Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2020, 12:15   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Fleeing Pestilence.... flight of fancy... or rather voyage of fancy

It seems some of our members do not follow the rules. Some are pretty rude to others.

Maybe this thread is better off closed.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 13:16   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We will give one more chance to this thread.
Next political post goes straight to a strike or a temp ban.

We have to enforce the rules.
Old 15-03-2020, 13:19   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please! follow CF rules..

Old 15-03-2020, 13:21   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Dont believe the press. Some tell the truth but in my observation, not really.

Thanks and best wishes to you and the other front-line medical workers who are shouldering this burden.

Do you have any suggestions for better sources of impartial and useful information about this pandemic?
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 13:27   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Do you have any suggestions for better sources of impartial and useful information about this pandemic?
No.

this is about as accurate as I have seen. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 15-03-2020, 13:30   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The mod team has no interest or wish to close threads unless Spam or designed for trouble.

This is a private website. The owners do not want the trouble of political partisanship, and while we will allow pertinent non biased political comments, we have to draw the line somewhere.

We have to shut the poster down and we have to consider removing them if it continues.

Please carry on.
Old 15-03-2020, 14:14   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks Weavis . We did have a good thing going, until...

My take on this topic and thread is to look at how we can all make our boats more independent, and self-reliant. You don't need to be fleeing zombies or viruses to make this a worthwhile effort.

Back to Sailing the Farm, which I really do encourage everyone to go out and buy or borrow, reading this inspired me to start sprouting on board. As with most things, there's no rocket science here, and there are lots of ways to do it successfully.

I use this nice stackable set of trays, which makes it very easy to manage in a small space. It's great because it's easy to stagger-start each tray such that it matches your crew's consumption rate. So you always have a new, fresh batch ready to go.

Old 15-03-2020, 14:38   #53

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

My take on this topic and thread is to look at how we can all make our boats more independent, and self-reliant. You don't need to be fleeing zombies or viruses to make this a worthwhile effort.

Back to Sailing the Farm, which I really do encourage everyone to go out and buy or borrow, reading this inspired me to start sprouting on board. As with most things, there's no rocket science here, and there are lots of ways to do it successfully.

I use this nice stackable set of trays, which makes it very easy to manage in a small space. It's great because it's easy to stagger-start each tray such that it matches your crew's consumption rate. So you always have a new, fresh batch ready to go.

The sprouts idea is a great one in my experience, I've done this a lot already and feel it's the least difficult, compared to hydroponic.
I feel one doesn't need to grow a full sized bean bush or radishes or broccoli plant when the sprouts give you as much nutrition, many are even better in sprout form.
Glass jars are the norm, any well draining tray and care will do fine.
Thanks for mentioning this.
And thanks for the second opportunity Moderator.
We're interested in Sharing positive info.
Some may disagree.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 14:48   #54

Quote:

I have virtually the identical setup on my kitchen table growing sprouts right now. Mine has an additional top tray not shown in your photo that has perforations to gradually drip the water into the next and on down. Each has a series of concentric grooves. My only issue with sprouting is the huge amount of seed for what the yield is. There are all sorts of raves about how wonderful sprouts are......... I like them and use them a lot. They consist of seeds and water.......... and whatever those seeds are able to convert their content into without any other input except for some minimal photosynthesis.

I "discovered" "perpetual spinach" after being frustrated with spinach plants bolting so quickly.... It is just a variety of Swiss Chard that resembles spinach very closely in appearance, nutrition and flavor. An excellent product. I also grow arugula, butter lettuce, and kale........ All of those hydroponically, as well as various herbs.

My latest project is dwarf tomatoes. The tomatoes are normal size... though I chose cherry tomatoes because they are generally more flavorful, but they have them in full size also. The plants are dwarf, and only grow about a foot tall. They are determinate, so they only yield once. I'm eager to see how they do..... They are just starting. I start them in a container of soil, then carefully lift them out and sandwich them into a piece of rock wool as deep as necessary to allow the root to trail down into the hydroponic solution. I use those twist top rectangular containers similar to what construction screws come in, and I use Jacks solution. The containers are wrapped in foil so the liquid will not grow algae. The lids are cut out to receive 2" net pots. I've used totes with multiple net pots in them, but found that I get better yield if each plant has it's own reservoir....I suspect that they produce toxins to reduce competition or something. One plant to a container, no circulation at all... I just replenish the solution as the plant drinks it down. My main grow chamber measures 40" by 28" and has 8 20" T5 grow lights. I have another smaller chamber that uses a circular LED fixture with a lot of red and blue LEDs.. the light is only about 12" across. I can't tell if one is any better than the other........ they both yield well, but I'm only using the one at the moment. Last summer virtually my whole garden was hydroponic. I found I got better results when I collected and used rain water rather than my well water...With my well water I get drop out of some mineral.... I don't know which one. It would be interesting to see what results one would get using watermaker water,.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 14:57   #55

Making our boats more independent is a very important point, particularly when voyaging. To me probably the single most important thing is a watermaker. Many places one would travel to have questionable water or limited water.. Think for example of the Taumotus....... coral atolls with no real water source except for a fresh water lens, and cisterns. A watermaker means you can drink the water without having to put chemicals in it or worrying about toxic substances like lead.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 15:09   #56

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:

I'm no sewer,
I'd hope not. A sewer is a pipe full of sh*t.
I think the word you were looking for is seamster.
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 15:18   #57

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Making our boats more independent is a very important point, particularly when voyaging. To me probably the single most important thing is a watermaker. Many places one would travel to have questionable water or limited water.. Think for example of the Taumotus....... coral atolls with no real water source except for a fresh water lens, and cisterns. A watermaker means you can drink the water without having to put chemicals in it or worrying about toxic substances like lead.

H.W.
Or decent sized water tankage
We carry 5 tonne of water with ability to collect rain (took on over a tonne in 24 hours last week) We can and have gone 9mths+ between tap fills.

Of course you need a sizeable vessel to do that.

Added bonus is increased comfort level, so no need to escape the boat
and ability to carry and store several mths worth of provisions so no real need to go ashore
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 15:22   #58
cruiser

Yipee... Thanks so much weavis for opening the thread back up!

I am very much interested in doing the sprouts. That is a great stackable set of trays. I will have to start testing those out.

The subsistence lifestyle seems to be very doable. Even the growing times for cukes and other veggies is pretty fast. I don't see really how much on shore provisioning would be needed if a person followed most of the "Sail the Farm" tips

Are there any portions of the book that folks may feel are impractical? From an amateurs perspective this book to me is like the holy grail.

I figured stocking up on flour was a good idea.. but I am super keen now on the idea of milling it as needed.

Coconut oil lamps!! how awesome is that. Even if I were given a nice bankroll I wouldn't want to live any other lifestyle.
I especially appreciate the tips on barter that are provided in the book... fish hooks,..making nylon nets.. It is loaded with all kinds of ideas to sustain in a responsible meaningful way. Do many of you barter for food stuffs while out or for gear? What else do you find to be good trade items?

So many threads make it seem as if the adventure is not doable without an expensive modern vessel without all the bells and whistles. It is exciting that all I need is sturdy lil vessel with simple systems armed with knowledge.

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. It is nice to see folks enjoying a subsistence lifestyle on the sea.

I did see a youtube channel "Another Adventure" having a chicken on board for eggs.
This young lady is making it in a minimal fashion with hardly any fancy gear and luxury. I find those stories to be the most inspirational. It did seem a little cruel to keep that poor hen in a tiny cage hanging off the edge of the boat all by itself.
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 15:35   #59

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Sailing the farm

Thanks for that, downloaded and looking.
We do our own bread, yoghurt, sourkraut , adult beverages and some form of greenery has been on the cards for a while.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 16:00   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Sailing the farm

Thanks for that, downloaded and looking.
We do our own bread, yoghurt, sourkraut , adult beverages and some form of greenery has been on the cards for a while.

I am surprised how versatile powder milk is. Have you used it to make the yogurt?

With all the current corona schmorona I went to buy some powder milk. It of course was all gone. Only thing left untouched on the shelf was powder GOAT milk...lol.. I did buy a canister...super expensive.

Do many folks use powder milk while at sea or at home over standard jug milk?
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc