Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2017, 14:10   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Foam Bed in a Box?

My vberth foam cushions are old and uncomfortable. Since I live aboard 8 months at a stretch, I need a better solution. Foam mattresses are all the rage now, WayFair is advertising a queen size (the Nora) that consists of 7 layers of different foam types that total 12" thick over all. I assume they are laminated so why not template and cut with an electric knife?

I had considered ordering a custom built innerspring, but these foam mattresses seem to getting quick adoption in the market. A queen goes for $600 and comes with a 2 day delivery and 100 day right to return. Granted, you couldn't return it once it was cut, but you could roll it out and try it ashore for suitability and only cut it once your decision was made.

What am I missing?
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:21   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Foam Bed in a Box?

I ordered the multi-layer foam twin mattress linked below (It also comes in queen and king) to use in my van as a camper and have been very pleased with it. I also throw it on a frame to use as a guest bed. I find it as comfortable as my normal home mattress system, and I say this as someone who has shoulder and back problems and is a pit picky about mattresses. I've also cut cut foam mattresses and sewed my own slip covers for them on previous boats for a fraction of the price of professionally cushions.

Memory foam can get stiff in cold temperatures, but I've used this one down to close to freezing with no problems. One can add inexpensive closed cell foam under it if you want a bit more give, and of course you can add a topper as well. (I use a thin memory foam topper on mine)

I've read of many people cutting their own mattresses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:28   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We do it, and i make a mattress cover to fit, out of whatever fabric I want to use. It is all logic, and straight seams. I make zippers around about 3/4 of it, because it is much easier to remove the cover for laundering, and zipper material is cheap. Do not use sheet material, it is too light weight--I was not happy with it.

Ann
Old 26-10-2017, 14:41   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Check out Foamfactory.com.. Our bed and all our cushions are built from foam bought from them. We have been sleeping on our bed for 2 years now and it had held up wonderfully.

They are quite a bit cheaper than the foam mattress companies and you can build what you want (however they will sell you any size). We bought the LUX foam as we prefer firm beds and cushions..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:50   #5

Boat: Pearson 365

Thanks for the replies everybody. Getting a new V berth mattress is a declaration of optimism (see other thread "single men living aboard and cruising thread-an honest look" thread). If you build it they will come.
How do you manage condensation with the foam? I live aboard in New England
Jim
S/v WalkAbout
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 15:52   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For condensation, some folks use the Froli system, others will drill a gridded pattern of holes in the bunktop using a hole saw. And then possibly add small computer fans to the bunk fronts, to extract the moist air that's pushed through the mattress.

Good ventillation is a huge component of this, such as solar powered mushroom ventillators, the type with built in batteries, to remove the damp air from the boat 24/7. Also you'll want to insulate the boat well, including doing a thermal scan of her on a cold, windy day, to look for heat leaks. Plus, plenty of dry heat, such as a diesel stove helps. As do dehumidifiers.

Read the below article from wrwakefield's excellent blog. They live in SE Alaska, & thus are more than a little familiar with moisture issues onboard. Plus their blog has some really great info (along with some really funny s**t)!!!
Denali Rose: Bedding considerations in cooler climates...

EDIT: Most berths are designed with a 4" mattress in mind, from an ergonomic & room in the berth standpoint. So switching to one which is significantly thicker can take huge chunks out of the liveability of a bunk. Particularly vertically. Ergo 12" is probably more than overkill, by quite a bit.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:01   #7

I did a mattress like that in 2010. Mine was only something like $329. I cut it with an electric knife to fit the V. The cut wasnt pretty though! But covered up fine!
Some kind of grating like Dri Dek squares is good underneath to reduce condensation. But do everything you can including ventilation as the wet builds up big time up north. On the boat in my avatar I cored 1" holes in the plywood v berth deck... a bunch of them and put the Dri Dek over that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:10   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well then... on the boat we did all the research, used 5cm firm foam with a 2cm soft layer on top for comfort, then had fitted covers made with velcro for easy removal (zips just break and stick). That worked well.

But now we're in a campervan (it was a builders van when we bought it in August), I just ordered regular medium foam, 5cm thick. Made loose covers with open ends (they just tuck in to themselves at the ends)... cost 60 quid... and do you know what? They're just as good.

At the end of the day, the most important aspect is having a good smooth base to put it all on!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:16   #9
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
At the end of the day, the most important aspect is having a good smooth base to put it all on!
Yes, a single overlooked pea can cause all kinds of grief
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:19   #10

Boat: Seaward 22

I've bought 3 of these for different bedrooms. So far, Tuft and Needle is the family favorite. Can't say about it's longevity yet. It was pretty cheap. It's pretty soft, but like floating on a cloud.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 17:02   #11

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Check out Foamfactory.com.. Our bed and all our cushions are built from foam bought from them. ....
That links to an architectural foam company. I think the bed company is at thefoamfactory.com.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 17:25   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
That links to an architectural foam company. I think the bed company is at thefoamfactory.com.

We got all our foam from them too. Very good stuff for the cheapest price I could find.

Matt
Old 26-10-2017, 18:01   #13

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Yup.. Thank you for fixing that..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 19:00   #14

I've used Foambymail.com with several boats. I buy layers and cut to size. I'm sure there's other places to buy the same foam. Foam isn't rocket science.

1. 4" of high quality medium firm (ILD 36) regular foam on the bottom (their HD36-HQ)

2. 2"-3" of medium latex (ILD 29). I also don't like memory foam if there isn't air conditioning. It is supposed to "mold" to your body. Not what I want in hot sticky weather.

3. An 2" eggcrate topper of their Lux-HQ foam (ILD 50). This is very firm foam but after it is cut into an egg crate it's quite soft. Again, the eggcrate shape seems to stay cooler because the bumps increase air flow (or at least I imagine they do). You might just try getting this layer first and see if your old berths feel better.

The nice thing is that if the mix isn't right, you just change one layer and try again. We also consider the topper as sacrificial (queen is $68) so don't use any mattress pad to protect it. Just a sheet.

I don't glue the layers together. I just put a bottom sheet over the stack. They don't slide especially as the side of the berth has a lip - unlike a home bed. Cuts fine with scissors or a box cutter.

The Froli is a great system but I prefer a slat system from Ikea. Cheaper and the bent beachwood slats have a great feel. Either gives air circulation that helps the foam dry from all the moisture that comes off a human body on a warm night. Removes the risk of mildew. You can adjust the Ikea for different weights between you and your friend. I trim the wood slats to fit the berth with a handsaw. You can even make sections removable to reach under berth storage.

LÖNSET Slatted bed base - Queen - IKEA
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 19:37   #15

Boat: Tartan 37

We did the same, but went with 10" and it sleeps great. I would not go 12", actually I think 8" would be better. Make sure you get USA made foam. The Chinese stuff stinks. We only paid about $350 for a Cal King, fit the Vberth well. The big mattress make it hard to get into the bunk and tough to get in the storage underneath. Real bear.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed