Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2020, 09:05   #31

Re: Fleeing Pestilence.... flight of fancy... or rather voyage of fancy

An interesting study from the Sun Yat Sen University in China suggests that summer will indeed slow transmission of corona virus. It's life expectancy on surfaces exposed to heat and sun will be reduced, reducing one mode of transmission. This will not address the issue of aerosols from sneezing and coughing significantly, as the virus will easily remain viable during the time these are airborne. In warmer weather, people will not be congregated so densely in indoor spaces, which will also help. Maps of the major outbreaks show them all within a fairly narrow temperate climate band, very little in tropica or northern areas.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 09:27   #32

Boat: Baba 40

>> Second is whinging lefties. Every time that someone they don't like is elected they go on a rampage of whining and dummy spitting.<

Yeah, I remember how well Obama was welcomed.

Save your rants for your conspiracy friends.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 09:31   #33

Somebody asked how you dry beer.......... You don't. Though I designed (on paper) a machine to freeze dry beer.... just for fun. I've been a home brewer since my teens. I recently quit brewing after brewing many hundreds of batches of beer. You just brew it on board. I don't like brewing with dry malt extract....... though I started many years ago with liquid extract and dry extract.......But you can make excellent beer from it, and there is absolutely no reason why you cannot make a "sea swing" fermenter. DME doesn't weigh much or take up a lot of space. Nothing I know of that you can grow aboard (realistically) or harvest from the sea is suitable for brewing. Carbs are one thing that are not in abundance at sea... or so it would seem. Brewing itself is stupid easy.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 09:56   #34

Quarantine diary...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89658793_3185860228127310_8208152084315373568_o.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	210626  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:18   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
Right on Raymond! My wife is looking at the newspaper where folks in the Bay Area are lined up outside of Costco waiting to buy TP and bottled water.
The airwaves and print media are constantly besieging us with 1 or 2 folks passing away as it was "The Andromeda Strain". Politicians and bureaucrats are blithely canceling whatever with no regard to the financial hits taken by hourly, service and small business folks. The politicians and bureaucrats are still receiving their pay but the "small" folks are worrying about paying bills.

I am ashamed of America. We were the ones that adapt, just do it and work together to get through the bad times. Not always pretty but we came together. Not anymore, we are wusses and whiners of the first order.

Instead of thinking up ways to survive in the Pacific let's take back the government of every level from career politicians, bureaucrats, and Wall Street. Revolution is the only solution or we will be eating kelp and robbing homes of TP and bottled water.

Vote in November.
Not sure what you are talking about. I'm a teacher in LA and I have been working in a potential Petri dish for the last month. I don't think there is any measure we can take that is too extreme at this point, as bad as that sounds. A 2 week staycation is a start at flattening the curve. And more importantly for people like me who are over 60, there really looks like no safe plan until there is effective treatment. Researchers, not whiners, have found that folks with no symptoms can be, and most likely are, vectors for the disease. Hence, eventually we will all be exposed to it. Some of the "wusses" are just trying to ensure that not everyone shows up at the hospital at once, which would really exacerbate the crisis.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:19   #36

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Quarantine diary...
New drink: The Quantini

A martini of your choice made by you alone and drunk alone.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:32   #37

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Not sure what you are talking about. I'm a teacher in LA and I have been working in a potential Petri dish for the last month. I don't think there is any measure we can take that are too extreme at this point, as bad as that sounds. A 2 week staycation is a start at flattening the curve. And more importantly for people like me who are over 60, there really looks like no safe plan until there is effective treatment. Researchers, not whiners, have found that folks with no symptoms can be, and most likely are, vectors for the disease. Hence, eventually we will all be exposed to it. Some of the "wusses" are just trying to ensure that not everyone shows up at the hospital at once, which would really exacerbate the crisis.
Thanks for the reply. I am 72 and this is not the Black Plaque but a nasty virus that severely impacts elderly folks with respiratory and immune issues. The great majority of folks that have passed away were over 80. At the current time I do not believe one thing that the Media puts out (including Fox) and am not relying on the government (especially California) to tell me what is appropriate or not.

Just different perspectives. Stay well.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:36   #38

Quote:
Vote in November.

For whom?

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:37   #39

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am 72 and this is not the Black Plaque but a nasty virus that severely impacts elderly folks with respiratory and immune issues. The great majority of folks that have passed away were over 80. At the current time I do not believe one thing that the Media puts out (including Fox) and am not relying on the government (especially California) to tell me what is appropriate or not.

Just different perspectives. Stay well.
Some perspectives are more enabling of disease transmission than others. I really hope you stay well too, but we are not even close to seeing the peak of this yet so it is very premature to make conclusions about who is going to die or not.
I agree, don't listen to TV commentators, but media is the only way we all can hear from the doctors and researchers who DO KNOW what is going on and what the best actions are.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:50   #40

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Farm the Sail, sounds like a good Winter read here in new england, usa, so will go buy it...used to make bread in college to take out frustrations...all that kneading and pounding....let it rise...knead & pound again...of course that was based on taking the N-Judah car to the supermarket to pick up flour, yeast, etc...can't say i have the time/motivation to go from growing my own grain/vegetables/fruit and then preserving them (canning/drying/??). My 2 wk trips on the boat are fueled with 80% highly processed foods (4xsodium,2xsugar) 10% vegetables/meats, 10%frosty beverages (well, actually just beverages as the ice died by day4 - but scotch at room temp okay).I have too many boat related projects now w/o adding foodstuffs, but admire those of you who do...regarding our "friend" COVID19, Fauci of NIH noted (before congress) that flu mortality rate is 0.1% and COVID19 est at 1.0%,so this "bug" shouldnt be underestimating, altho we are still learning given its a new virus, but just read a quote from him stating, "...we should be prepared to honker down for awhile..." the awhile as yet not quantified...Thankfully young people are at lower risk than we old farts (I'm > 65 yo) and public health services (CDC here in the USA) are best source for latest/greatest info...although if you can access it the New England Journal of Medicine now has a COVID19 page w/ continual updates. I dont get what i would characterize as "over-prepping" what with TP, purell, & other stuff being bought out in hours...frankly I've been looking at a new laptop...figure might be time for a deal...AND the boat's on the hard til May anyway...stay healthy and avoid the pestilence...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:30   #41

Boat: Currently boatless

Movie: Contagion, 2011, Netflix.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:31   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Here is the deal. This is cruisers forum, not a space for political leanings and vents.
We will just delete the politics. 2 such posts from the member will result in a strike.

You have all been here long enough to know the rules, and if you dont, go and read them NOW.

There is enough turmoil in the world without adding to it.

I'm currently working in a hospital filling daily with people with the current infection. I come to CF for a rest from one difficult part of real life, to learn how to dehydrate food and other useful bits and bobs.

Stop with the blame game, the misinformation and the panic. You have an 80% + chance of just a mild dose.......... the other 20% it will be a little tougher but most will recover. Some will not. That is life.

Dont believe the press. Some tell the truth but in my observation, not really.

Stop being "that guy" and spreading rumour and innuendo. YOU DONT KNOW-and we don't know either... I get a day off tomorrow after 130-hour workweek. All my colleagues are in the same boat. We are doing our best.

Mistakes are always made, add politics and it becomes a cluster.

Things will get better in the Summer and virus being a virus, will not functions as well.

There is nothing you can do except to maintain good hygiene and a positivity.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:58   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

We have started removing posts for political content.

READ THE RULES
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 12:01   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to PADISail

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
There are such deep divisions among us that politics should never enter into one of these threads
Agreed...
But lets also not have any more "sneak attacks".
PADISail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 12:12   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to PADISail

I particularly liked the idea someone had about feeding chickens Sea greens and producing eggs.
If the cages were mounted on railings, like a BBQ, would the CS falling into the Ocean help the greens grow, or is that the wrong fertilizer that one would want to collect for growing a different crop on-board ?

Quite a mental image... A sailboat with chicken cages mounted to the rails.
Mounted elsewhere ?
PADISail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc