Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 17:00   #1

Future Liveaboarder

I'm about 5-6 years out from being able to act on anything, but my wife and I have been talking for quite awhile about this and have done a fair amount of research of several aspects, so excuse me if this seems pointless from someone with my limited experience.

I'm hoping to convert a fishing trawler into a liveaboard for around $150k (US), as our first/permanent home. Initial investigation suggested 40-45 ft is adequate to raise a family (Considering 2-3 children, but likely only 2), though I've found the price change for non-convereted fishing vessels can easily exceed 100 ft. We're aiming for the 45-80 ft range, most likely within 50-65 ft.

Because of my career, funding shouldn't be a problem once we're afloat, nor location, so we should be able to cruise around wherever we want. We're going with the $150k limit for realistic purposes within the 20% downpayment of the kind of savings we'll likely have in the 5 year minimum we're looking at.

I am aware of how expensive a boat renovation/conversion can get and how quickly, especially with working on a boat that size, so please, reserve the "You don't know what you're getting into" comments to an absolute minimum.

My question today is in regards to transportation when cruising. Does anyone have any experience with motorcycles? A small crane/winch could easily be used to lift a small "cafe racer" style motorcycle onto the dock, and I've seen some extremists use steel beams to nail bitingly guide their bike onto the dock. Assuming you're using a small naked bike empty of liquids, you're looking at roughly 300 lbs.

Or should I strongly invest my time into bicycling? I currently live in a fairly urban area, and bicycling isn't too far out of question. If so, mountain or urban bike?

I get that I can walk/bus/taxi most anywhere, but I'm mostly curious about the Caribbean and Mediterranean stops. What do most people use to get around?
Al0ysiusHWWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 17:45   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Future Liveaboarder

You could use the same type of davit/crane for a motorcycle you would use for a dinghy. Bear in mind the difficulties you may have getting a tag or other legal permission to use your m/c. USA tag ain't gonna cut it in most places.
Old 02-09-2012, 17:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
USA tag ain't gonna cut it in most places.
Haha, agreed. Though I'm not too worried about local law enforcement cracking down on unless they're just out to get me in the first place/super cop.

Coming from some Seattle, people ride dirt bikes/go carts/etc in the street all the time without licensing. Obviously, it depends on local laws, but at this point I'm mostly just looking for reference.
Al0ysiusHWWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 18:30   #4

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

We use cheap beach cruisers. Keep them on the bow and cover them. Got the last two at a garage sale for $35 for the two of them..
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

You will always be able to manage a bicycle with quick release wheels or the folding types even by dinghy, but the opportunity to position your vessel to accomodate hoisting a motorcycle to shore will be more limited.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Al0ysiusHWWW.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 15:51   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al0ysiusHWWW View Post
Though I'm not too worried about local law enforcement cracking down on unless they're just out to get me in the first place/super cop.
Bad assumption to make. You can't base what police in foriegn ports are going to do/be like on what they are here in the US. Some may be very lax and willing to be "lubricated." Others may be very strict and by the book and cite you and/or arrest you for any violation, whether you knew you were breaking the law or not. And others still may just decide that they don't like you and make your life a living a hell just because they can. Always make sure you know the local rules and regs and even better, local attitudes.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote