Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 19:57   #46

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Freezer or No Freezer?

I consider an automatic washing machine an essential item. It does use a lot of water but it is one of the few appliances that makes the boat more like a house and than a camping ground. The washing machine is bulkier, so if you have a good place for it, install one.

A freezer is also convenient but really, what does it add to the typical diet on a boat. When you catch fish you eat it immediately. Frozen meals are bad for you and not really available at sea. Ice cream is the obvious candidate but you need a very small freezer box for that. Find a place elsewhere on the boat.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:01   #47

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I installed a Camec, but sometimes I wonder of the little Daewoo would have been a better choice, just because it is so much more compact. I was worried it was too small, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway,both have good reputations from those that use them and so.f a r I've been very happy with the Camec.

FWIW, I made a custom black water tank that doubled as the washing machine stand, so it was a very efficient use of space, plus it puts the washing machine at a convenient height.
Thanks for that. Regarding the “black water tank”, was that used for the washing machine water? I would of thought that washing machine discharge would be grey water? Plus I would assume there are less restrictions in discharging washing machine water in Oz (ie in marinas?).

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:14   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
We currently have 2 x Fridges with Micro Freezers and a newly Non functioning Freezer.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 Kids, sometimes 3) who due to the Virus have yet to set sail and I am considering whether we will need a Freezer or not - Cost of repair is minor, but fiddling around with it I noticed that it is the perfect location for a Washing Machine which unlike other locations i've considered, it requires minimal work and no structural work to fit in.

So bearing in mind our family set up, Who thinks a Freezer is essential or who just thinks its extravagant?
Think of it logically...

Good food is essential and premade frozen meals are so very handy when weather is rough.

Fresh Laundry is not a critical element.
You can always wash by hand, but you cannot freeze without a freezer.
keep the freezer
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 03:18   #49

Boat: Nordhavn 46 motorsailor
Send a message via Skype™ to janaconda

Our setup is a 160 cm high Samsung Household two doors Fridge with the upper third part as deep freezer. Made with Digital Inverter Tecnology. Very low consumption. 420 USD. It runs on 220 volt from a separate Snadi 1000 watt inverter. All the 220 volt outlets are connected to this inverter 24/7. So TV etc has always power. All driven on 3 x solar panels each 350 watt We never start the engine to charge. The freezer has a very nice double tray icecube maker. Just twist it and the icecubes land in another tray. Just fill again with water and tree hours after there is more icecubes. Has been working great for two years.
Old 15-06-2020, 03:50   #50

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Thanks for that. Regarding the “black water tank”, was that used for the washing machine water? I would of thought that washing machine discharge would be grey water? Plus I would assume there are less restrictions in discharging washing machine water in Oz (ie in marinas?).

Ilenart

Black water = toilet. 🤮

Washing machine discharge depends a lot on where you are, but a conversation with the local EPA guy reassured me that my super-enviro-friendly detergent is acceptable in most places. Otherwise it’s off to the coin laundry to play pickup with the 20 y.o.’s.
Old 15-06-2020, 04:06   #51

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Otherwise it’s off to the coin laundry to play pickup with the 20 y.o.’s.
a fringe benefit of laundry I haven’t thought of
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 04:25   #52

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
a fringe benefit of laundry I haven’t thought of

More of an unforeseen hazard than a fringe benefit I reckon.
Old 18-06-2020, 10:39   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
a fringe benefit of laundry I haven’t thought of [emoji3]
On long deliveries and weatherbound in a strange port, those coin laundries and your swashbuckling appearance was a great place to find comfort
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 06:40   #54

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

We don’t have room or power for a freezer out cruising. So we can. Works out great. You could use your broken freezer to store the canned products.
Old 19-06-2020, 06:52   #55

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I have a small GE chest freezer on board and consider it essential.
Old 19-06-2020, 07:13   #56

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have a built in freezer and I use it mainly for long trips. Definitely makes carrying some ready to heat meals easy. And on the long crossings I like to catch and freeze Tuna and Mahi which lasts a long time in the freezer.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:27   #57

Definitely, definitely use freezer. Fridge food only lasts short time & scrambling to get food repeatedly.
Freezer! Well, you Know !
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:20   #58
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
We currently have 2 x Fridges with Micro Freezers and a newly Non functioning Freezer.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 Kids, sometimes 3) who due to the Virus have yet to set sail and I am considering whether we will need a Freezer or not - Cost of repair is minor, but fiddling around with it I noticed that it is the perfect location for a Washing Machine which unlike other locations i've considered, it requires minimal work and no structural work to fit in.

So bearing in mind our family set up, Who thinks a Freezer is essential or who just thinks its extravagant?
After purchasing my new-to-me boat one of the first things I did was remove the washing machine and sold it. After getting the boat home I removed the genset and sold it. The boat still has the built-in air-conditioning and refrigerator freezer installed but I don't use either. We didn't miss anything on our roundtrip to Hawaii...its about the journey, not the destination.

To each his own but cruising for me is "to get away from home"...not bring it with me; anchoring out, not go from one dock to the next. I try to follow the KISS way (Keep It Simple Stupid) in this crazy overindulgent world.

Don't use your kids as an excuse for the additional extravagance...after all, they are on a yacht.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:30   #59

I have not thoroughly read all of the replies they just wanted to comment about using vinegar to preserve food. I found it far preferable to freezing and will preserve any meat including fish, beautifully for months. I live on a 37 ft Roberts and purchased a freezer, but I got rid of it when I learned about vinegar. Traditional food preservation as work for Generations. there is also a small foot pedal or hand crank clothes washer which is very effective and uses very little water. Not expensive. No need to add batteries and machinery unless it's really appropriate. Having said that I have of nice washer and dryer on board and would not trade them
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 13:25   #60

Boat: Hartley, South Seas ketch 12m

consider vacuum packing your foods and keep in the fridge. they last much longer than normal. Freezer is an extravagance consider which you would prefer. Washing machine or freezer. washing machine will use a lot of water.

Tags
freezer