Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 13:10   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Global catastrophe / SHTF "survivable locations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Let's make sure none of this is taken too seriously. Otherwise political camps will quickly overwhelm any light, but interesting discussion that could happen here.

With that said, my first thought is to get as far away from large urban areas as possible. When the SHTF these will become death traps. Smaller areas off the beaten path are more likely to have the necessary self-supporting communities that will be needed. And idiots with boss complexes are more easily dealt with. The key to long-term survival will be finding a space, and a community that still has some understanding of how to live independently.

I think fleeing to my boat would be a good short to medium term choice. In the longer run having a stable community and chunk of productive land would probably be better. But I can already live independently on my sailboat for many months at a time. Food will likely be the major problem, but with a boat you can travel to places where restocking could be possible — and no, I’m not talking about finding a Walmart.
Mike,

Truth be told some tiny bit of our survival strategy included reinforcing relations with kin n Newfoundland. It’s good to have a place to go where you know you will be welcome. Even if it’s effing cold during the 8 months of winter. It’s hard for me to believe Canada will let Newfoundland starve. It’s hard for me to imagine boards of New Yorkers trudging across the Cabot Straits. I feel browsed, even as an determined atheist.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:12   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
What a really pathetic thread with the same experts weighing in on this subject too! Get a life or another hobby.....
Tou dont have to read it, you have a choice.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:15   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
We lived in the Washington, DC area for a long time. Looking at plume models is key for Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical scenarios. We use Nukemap - https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Being upwind from major targets is key. Dominica looks good with plenty of water and agriculture.

Cheers, RickG
Loved both DR and Dominique. But you have to remember that Dominique has a long history of being heavily damaged by hurricanes. Historically the damage has so great that folks starved due to crop destruction, including dasheen. And anyone who can exist on dasheen has my respect, and a fair bit of distance because you are weird.
Old 24-10-2019, 13:29   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
What dumb ass started this dumb thread. If the bomb ever hits, you'll be dead. Live your life!!!
lots of scenarios that meet the shtf situation without being warfare.
What about long term loss of power in your area . As a matter of fact we are much more likely to have a Carrington like solar cme event knock out the " global " grid. No power no internet , no groceries in the stores. No POS No buying. No electric no gasoline or diesel getting out of the ground tanks .

A big hurricane and your region is screwed ( just look at Puerto Rico ) been over a year and still services are not fully restored )
Old 24-10-2019, 13:36   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Truth be told some tiny bit of our survival strategy included reinforcing relations with kin n Newfoundland. It’s good to have a place to go where you know you will be welcome. Even if it’s effing cold during the 8 months of winter. It’s hard for me to believe Canada will let Newfoundland starve. It’s hard for me to imagine boards of New Yorkers trudging across the Cabot Straits. I feel browsed, even as an determined atheist.
Totally agree Howard. Although Newfoundland has challenges with regard to local food sources, it has an incredible sense of community. Although not unique to The Rock, I think there are few places in the world where basic kindness and decency runs deeper. And in the scenarios we’re playing with, the fact that it’s an island with a somewhat challenging climate means the hordes are less likely to over run the place.

Strong community and collective support will be the greatest asset in any catastrophic scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Tou dont have to read it, you have a choice.
No kidding.

It’s an ongoing mystery to me why some people think they have the right to control what others want to talk about. Seriously… if you have no interest in a thread, and have nothing useful to contribute, just move on. No one is forced to read, let alone respond, to anything here.

“Get a life” seems like good advice to these people.
Old 24-10-2019, 13:39   #36

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Lots of weapons and ammo, 55 gallon drums of salt and pepper. I hear humans taste like chicken. There will be plenty for all. Carry on.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:43   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Totally agree Howard. Although Newfoundland has challenges with regard to local food sources, it has an incredible sense of community. Although not unique to The Rock, I think there are few places in the world where basic kindness and decency runs deeper. And in the scenarios we’re playing with, the fact that it’s an island with a somewhat challenging climate means the hordes are less likely to over run the place.

Strong community and collective support will be the greatest asset in any catastrophic scenario.

No kidding.

It’s an ongoing mystery to me why some people think they have the right to control what others want to talk about. Seriously… if you have no interest in a thread, and have nothing useful to contribute, just move on. No one is forced to read, let alone respond, to anything here.

“Get a life” seems like good advice to these people.
As much as I'm becoming a little more of a loner I believe the point you raise about community is very important.

Theres a site I look at from time to time https://www.peakprosperity.com/ that talks (amongst other things) about the importance of building community for self sustainably, he refers to community as a source of capital.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:52   #38

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

Ha ha stash your salt and kill for it. I'll just scrape it off my ports after a passage and give away what I can't use.

There is such abundance of everything we need. Scarcity is a story we tell.

Not likely that we will bomb ourselves back to a New Stone Age, but we might suffer a collective inconvenience that causes us to reconsider our priorities. I for one would welcome less disposable consumerism and institutionalized cheating hidden behind meaningless self perpetuating complexity.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:54   #39
Marine Service Provider

I’ve been thinking about this literally for decades. I have developed a list of where not to go and why you don’t want to be there when it really hits the fan.
1. My short answer: Gold, Guns and Real Estate (preferably productive farm land). My caveat: don’t buy more gold than you can carry in your rucksack while running with your AR-15 and 200 rounds of ammo and two canteens of water. I’m getting pretty old so I probably can’t do that anymore.
2. Stay away from all continental land mass. These will become hell-holes in short order, especially Europe, Asia, Africa or their near-shore islands or island nations. They will be taken over in a caliphate or subjugated by other radical (communist) mobs, regimes or governments run by gangsters. Unfortunately, this must also include North, Central and South America and the islands of the Caribbean. Even if you own farm land in a secret valley in northern Idaho next to a lake full of fish, you will be overrun by armed urban mobs when the cities and towns run out of food and cops.
3. This pretty much leaves the vast Pacific. Pick an island with good rainfall statistics, temperate or sub-tropical climate, arable soil and located way off the shipping lanes. In the meantime work on your fishing and farming skills. Have a boat read for a fast get away.
I’m looking at some of the new designs for solar powered boats, ones with small diesel fired gensets that can power the boat by recharging its batteries, or by direct electro-mechanical or hydraulic means. Learn how to make biodiesel from coconuts.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 14:23   #40

Luckily, I live in a place that would probably be fine in any SHTF scenario that didn't involve an asteroid landing on top of us. I'll just stay at home.

Plus, you have to keep in mind, now many of these unaffected places are going to be that welcoming to strangers coming in and needing scarce resources?
Old 24-10-2019, 14:34   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakytiki View Post
I would be staying right here ..North Carolina. We have some of the best fishing on the coast, and still plenty of wooded areas to hunt for food. Such a long growing season, sail off the ocean way and down on of the long rivers and find great fertile land to grow crops. Such a shot winter on the Crystal Coast and further down near Pleasure Island. This is where we first colonized and there is a reason Oriental is a sailor's haven. May not be exotic but it would be just another great adventure.
I think along the same lines. I’m even considering that area as a “retirement” location. But I’ll have to gat a shoal draft boat, our 6’6” 40,000 lb ocean cruiser is not ideal for those waters.

Ever been to “Belvedere” (or Belview?) I think it is called, near New Bern? County seat though you would never think it. They have a monument that says in the back something like “With kind thanks to our loyal slaves.”

But I don’t know how kindly they would take to a Yankee like me. May not end well.
Old 24-10-2019, 14:36   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sorry but that option is not in my DNA
Ditto dude, great minds and all that.
Old 24-10-2019, 14:43   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Ditto dude, great minds and all that.
except that I already live in the best place for shtf .

Booklet chart Pdf
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4MPpwUfMD5klfO

Not to mention all of the wilderness to hunt and fish in
Heck one of the best areas on the planet just to live
Old 24-10-2019, 14:45   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Should probably add - might be in our children's lifetime, so let's sday somewhere closer to the end than the middle of this century - this allows for a bit of 'global warming' and 'climate change' to influence decisions and perchance make some places more rather than less desirable.
So if we are adding 80 years of progress to this scenario, then I would consider "Under the Sea"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 14:56   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Not wise decision.. Accordance to WIKI..
"The Guadalcanal campaign, also known as the Battle of Guadalcanal and codenamed Operation Watchtower by American forces, was a military campaign fought between 7 August 1942 and 9 February 1943 on and around the island of Guadalcanal in the Pacific theater of World War II"

Duh!

I think that was the whole point of the story and went without saying.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote