Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2022, 08:36   #1

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
FL Drivers License - St Brendan's Isle

So, back in the day we used St Brendan's Isle for mail forwarding while cruising full time. But, we also were able to get a FL drivers license using the Green Cove Springs address, and register to vote (absentee) as well, using the GCP address.

Now, getting ready to go back to full time cruising, the people at SBI say you can not (no longer?) get a driver's license using their mailing address.

Is this really the case? Can't I just walk into any DMV in Florida, show them 2 bills with my Green Cove Springs address and plonk them down with my CA drivers license?

I know there are other SBI customers here, how do you guys handle this issue? I suppose I can keep my California drivers license for a few years till it expires, but once it does I am screwed.

Advice? Tips? Tricks?

Thanks!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 12:05   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: FL Drivers License - St Brendan's Isle

Why do you need a drivers license? Can you not get a state issued ID that isn’t from DMV? I assume you want the DL/ID to establish other relationships with banks etc?
Old 28-11-2022, 12:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Why do you need a drivers license? Can you not get a state issued ID that isn’t from DMV? I assume you want the DL/ID to establish other relationships with banks etc?
Sorry if I was not clear, will be leaving the US for extended period of time, want to be able to drive a car, occasionally. So, I need a driver's license. Currently I am a CA resident and have a DL from that state, but it will expire soon and if I have no address in CA I will not be able to renew it.

Because... I am changing my legal address to a mail forwarding service in Florida (if you are not familiar with St Brendan's Isle you can find them online and read about the services they provide). So, The easiest thing for me would be to have my driver's license use that address, since it is [will be soon] my legal address and my only address in the USA, or anywhere for that matter.

That is my goal. This way, in 4 years time when I need to renew the license, I will have a way to do so. I suppose one could also use a friend or relative's address for this purpose, but people move and then I am back in the same boat.

Therefore I am looking for other cruisers who use SBI and have faced this problem before, so I might learn how they surmounted it.

Thanks!
Old 28-11-2022, 12:38   #4

Yep reasonably familiar with SBI. Don’t use it yet but have been looking at it as I will be in a similar boat next year. So did you recently TALK to someone from there about the DL? I was just reading their process from their website and some other online chatter that implies you can still do it but that your DL won’t have their box number but rather your boat registration number.
Old 28-11-2022, 12:48   #5

I'm a SBI " client"?

I've been for a couple years,
I've got a Florida driver's license
Walked into SBI and got all the paperwork then took it around the corner to the driver's license office and changed it all over as well as the address on the vessel.

Drivers license shows Florida boat registration number for address.
In Florida,you don't have to have a physical address appearing on your license,but you need a physical address " on record" with the state to send their renewal and other state of Florida related stuff.
Incidentally, I've been living in Florida for decades prior to moving to "411Walnut St." Along with several thousand others!
JoetheCobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 12:50   #6

They (SBI) also have a website and fbook page, if you'd like to hear from others doing the same thing you're asking about
Old 28-11-2022, 12:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheCobbler View Post
I'm a SBI " client"?

I've been for a couple years,
I've got a Florida driver's license
Walked into SBI and got all the paperwork then took it around the corner to the driver's license office and changed it all over as well as the address on the vessel.

Drivers license shows Florida boat registration number for address.
In Florida,you don't have to have a physical address appearing on your license,but you need a physical address " on record" with the state to send their renewal and other state of Florida related stuff.
Incidentally, I've been living in Florida for decades prior to moving to "411Walnut St." Along with several thousand others!
So with the boat Reg. NUmber going on the DL I guess you have to complete that process with the boat transfer before starting the SBI process. Or just before the DL application?
Old 28-11-2022, 13:15   #8

Well, I did it all at once.
I renewed my DL and my boat registration and changed my address at the same time.
After I signed up with SBI, because SBI gives you your New physical address example - 421 walnut St 12346 , green cove springs FL.
Then take yourself to the license and registration country building, literally around the corner and change your license and registration and titles also.
They're familiar with it at SBI.
Old 28-11-2022, 13:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It's possible due to several "election integrity" measures its more difficult these days.

I'm aware that atleast in some counties you can declare a "homeless" classification on a driver's license.
Old 28-11-2022, 13:23   #10

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have been using SBI for about 10 years. It is true you can no longer use the SBI address on your drivers license; instead, the DMV puts your boat registration number on it. With that said, while my wife went in to get a new DL they forced that change, I simply went online and renewed at the state level and they sent me my new drivers license with the old address.

SBI has an agreement with a local marina that assigns you a virtual slip for voting purposes. So what is shown on your drivers license does not match your voter registration address. This has its complications - I was almost unable to vote last time because the worker who was checking ID's and voter registrations had not been trained on the SBI situation.

I've heard that you can also use this address for financial account reasons but I have not had to do so and I cannot comment on that.

I've loved SBI but its getting expensive and I simply do not get enough mail to warrant the hundreds of dollars I spend on it every year.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 13:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Out of curiosity, is that the only information in the address section or does it also include the city and zip of your registration?
Old 28-11-2022, 14:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
So did you recently TALK to someone from there about the DL? I was just reading their process from their website and some other online chatter that implies you can still do it but that your DL won’t have their box number but rather your boat registration number.
What I wrote was "... the people at SBI say you can not (no longer?) get a driver's license using their mailing address" - so yes, spoke to actual people.

And they mentioned about the boat registration option, but I am unclear why I should have to register my boat with any state gov't when it is a USCG Documented Vessel.

Also, it is my understanding that registering the boat in the state opens me up to a big tax bill assessed on the value of the vessel. And, I am unclear if this tax is assessed annually, or is a one-time thing.
Old 28-11-2022, 14:09   #13

The address shown on your DL is your Florida registration number, green cove springs, FL.32043
The address you give to your bank and the state of Florida is the physical address for SBI which is 411 walnut St,and the address number they provided.
It's all legit and doesn't limit as NY lawful activities such as voting.
And it starts at about $12-15 a month US.
You can even get a business address if t choose.
Everything can be done by mail/ online or phone with SBI, but you will have to go in person to the county offices to change your license, registration,titles,and if you choose to, declare yourself as a " live aboard" they will guide you through it.
Believe me,you won't be the first.
The advantages to me are, I have properties up and down the east coast and travel a lot for business and pleasure, when I sell a house/ property I don't have to keep changing my contact information for every other government agency and bank,I just use the Florida address,it never changes.
Old 28-11-2022, 14:10   #14
Marine Service Provider

Almost every state requires registration in addition to documentation if in that state for more than 90 days. This is generally pretty well enforced especially in Florida.

If you move to Florida and bring your boat you don't pay tax if it's been registered in another state for 6 months. Also it's a one time tax not a yearly asset tax. Also many cruising boats are eligible for the currently very low cost antique boat registration. (Original engine requirement being selectively enforced)
Old 28-11-2022, 14:15   #15

You're not required to register your documented vessel in Florida. But you will pay the tax for the vessel, it's the same as the registration fees, annual. If your vessel is over 25-30 years old,you can state register it in Florida for $4.25 a year as an antique,and even get a fancy sticker!

Also, no income tax in Florida.
If you've payed sales tax on your vessel already in your current state,and owned it for over 6months,or a year can't remember, you'll be clear from any taxes from Florida.
And if it's federal documentation,no title fees,no title.

Tags
license