Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 06:30   #31

Re: Foreign Country Car Rental Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I am not sure this is completely correct information, but I guess YMMV. In my experience, and I rented cars in Europe a couple dozen times: 3rd party liability is always included. They might use a different term, but at least for big companies it is always there. In places like Italy even CDW is mandatory and included into the price. As far as credit card coverage: it depends. Some only offer secondary coverage, but one need to look for a good ones that offer primary coverage, like Sapphire or United. They are definetely there. But be careful to check conditions: some countries like Ireland (as been mentioned before), Israel and Easterm Europe have there own rules. So I always check with CC and get written conformation. Takes 5 minutes to send email and I simply copy my previous one and change country and dates accordingly. And as someone suggested : Google is your friend. Quick search will show if there are common issues with car insurance in that countty

In Europe liability is built into the standard insurance policy when renting

You might double check , but I have never seen or bought a stand-alone liability car rental policy in Europe
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:51   #32

You are sbsolutely right: it is always included into rental price. Sometimes they spell it out, sometimes dont even mention it, but it is always there. I guess it comes from the principle of mandatory liability insurance: probably illegal to drive a car without one in Europe .

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
In Europe liability is built into the standard insurance policy when renting

You might double check , but I have never seen or bought a stand-alone liability car rental policy in Europe
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:48   #33

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Capital one covered a rental van I totaled in the Bahamas, no hassle whatsoever. Most countries will let you waive coverage if your card covers you. Ireland wanted to see it in writing from you card company. So now I’ve learned to carry that with me.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 22:26   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
I’ve never had an American Express

Looks interesting

https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do

Some countries not covered

Best to ask
And their points don't expire - ever.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:27   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Guys,

Many thanks for all the useful info. I’m still here and paying attention.

HOWEVER. Will be making a passage for the next bit and will be off line for a couple of weeks.

I will deal with all this once back in the states.

My many thanks.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
We rented a car in Ireland this year. US citizens. Paid the insurance. Paid the Northern Ireland fee too.
Interesting roads. Almost like rural Scotland. Or Shetland.

No claims, no regrets. Part of the cost of doing business as they say.

When we went to Shetland we parked our Avis rental at the shopping mall in Aberdeen. Rented a car on island. Saved the ferry fare and hassle for the car and saved the concerns about the roads. Which were actually quite good.
Good advise about the Shetlands. I really want to visit the Shetlands. Something about that place calls to me.

While the roads were narrow, and many times, just one lane, the other drivers were just patient and it really was not a big deal. We were on this one little lane that runs along side Donegal Bay that had bsolutely stunning views when we could see over the hedges. So often we wondered the age of the road we were on. At one point a huge tractor got in front of us. It was not a little itty, bitty Farm All tractor but a big 8000 or 9000 series tractor. We were behind him for 10 minutes or so and glad to be so since he could see OVER the hedges so see oncoming traffic. He pulled over at one point to let us by but we waved him on so we could safely follow.

He eventually got off the road and shortly there after a van blocked the road and motioned for us to pull over. This was a bit odd since the driver was being a bit forceful about us moving off into a driveway. Then we saw why. He was the lead vehicle that was helping a semi trailer drive down the road. That truck driver was GOOD to be driving down that road. VERY GOOD!.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:27   #37

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Take out the minimum cover with the rental company that will leave you with a large excess (deductible) and get an annual Car Hire Excess Policy from

https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-...waAtlHEALw_wcB

Some rental companies will insist on you using their premium cover but this is just a ruse.
no commercial interest just a long term customer.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:27   #38

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have an umbrella insurance policy with worldwide coverage; but, I was concerned if it will provide international automobile coverage. A condition of the policy is $300K of underlying automobile liability coverage which I have on my cars. I asked the agent if I am covered when renting overseas since the "underlying" liability insurance is unclear and perhaps only $50K. He didn't know and it took a week of research in the insurance company to confirm I am covered. I requested a letter confirming this. I suggest you check your insurance too.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance