Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2023, 16:04   #1

Boat: Island Packet 38
Question Fuel injected Tohatsu 15HP for Dinghy?

I'm in the market for a new outboard for my 11' Caribe ding. Will be a 15 or 20 HP to replace an aging 20 HP Honda. (and a HEAVY beast it is at 130#).

I was surprised to see that Tohatsu is now offering fuel-injected 15's and 20's. I love the idea of (hopefully) never cleaning out a d@#%ed carb again.

I'm trying to find out:

1. How long have these motors been on the market? (Am I a guinea pig if I'm an "early adopter" of this new technology.

2. Does anyone have real-world experience with these motors being used as their "daily driver" in a cruising lifestyle. (e.g. no access to frequent fresh-water flushes, and all of the use and abuse an outboard gets subjected to by cruisers.)

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
s/v Aurora, Key West
Jeff on Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 16:11   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Fuel injected Tohatsu 15HP for Ding?

The fuel injected Tohatsus have been around for at least a few years. I've never heard any complaints about them. And there are tons of their outboards in the world in general, so I wouldn't be particularly concerned about it holding up to general use.

I think a couple of people on here have the EFI version of the 9.9/15/20 hp Tohatsu and will hopefully chime in.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 17:47   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

the only reason I got the tohatsu 9.9 fuel injection is because it has fuel injection.

You absolutely can’t go wrong with a fuel injected motor. No more unreliable hard starting carburetor cleaning hell.

Freshwater flush? How bougie. I have never done that before in all of my life sailing. Won’t be starting now.

I’ve had the 9.9 fuel injected for about two years now. Ever see me posting anything about my outboard not working? All it does it start up and run every single time. Gotta love fuel injection.
Starts first or second pull every single time. The only reason it doesn’t always start first pull is because sometimes that first pull has to charge up the electronics that fire the injector.

Another thing about fuel injection. Both of my main engines are fuel injected as well. They are from 2010 or something. I have about 1500 or 2000 nautical miles on this boat all of it under motor. No maintenance done to these engines at all. Nothing but the standard lower unit stuff that you have to do. Nothing to the power head. Running perfectly. If you’re going to use gasoline, you absolutely can’t beat a fuel injected engine. Well, I guess that does stand true for Diesel as well. Ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 19:49   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Tohatsu 15 EFI for me too. Completed 3rd season. Freshwater flush once at end of each season before winter layup. Work it pretty hard pulling kids on wakeboard and tube behind dinghy (highfield CL290)
So, never a problem on my end. Only complaint is slightly harder to pull start than older tech engines probably due to needing to spool up EFI with first pull. I personally would not add weight of electric start +battery.
Bottom line, EFI has been around for a while and thank goodness has made it down to smaller outboards
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 20:49   #5

Had a 25hp merc EFI...loved it. Never had any carb issues. Starts immediately, idles smoothly...can't see why a 15hp wouldn't have most of the same benefits. It's not like EFI is new technology.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:30   #6

Re: Fuel injected Tohatsu 15HP for Dinghy?

Maybe not down the same vein, but I bought a 5hp Tohatsu outboard that runs on propane.

I love that thing. It’s relieving not to have to think about gas fumes, spills, fires, etc., and it’s supposed to burn 50x cleaner.

B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 14:48   #7

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Have a Suzuki 20 fuel injected outboard. Know of three others locally. No issues over the last few years. Suspect could expect similar service from Tohatsu.

By the way, the 15 and 20 hp Suzuki’s (as well as the 9.9s) weigh exactly the same. For a few more $, get the 20.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 16:07   #8

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

If you get an EFI outboard, put a big water removing prefilter on, don't let water get into the EFI, it is VERY difficult to get all the water out. No need to ask how I know!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Maybe not down the same vein, but I bought a 5hp Tohatsu outboard that runs on propane.

I love that thing. It’s relieving not to have to think about gas fumes, spills, fires, etc., and it’s supposed to burn 50x cleaner.

