Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 06:02   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Re: For the Sympathetic Among You: Many Questions from a Passionate Young Landlubber

Hi Peter

You have been given GREAT advice here.

Having lived and worked in some two dozen countries around the world, I can tell you that, "nothing goes to weather like a 747."

And...having had quite a few boats and cruised and lived aboard for some number of years, I can tell you that it is also true that, "boats float on money."

SO...you are young and going to China. Enjoy that experience and sail when and where you can. I have found a lot of sailing clubs in all sorts of tiny spots, all over the world. Most welcome other sailors. Get experience first.

At this point in your life, live as frugally as you can, and save as much as you can. Learn to invest and start a nest egg for your later life. Make a financial plan for yourself. Getting a boat at this point, especially in foreign waters...will just rob you of money.

Finally, if you do want to travel, and earn an income while doing so...I think you have found one of the FEW transferable skills. Teaching English. There is a demand for English teachers in nearly every country in the world. Most, if not all, will pay your way there and your living expenses. Much of my foreign travel was paid for and I can tell you, having an expense account is...VERY NICE.

Then, if you want a job you can do from anywhere you have internet access...I have the best kept secret for you, if you have a Masters degree or above. Teaching online. Since all online universities have entry level ENG courses for their students, there is a high demand for adjunct instructors.

SO:

Save your money.
Have someone else pay for your travel.
Continue in your chosen career of teaching English.
Get a Master's degree.

Then....with some money saved and a graduate degree, you will be able to earn a living, living on your boat, anywhere.

Hope this helps

Best

J
Old 14-06-2013, 12:00   #17

Re: For the Sympathetic Among You: Many Questions from a Passionate Young Landlubber

I am surprised that you expressed so much interest in sailing when you did not even realize there is super sailing only 90 minutes from your location. Lake Diefenbaker is an excellent freshwater lake with a deep water marina and home of the Lake Diefenbaker Yacht Club. My suggestion is to check it out first before you think of going to Asia to find your dream. A number of world cruisers got their start at this great freshwater lake. Good luck!
sksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:40   #18

Boat: Westsail 32
We are new to sailing. Our first boat was a trailer sailor, 27 ft Clipper Marine. We took a course on sailing at local college. Read books on sailing, then got out there on the boat in a couple local fresh water lakes. Made mistakes, learned a lot, and had a blast.

A year later we sold our trailer sailor, left our careers and house, sold a lot of stuff, and now live on a sailboat full-time. We are still learning. We have a ways to go and are enjoying the ride.

I don't have answers to your questions, as we are still learning ourselves, but you already have an interest or idea and that is how you get the ball rolling.

Wish you lots of sunny days and fair winds in your future!
Spicybutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 00:01   #19

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Sounds to me that you're bored silly somewhere in the hinterlands of Canada and wish to see the world and that's okay. Nevertheless I think it is a little bit misguided to think that cruising will cure your wanderlust. Cruising costs money and requires a good measure of sailing knowledge.

Perhaps you should consider strapping on a backpack and tour the world. I just happened to conclude a three week backpacking excursion throughout Costa Rica and can tell you that it was a delightful experience. I'll also mention that I was amazed at all the young and not so young world travellers out there venturing from one country to another. No boat needed. Multiple websites will inform you on how best to do this.

Best of luck to you and remember that when you buy a boat you own it but that it goes both ways in that the boat owns you as well.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote