Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 05:50   #1

Boat: Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39
Getting closer

Well, as of last Friday, the boats is in the water. Great, small, quiet marina off the Rhode River in Maryland. This weekend I start clearing out the house. Going to get the donatables out first, then organize those things that I will sell at the local flea market for a little extra boat cash.

I also have to get harnesses for the kitties, so they can begin to get accustomed to being "confined" for their safety while on board.

I will purchase the reverse cycle heat/AC unit next month and get that installed before winter hits. I should be able to throw a Y on the engine raw water valve as I won't be using that unit while sailing. So, no need to drill another hole in the boat.

I still have to find a decent storage facility for the few items I plan to keep and for my work clothing that I don't want to store on the boat. Boy, those places really rape you with their monthly fees, but it is my best option while I still have to pull the 9-5 (or in my case, 6:30-4).

There's a post office just up the street from the marina, so I should be able to pick up a postal box there for important mailings.

That's all that I can think of for now--hopefully, I do not leave out a vital step while breaking my land ties....
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 06:11   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Getting closer

Congrats

If you are going to be in the cold area during the winter you probably really need diesel heat instead of the reverse cycle.
Old 15-06-2017, 07:39   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Congrats! You're making good progress and will soon be aboard. Happy for you.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 10:34   #4

Thank you. I am really excited and admittedly a little scared at the same time about the move. But, seeing how everything is naturally falling into place, I have no doubt that this is what I am supposed to be doing. As confirmation, after the boat was tied up, I did have to spend a few extra minutes sitting below just enjoying her gentle rocking in the slip.
Old 15-06-2017, 10:46   #5

Enjoy
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 11:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Montigre, It's good to here of your beginnings. We would often anchor in that little cove to port when entering Rhode River while we were poking about the Chesapeake. I also recall taking the dinghy to that marina up river for ice and exploring the little island nearby. Keep us posted of your adventures.
Old 15-06-2017, 16:38   #7

Thanks, HF, I will. I am sure to have a few questions for the group as this new journey progresses.