B
We also have a 5hp propane Tohatsu. No complaints here. Initial use, it takes a couple minutes for the gas to reach the head though.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:07   #10

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've had my Tohatsu 15 for about a year and a half and used it on an 8 month trip to Maine and back with almost no time spent at Marinas. Worked great the whole time. I replaced a 2014 Suzuki 15hp which had become just about unusable since 2017 due to corrosion clogging the block cooling passages. This problem with the Suzuki 9.9-20hp series is well documented in other threads. The Suzuki manual even says if you must use it in salt water you need to flush it with fresh water after every use. That should have been a hint that it would not do well in the long term on a cruising boat. The Tohatsu manual on the other hand talks about the salt water resistant alloys they use. My Tohatsu starts on the second pull every time now. Before it was well broken in it took three pulls. The only issue I have is that it will not plane 4 people in the dinghy, so if you are planning to carry a load I think it needs a prop with a bit less pitch than the standard prop. When we get 4 large people in the dinghy it just won't reach the RPM needed. I've already purchased a prop with 1" less pitch but have not tested it with a heavy load. I'm hoping a inch is enough.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 13:51   #11

My Tohatsu propane outboard pulls and starts 1 to 2 pulls. Never floods/ period!
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 18:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I've had my Tohatsu 15 for about a year and a half and used it on an 8 month trip to Maine and back with almost no time spent at Marinas. Worked great the whole time. I replaced a 2014 Suzuki 15hp which had become just about unusable since 2017 due to corrosion clogging the block cooling passages. This problem with the Suzuki 9.9-20hp series is well documented in other threads. The Suzuki manual even says if you must use it in salt water you need to flush it with fresh water after every use. That should have been a hint that it would not do well in the long term on a cruising boat. The Tohatsu manual on the other hand talks about the salt water resistant alloys they use. My Tohatsu starts on the second pull every time now. Before it was well broken in it took three pulls. The only issue I have is that it will not plane 4 people in the dinghy, so if you are planning to carry a load I think it needs a prop with a bit less pitch than the standard prop. When we get 4 large people in the dinghy it just won't reach the RPM needed. I've already purchased a prop with 1" less pitch but have not tested it with a heavy load. I'm hoping a inch is enough.

I depitched my Tohatsu 15 prop on my highfield cl290. That helped and last summer and has planed with 4 medium sized adult. But it was marginal getting up. It can pull me up on a wakeboard with some effort with light people (my kids) driving
Old 03-02-2023, 09:34   #13

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Let’s set record straight on the Suzuki, Tohatsu discussion.

TOHATSU OWNERS MANUAL (OB NO. 003-11116-2AG1)
MFS 15D; MFS 20D:

Page 60

“Note (ENON 000 26-0)
It is recommended to check the chemical properties of the water in which your outboard is regularly used.

If outboard motor is used in salt water, brackish water or water high in acid level, use fresh water to remove salt, chemicals, or mud. And flush water cooling passage after every cruising or before storing outboard motor for long time.”

Comment. Think the translation from Japanese curious, but appears “every cruising” likely means every use.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 15:04   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Just an update on my Tohatsu 15hp. It's dead. I got to the Bahamas and the Fuel pump diaphragm failed and filled the crankcase with gasoline. We managed to barely get back to the boat. The POS did not even make 2.5 years. I probably have less than 100 hours on it. I'm going to try to get a fuel pump sent in and hope that and an oil change will revive it. It's likely that there is some damage to the rings and cylinders.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 04:44   #15

Quote:
Just an update on my Tohatsu 15hp. It's dead. I got to the Bahamas and the Fuel pump diaphragm failed and filled the crankcase with gasoline. We managed to barely get back to the boat. The POS did not even make 2.5 years. I probably have less than 100 hours on it. I'm going to try to get a fuel pump sent in and hope that and an oil change will revive it. It's likely that there is some damage to the rings and cylinders.
That's a bummer. You've had bad luck with a Suzuki and now a Tohatsu? What's left ?

Tags
fuel