Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 07:42   #31

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Getting ready to start Cruising, what about a car?

Keep an old beater car. When you arrive at your new marina, get a rental car for a few days to drive back to where you left the old car and bring it back to your new destination. In big cities with airports there will be Alamo, Thrify, Hertz and all the others, but in nearly every small town there is a local Enterprise and Avis car rental for locals.

This also gives you the ability to explore that part of the country that you cant see from a vessel.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:25   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40

I had to relocate to a new boat across the Australian continent, re-rig the new boat, return and organize the sale of the old and find storage for a lot of stuff I did not want to have on the new boat but cannot bring myself to dispose of. The answer was a commercial van in which I installed a bunk. Enjoyed the hell out of the road trip and the ongoing storage space is a real benefit. I am pretty sure I have more than broken even on the cost of packing, shipping and storage.

Ditch the car and buy a van.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 02:47   #33

Along similar lines, of being on the move, I've lived and worked in 18 different countries and 9 different states over a 40 year period.

If it wasn't too far from previous location I'd drive my own car to new location
I drove from Indiana to California coz car was leased and I'd have been paying if I put it in storage

If it was big jump and long term -
  • sell car
  • rent for one week to assess
    1. need for car,
    2. good public transpo, Sarasota was great, good buses, all got to central point at same time, able to carry a couple of bikes on the front rack
    3. bicycle
    4. etc etc

Some moves, the above just won't work -
UK to Iran
Moved from NJ to Baltimore (parking, crime issues)

As for buying cars in new location, I buy on e-bay from somewhere 100+ miles away and ALWAYS ask the seller if he will deliver(test the sellers confidence in cars' reliability)......if they won't, NOT for me if they will it gives me increased confidence in the purchase......I LOW BALL all cars! older Toyota Supra for $350 with seized brakes......I had it running fine within the week

These days with stores offering cheap deliveries not having a car for everyday odds and ends isn't always necessary
panglaodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 18:33   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We found a few marinas that offered a courtesy car along the east coast. I also suggest bicycles, often available courtesy at the marina office or nearby rental. I can’t imagine the logistics of managing a personal car while cruising. We often make changes in plans along the way amounting to wild destination changes and timing.

BTW Rental cars in the Caribbean are cheap.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising