a need for a varied and reliable food source, fresh water and an amicable climate. Protection from marauders, zombies and mutated wild life in general that comes from these sort of events would also need to be considered.

With this in mind, my pick would be an isolated tropical island with fringing reefs, native fruits and vegetables aplenty and natural aquifers located in a place difficult to reach by the navigate by numbers crowds.

Not sure exactly where that is, but I won't tell you when I get there
So everyone knows zombies can't swim and a sextant, pub 229, and my old naut sci coursebook from the Academy can get me to at least within sight of where I'm aiming for
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 17:17   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
So everyone knows zombies can't swim and a sextant, pub 229, and my old naut sci coursebook from the Academy can get me to at least within sight of where I'm aiming for
zombies can swim
Proven on season 2 of fear the walking dead .
On several other shows they just walk on the seabed to the islands .
Old 24-10-2019, 17:18   #53

Cheerfull stuff eh?

So when we jump in a gas guzzling SUV, buy plastic wrapped supermarket foods, wear synthetic materials in our clothing, sail plastic boats, turn up the air con or central heating and buy food from mono-cultured land and simultaneously vote for those who support these practices we think we may deserve the right to avoid the consequences. Oh? Seriously, if I lived in a remote self sufficient society and I saw you coming, I just might not be all that welcoming.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 17:24   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Cheerfull stuff eh?

So when we jump in a gas guzzling SUV, buy plastic wrapped supermarket foods, wear synthetic materials in our clothing, sail plastic boats, turn up the air con or central heating and buy food from mono-cultured land and simultaneously vote for those who support these practices we think we may deserve the right to avoid the consequences. Oh? Seriously, if I lived in a remote self sufficient society and I saw you coming, I just might not be all that welcoming.
we are having fun here and then you dropped the political bomb ?

Btw agw is not the threat the msm wants you to believe :-)
Old 24-10-2019, 17:36   #55

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Cheerfull stuff eh?

Agreed.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 17:56   #56

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Disneyland cotton candy???

Its all about the Twinkies

Zombieland II just came out!!

Of course, there is always the twinkie truck scene in the first one.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 18:10   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Plus, you have to keep in mind, now many of these unaffected places are going to be that welcoming to strangers coming in and needing scarce resources?

This is a good point, however I suspect that one's chances of being welcomed increase greatly if one has some useful skills. In addition, the way one communicates goes a long way towards being accepted. If one is pushy, arrogant, or otherwise gruff, I suspect the strangers will be more likely to tell you to get lost or worse.
Old 24-10-2019, 18:24   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
This is a good point, however I suspect that one's chances of being welcomed increase greatly if one has some useful skills. In addition, the way one communicates goes a long way towards being accepted. If one is pushy, arrogant, or otherwise gruff, I suspect the strangers will be more likely to tell you to get lost or worse.
I think the example hpeer offered is that he has been building community for many years. He’s not a stranger. He IS part of the Newfoundland community.

If the SHTF and you just show up, the existing community will be exceedingly suspicious (although I suspect Newfoundlanders will always embrace everyone of good will). So the answer is not to just ‘show up.’ Put the effort into becoming part of the community NOW.
Old 24-10-2019, 18:26   #59

I live in NYC, and we are no more than nine meals from anarchy. We have lost power a few times, most recently when hurricane Sandy hit (not all of NYC, but many parts lost power). It was scary how many people were unprepared. I knew that it was a hurricane and thus, not really unexpected, but I was well prepared. How different would things have been had it been unexpected?

If something unexpected happened, and was more severe, and in particular longer lasting, I would definitely have to bug out. Luckily I have two boats here in the NYC area. Unfortunately, I still have to get to them as it is unlikely I will have the boat in my apartment building.

Several have pointed out that they are in areas that support individual or group survival, whereas others like me are not. This illustrates the difference between a bug out and a bug in.

Even if one bugs out, we need to be aware that our ability to move around the planet may be more limited that it first appears. Depending upon the nature of the problem, many of us may be limited by geography. In the Great Lakes for example, one will almost certainly need to use locks to get out of that region, assuming they need to leave. Likewise, one may not be able to cross Panama depending upon the problem. How many will be capable of going around South America if they needed to?
Old 24-10-2019, 18:29   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think the example hpeer offered is that he has been building community for many years. He’s not a stranger. He IS part of the Newfoundland community.

If the SHTF and you just show up, the existing community will be exceedingly suspicious (although I suspect Newfoundlanders will always embrace everyone of good will). So the answer is not to just ‘show up.’ Put the effort into becoming part of the community NOW.
I agree. My comment was more about not having a community to go to, or perhaps the community one has worked with is no longer available.

I definitely agree that having a place that knows you is a very good thing.