Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 16:23   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Fitted Sheets

Just got a quote for 150.00 to make fitted sheets ( we supply the sheets ). Omdb will I pay that price, but I can barely sew a button. Can you all give me an idea of the easiest way to form our rectangular sheets to out vberth. Are you using bungee?
Thanks ,
Erika
Old 26-04-2011, 16:33   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Fitted sheets

Sewing machines that will handle light cloth such as sheets are all over the place and cheap. There are several books, you-tubes, and such on how to make them. A few years ago, I purchased a SailRite sewing machine and with absolutely no sewing experience I recovered all the cushions in the salon of the boat. It turned out great. On the downside, my wife has decided that she wants different material and I get to do the job again. ......sigh.....

The point is, an inexpensive sewing machine, either new or used and some type of guide such as a book or video and you're good to go. If a clutzy guy like me can do it then it should be a piece of cake for you. After all, we all know the inherent talent that you ladies have.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 16:45   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Every sailor can sew.

For a functional but rough job, lay a large sheet over the mattress and mark about 12 inches past the edge. Sew (hand sew if you must) a turned hem all the way around, and then thread in a drawstring. It can work better to adjust the string at both the head and foot.

Since most boat mattresses are rather thin compared to home mattresses, this actually looks pretty good. All the ugly stitching is hidden underneath. I've used this method many times for odd sizes, though I admit I used a machine. But you don't have to be any good.
Old 26-04-2011, 17:14   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

ok, in a nut shell, you fit sheets to a v berth mattress by making a pocket at the foot of the bed to hold the sheet down.

The longer explanation;

You need a sewing machine that can straight stitch, a pair of scissors, a pencil and some pins.

1 Start with a bare mattress.

2 Put the sheet on the mattress so that the wide end of the triangle (aft end) has the sheet stretched smooth and the fitted sheet corners well over the mattress corners.

3 Now smooth the bottom sheet out to the end of the berth, as far as it will go. Smooth it out to each side so that it's as flat as you can make it. neatness counts and will result in a better finished product. Mark the edge of the sheet along the sides and cut the 2 extra corners off.

4 You will be left with an odd triangular sheet with a corner at one point.

5 Fit the corner over the foot of the mattress and smooth up to cover the bottom edge of the top piece. Mark across and down the side on the bottom piece and trim.

6 put both pieces on the mattress and smooth them out then pin them together as best you can on the mattress without actually pinning them to the mattress (tricky). Remove, mark along the pinned line and match the sides face together and seam along the edges along the pinned line.

The top sheet is easier. Fold it in half and stitch up a few feet along the side starting from the bottom edge of the sheet. Open it up and slide the pocket you have made over the foot of the mattress and the top sheet will stay tucked in and not create a lot of bulk under the foot of the mattress. This works with blankets as well, although for bulky ones trim the blanket and add sheeting to make the pocket.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 17:27   #5

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Glad OceanGirl posted this...I remember one of your earlier posts Sarafina regarding this subject and after our latest seven day cruise with our sheets sliding all over the v-berth because we have ultra leather on the cushions I was recapping your older post in my mind...

Now you have posted illustrations!!! Yay! Thanks so much ...definitely my next project!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 17:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah I HATE wrinkly sheets!!

Depending on the sheets and mattress there can be some challenges, like when the fitted sheet has elastic all the way around. they work great but there are a few extra steps to deal with the elastic.

Happy to help people figure out the details ; -)

Old 26-04-2011, 18:35   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Geez, I'm a guy and Sarafina's post even made me excited. What does that mean?

I'd love to pass this on to my better half but unfortunately I sew better then she does. Good info - thanks.
Old 26-04-2011, 18:42   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
The point is, an inexpensive sewing machine, either new or used and some type of guide such as a book or video and you're good to go. If a clutzy guy like me can do it then it should be a piece of cake for you. After all, we all know the inherent talent that you ladies have.

Rich
Great point Rich.. this really is not rocket science. Borrow a friemd smachine if you haven't got one and have at it. the worst you can do is mess up a sheet. Take an old one and practice!

You can do a mattress pad as well.

Old 27-04-2011, 06:34   #9

Re: Fitted Sheets

Brian and i will try sewing our older flannel sheet before we cut up the good thread count stuff. Thanks for all the help.
Erika
Old 27-04-2011, 07:04   #10

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

i just recently purchased some fitted bed linen for my aft cabins and they cost me a fortune some like £550 odd pounds for 4xfitted sheets 4xfitted mattress protector and 2x shaped light weight duvet and duvet cover i got them from a uk company i supplied all the exact measurements of mattress but on recieving them they where only 85% right so if your going to do them your self you are more than likely to get them right and save a fortune
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:50   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got tricky recently and took the comforter, which was annoyingly bunched up at the foot of the berth, and did the fitting trick on it, turning it into a triangle with about a foot of over hang on each side to account for the 'lump up over the body' factor.

I modified the duvet cover to fit it and made the bottom like an old school sandwich bag so that when the berth was all made up the pocket flipped over and under the foot of the mattress.

Man... SWEET. It was so comfy and this morning I made the bed up by just grabbing the sheet and duvet and pulling it up taut to the aft head of the mattress and then folding it back a bit and stacking the pillows on each side.

Old 24-08-2011, 06:10   #12

Still doing the tuck-n-lump method, but plan on doing it......me and sewing, dangnabbit it will happen!

E
Old 25-08-2011, 10:02   #13

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I can barely sew a button. Can you all give me an idea of the easiest way to form our rectangular sheets to out vberth.
There should be a Jo-Ann Fabrics near you. They'll have sewing classes that are very cheap.

Class schedule for Webster Texas

You can buy a sewing machine off of Ebay for under $50. Practice on cheap Walmart sheets until you get it down.

Total investment would probably be about that 165 price and when you're done you'll have a valuable boat skill.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
There should be a Jo-Ann Fabrics near you. They'll have sewing classes that are very cheap.

Class schedule for Webster Texas

You can buy a sewing machine off of Ebay for under $50. Practice on cheap Walmart sheets until you get it down.

Total investment would probably be about that 165 price and when you're done you'll have a valuable boat skill.

You are so right, especially cruising. I'll do it! Mark my words, before this month, uh er, year is done I will be sewing!
E
Old 28-08-2011, 12:24   #15
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If the vee end is pretty pointy, e.g. not more than about 2 feet across, bring ends of the sheet together and tie a knot. Draw tight over the mattress and tuck in at the top end. If you can get to a sewing machine, you might also stretch and sew elastic just enough to keep it from pulling out at the bottom.