Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 15:48   #16

Boat: Fastback 43
Re: Fishing in the Chesapeake

Great information! We have the Maryland boat license, and I know that visitors need to register. I now have a medium and a light pole, and some of the great suggested. We'll be trying it out soon. Thanks for the help! You guys are great!

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bix85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 16:07   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Fishing in the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Your situation will be different, but we troll 16 lines using a thing called planer boards (instead of our outriggers) and 80' tether lines on each to spread the lines out further. We troll at approx 2.5 knots, no more than 3 kts. Lures are spread at various distances out from the boat, and further behind the boat... which in turn means they're running at different depths. Much of our catch comes from the top third of the water column, even when we're fishing in deep water (higher water is warmer). We often look for ledges or sharp contours where water temp differences might occur, or where current might swirl slightly differently, holding fish that might be looking for bait in those situations.

We are not classed as "fishing vessels" per COLREGS, so have no special privileges... but for other sailors in the Chesapeake who might be unused to seeing this, I'll just mention that means we have a functional beam of about 150' -- and we can't turn sharply, slow down, or even speed up -- so any space you can give us while passing will be much appreciated. Some of the local charters use up to 125' tethers, so their functional beam would be about 200'... and some of those Captains can be quite testy.

-Chris
(USCG license, MD Fishing Guide, etc etc etc.... but not chartering)
This is a standard rig on the Great Lakes for lake trout & king salmon. Not a big deal for the rest of us to avoid but some of these Bozos pull this rig in the main channels, two or more boats abreast. Some also drag down-rigger balls, flat lines, lead lines and dipsey divers. I will yield these guys any space they need on the lake but not an inch in the channels. CG regs are clear. They are not 'fishing' under the rules of the road. They are only motorized recreational vessels - obstructing the nav-channel.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing