Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 10:23   #16

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Getting ready to start Cruising, what about a car?

We spent a few months in MD, VA, and NC, moving our boat south. We kept our trusty old Nissan Maxima (1999, 160K miles) at several marinas where we had long stays. Worked out great. We were very busy getting our newly acquired boat ready for cruising and needed to make lots of trips to town.

When we left port, we would rent a car for a day, move our car to the next port, drive back in the rental, and sail away. The car rental places would sometimes give me a free lift back to the marina.

We would leave the boat and the car and fly home. The marinas we stayed at did not mind our car being there. Said they had lots of absentee owner customers who left their cars. Just don't stay in one place too long with out of state plates.

Eventually I had a problem where I was unable to renew my license plates without an emissions test from my home state. I did not find a good workaround for this and had too drive it back home.

So we used the old Max to drive home, and decided to sell the house and the car. Now we have a place on the East Coast, a nice boat, and one less car, a happy ending.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 12:54   #17

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

An easy fix is cut your insurance to the legal minimums and then dump the car. Then when you rent you can refuse their insurance and still be covered. Keeping a junker only makes sense if you stay at each port for long periods and cannot manage locally by using folding bike(s).
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 13:45   #18

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I commuted via airlines to my boat for a number of years. Used my Bike Friday folding bike (bikefriday.com) and public transit for 98% of my transportation needs. Occasionally rented a car for transporting heavy stuff I couldn't fit on the bike or carry on a bus or longer distance venturing where public transit didn't work but that was very little.

Originally got the BikeFriday because the rental car costs were way excessive for something that sat in the marina parking lot for most of the time I rented it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 14:11   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We know a fair wee number of folks who cruise Australia's East Coast, and move the car along so as to have the use of it.

We kept Jim's car when we first left the States. It was easy to take it's insurance to a very low level while it was stored on agricultural land; but when we came back, despite many years claim free, we went in the assigned risk pool! That was a shock. The other side was that the car didn't like to sit. I remember one year, when there was Jim in the dirt, under the car, chasing a brake dysfunction, still groggy from a very long plane flight.

NO, I say, sell the car. You will make new friends who will take you to see national parks, or you will rent cars to go where you want.

Simply organizing multiple State shipping every few weeks is a hassle you will not enjoy, let alone all the registration issues.

Besides, exploring on foot or by bicycle is how you really learn an area. You have more complete interaction with the environment.

When we got to NZ, we did buy a used car in the middle of the market, and sold it two years later for almost what we'd paid for it, cheapest use of a car we've ever had. Someone kindly looked after it for us during the non-cyclone season.

Ann
Old 23-04-2018, 15:15   #20

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Not sure about the situation where you live, but we always had good luck with a ride share platform like Blablacar in Europe.
Apart from that public transport and hitch hiking has worked very well for us.
If hitch hiking, avoid doing it solo or in remote or dogy areas though.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 15:29   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Not sure about the situation where you live, but we always had good luck with a ride share platform like Blablacar in Europe.
Apart from that public transport and hitch hiking has worked very well for us.
If hitch hiking, avoid doing it solo or in remote or dogy areas though.
I am sure the Europeans are less dependent on having a car at their disposal than we in north America. Somewhat makes them more independent. Most Americans wouldn't know what to do without two parked in the driveway.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 20:27   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"despite many years claim free, we went in the assigned risk pool! That was a shock."
Very much depends on your insurer. A friend of mine got a similar surprise after not having insurance (or a car) for a while. You get thrown back into "no recent driving history" and that's assigned risk pool. Other insurers will take you back--if you were a previous customer in good standing--within a time limit.

Some insurers will also allow you to not own a car, and simply carry liability insurance. Which will cover some damage to a rental car, but not everything. Which can put you back to the limited coverage that some credit cards offer on car rentals, and you have to read that carefully.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:16   #23

Dunno... one scenario Iím looking at is to keep the Jeep and an expedition trailer for overland cruising during the sailing off-season.

But... it would probably have to be in secure storage somewhere. Maybe too much hassle.

When I have moved and kept the boat 200 miles away, Iíve had to ďstageĒ vehicles from time to time. Iím not sure Iíd want to do such a thing as a regular lifestyle, but hereís how itís done. Tow vehicle A behind vehicle B to destination. (I use a farm truck and equipment trailer, but one could use, for example, an RV with a small car on a tow-bar.) Drive vehicle A back to departure point. Sail boat to destination. Drive vehicle B back to departure point, then tow it back to destination with vehicle A. Repeat as needed.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:37   #24

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well are we talking about a Toyota or a classic Ferrari? Toss the Toyota keep the Ferrari. Do you really feel the need to own the car for short stays or are you planning on being shore bound for months on end?
Old 23-04-2018, 22:45   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

My boat is trailerable. So I have no choice but to keep a car. I will put trailer and car in a storage facility. Then take bus or plane to where they reside when it is time to trailer boat to new cruising grounds due to weather or finished with that area. I'm dying to begin
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 00:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithacausey View Post
Hi, If you sell your cars and then get some rentals along the way, what do you do for insurance on the rentals?

Thanks
Insurance is an issue:
- If you do drop it entirely, for at least 6months after you get it again, you will pay big time as you will be considered a new driver (been there, done that)
- Liability insurance isn't good for rentals. Yeah if you run over a kindergarten class crossing the road...but the typical bumps and scratches it will do nothing. You need comprehensive or you may be buying a rental car when you crash it.
- Rental car insurance often costs as much as the rental.

We have done both with and without a car. In dense urban areas, parking is an issue but luckily most marinas in the USA have free parking.
Having a car is really nice in most of the USA (Europe is a different matter) but if you are constantly on the move, it's a pain. If you had to move the truck weekly, it just wouldn't be worth the hassle or cost.

We took the truck along when we slowed down:
- We would travel for a week or two staying a night or two at a time.
- Then we would stop for a month or two at a marina (better rates for long term stays). Usually covered a couple hundred miles between long stays.
- Get a rental car in the morning, drive to the old marina pick up the truck and tag team back. Drop off the rental...usually around $100 including gas for a one day rental.
- Check with the marina before setting out on the next leg that they won't have an issue leaving the truck there (as long term customers we were never denied). If they do, you could always move to the next destination marina ahead of time.

Well worth the minor hassle if you are traveling slowly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 02:25   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Joe & Susan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 02:54   #28

Boat: Westsail 32

Two considerations about keeping a car while cruising. When I went left to go cruising, I also changed my domicile state from Georgia to Florida and to establish residency I brought along my car. Cost me $700 to bring it into Florida but it gave me proof to the GA tax commissioner, that I was no longer resident there and didn't have to pay any state taxes. It costs me $300 a year to store it in Fort Pierce and insurance is about $600 annually.
Just about all my car rentals in the USA are one way and Avis/Budget give by far the best deals.
Eyeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 04:07   #29

Boat: Etap 38i
Getting ready to start Cruising, what about a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrockert View Post
My wife and I are avid sailors and and coastal cruise on our 34' catamaran between Galveston Texas and Corpus Christi, Texax, a few times each year. We will be expanding our cruising to a more full time roll as retirement is setting in. We plan on cruising up and down the East coast chasing nice weather. Summers up north and winters in Florida. We will be staying in marina's for 2-3 months at a time.

Would I be crazy to thing about shipping a my car to my next location each time we pick up and move?

Joe&Susan

Corpus Christi, Tx
Unless you need a car to get to work on a regular basis, I think you will find it much more cost effective to sell the car, drop your insurance, and use some combination of Rental cars/Uber/taxis/bicycles to get where you need to go. The fixed costs of keeping a car these days are substantial; add to that the cost of having it trucked to your next destination every time you set sail and it is going to add up very quickly.

If you have American Express they have a deal where for a flat $19 fee they give you comprehensive coverage on a rental car (much better than the daily charge from a rental agency).
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 07:17   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

As with most things in cruising, the right answer is usually: It Depends .

It depends on your circumstances and your needs (or even your wants). It depends on how and where you are cruising and living. It depends on local costs, geography and perhaps driving history.

There is no one right answer for everyone.

Tags
cruising