Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 12:18   #16

Re: Gibraltar EU status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlich View Post
Yes, we've been watching closely. We're not overly concerned about our own inconvenience - there are many others facing much more significant challenges than us. The advice, updates and information from all is much appreciated.... Thankyou
Godspeed everyone.

There becoming the new norm not dissimilar to what happened with my Chinese clients in Hubei province.

Some 47 million Spanish residents have been banned from leaving their homes -- with the exception of those going to work, buying food, going to a hospital, or supporting an elderly person or child in their care.

And now foreign nationals are not allowed to enter the country.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 11:48   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Hi all,

I have been trying to keep up with events etc with regards to my current situation in Spain, plus seeing the posts from others like Timlich, who also had plans to come to Spain and depart to go cruising....
well my situation is pretty much unchanged, I am currently aboard my boat in Denia, not problems at the moment, just the obvious one of not being allowed to depart. Don't know how it will develop if it continues for an extended period, but my 'free' mooring agreement comes to an end at the end of March, this was an agreement with the previous owner to allow time to prep etc for departure. Obviously they aren't going to cast me adrift and I have no problems of paying for the utilities I use, will just have to see how it pans out as and when I can depart. Current plan A would be to head to Gibraltar, resupply (subject to panic buyers and available stock of supplies) then head east.... a whole lot of unknowns right now but I am sure there must be cruisers out there who are somehow managing?

Great link from Slug with regards to checking out re: VAT, I was planning to do via morocco myself, but if I can do it in Gib then problem solved..... thanks Slug.... a great link/post I greatly appreciate.

Ray.
Ray. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 13:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray. View Post
Hi all,

I have been trying to keep up with events etc with regards to my current situation in Spain, plus seeing the posts from others like Timlich, who also had plans to come to Spain and depart to go cruising....
well my situation is pretty much unchanged, I am currently aboard my boat in Denia, not problems at the moment, just the obvious one of not being allowed to depart. Don't know how it will develop if it continues for an extended period, but my 'free' mooring agreement comes to an end at the end of March, this was an agreement with the previous owner to allow time to prep etc for departure. Obviously they aren't going to cast me adrift and I have no problems of paying for the utilities I use, will just have to see how it pans out as and when I can depart. Current plan A would be to head to Gibraltar, resupply (subject to panic buyers and available stock of supplies) then head east.... a whole lot of unknowns right now but I am sure there must be cruisers out there who are somehow managing?

Great link from Slug with regards to checking out re: VAT, I was planning to do via morocco myself, but if I can do it in Gib then problem solved..... thanks Slug.... a great link/post I greatly appreciate.

Ray.
Ray - you might be better to stay where you are for the time being. The short explanation of the current status at most ports across the world, appears to be that you won't be allowed entry and may find yourself being 'pushed along'. At least you are not going to be pushed from your current mooring (cost aside of course). If you can afford to stay I'd plan on staying at least another 3-4 weeks maybe longer, unless you can remain at sea for an extended period without landing. There have been some really informative updates on here and you're right in acknowledging how helpful everyone is. But the prognosis, as unwelcome as it is, seems to be that most countries will remain in lockdown (from a border perspective anyway) for some time yet. I feel for you as your situation is much more difficult than my own. One consolation for you is the fact that there are plenty of people on here who are willing and able to help you, even if it is from afar.
Stay safe.
Timlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 13:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray. View Post
Hi all,

Ray.
Ray, Gibraltar is not outside of the EU, it is only outside the EU Common Customs Tariff area and it does not charge VAT. Going to Gibraltar is not exiting the EU and thus does not reset the 18 month clock as to compliance with a temporary import and related VAT relief for a boat owned by a non-EU resident. Common misconception.

Gibraltar's status within the EU is that it is a full EU member except that it is exempted from levying VAT as it does not form part of the EU's Common Customs Tariff area. For this reason, it is important to differentiate between countries falling within the EU's CCT area and other EU territories such as Gibraltar. For the reasons described above, if you register your yacht in Gibraltar you pay:

No VAT in Gibraltar
No Import Duty (if your vessel is not based in Gibraltar)
No tax on the sale of your vessel

VAT (Value Added Tax)

VAT is normally charged on yachts which are used within Common Customs Tariff waters, regardless of whether the yacht is owned by a Gibraltar company. For this reason it is important to note that whether a yacht is registered in Gibraltar or any other British Flag port, it is also subject to the conditions imposed by other countries as to the length of time that it may remain in any port without becoming subject to Import Duty as a foreign registered vessel.

Although VAT-free temporary importation status is still available to yachts which do not spend more that six months in any year in CCT waters, this is conditional upon the yacht not being used by any EU residents during its time in CCT waters.

If a vessel which is seeking a transfer of its Port of Registry from a country within the Common Customs Tariff area to Gibraltar, has already paid VAT on its purchase value, it would be important to show that the "resale" of the vessel to the name of a Gibraltar company is effected within the CCT area in order to preserve its VAT-paid status.
EU citizens seeking to re-register their vessels in Gibraltar in the name of Gibraltar companies should note that any VAT levied by CCT member countries on their vessels would be conditional upon their status as EU citizens and not on their vessel's Port of Registry. For this reason it would certainly be a bonus if those EU citizens seeking to re-register their vessels in Gibraltar and continue to use their vessels within CCT waters, have already paid VAT on their vessels.

So while registering your vessel in Gibraltar avails no VAT in Gibraltar is does not protect against other EU country VAT and import tariff.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar