Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19   #1

First timer looking for liveaboard for New England

Hello,
I've decided to purchase a liveaboard to live on year round in the Southeastern CT area and I would very much appreciate some advice.

I grew up on the water but my knowledge of powerboats and sailboats are limited.

Recently, I entertained the thought of purchasing this houseboat:
(Used 1988 Holiday Mansion Aft Cabin Barracuda, CT - 101837682 - BoatTrader.com)

However, the photos on the site are misleading. I don’t believe it’s the same boat, or if it is, then those photos were taken several years ago and since have neglected the boat.

I spoke to a friend who races sailboats. He suggested a broker and I have since contacted several local brokers to help me find something I’m looking for.

I’m open to all suggestions. I like the idea of having the room provided in the houseboat mentioned above, but I also like the idea of living on a liveaboard sailboat so I can potentially race it during race season or at the very least increase my sailing skills. There is also the added benefit of being of being able to travel to Block/Fisher’s Island or Long Island on very little to no gas. I’m afraid that the boat mentioned above will be very expensive when it comes to moving.

So, any recommendations out there? Power boat vs. sailboat? I also have to be concerned about heating because I plan on living on it year round.

Additionally, storage is necessary. My job requires me to wear a suit every day, so I would need a place to store them; however, that is not particularly necessary as I will be docking my boat close to my parents and could leave a lot of stuff there.

Thanks!
lthebmanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 20:09   #2

Re: First timer looking for liveaboard for New England

I want to join this thread. I'll be a first time liveaboard out of Long Island starting Summer 2013. I grew up on the water, the son of a LI bayman, I have experience navigating, rigging, fixing, and most of all RESPECTING the dangers of the sea.

With that said, I'm in the market for a 30-36 footer monohull, ready to cruise the coast for a few years with my girlfriend and our cat. I'll have the freedom to cruise at will, without deadlines or any particular places to be, other than keeping a solid rig and deciding where to go.

As to the OP, we should coordinate, keep a lookout for sailboat/marina deals, and other useful information as we are both new to the liveaboard lifestyle.
SailingEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 20:37   #3

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthebmanl View Post
Hello,
I've decided to purchase a liveaboard to live on year round in the Southeastern CT area and I would very much appreciate some advice.

I grew up on the water but my knowledge of powerboats and sailboats are limited.

Recently, I entertained the thought of purchasing this houseboat:
(Used 1988 Holiday Mansion Aft Cabin Barracuda, CT - 101837682 - BoatTrader.com)

However, the photos on the site are misleading. I don’t believe it’s the same boat, or if it is, then those photos were taken several years ago and since have neglected the boat.

I spoke to a friend who races sailboats. He suggested a broker and I have since contacted several local brokers to help me find something I’m looking for.

I’m open to all suggestions. I like the idea of having the room provided in the houseboat mentioned above, but I also like the idea of living on a liveaboard sailboat so I can potentially race it during race season or at the very least increase my sailing skills. There is also the added benefit of being of being able to travel to Block/Fisher’s Island or Long Island on very little to no gas. I’m afraid that the boat mentioned above will be very expensive when it comes to moving.

So, any recommendations out there? Power boat vs. sailboat? I also have to be concerned about heating because I plan on living on it year round.

Additionally, storage is necessary. My job requires me to wear a suit every day, so I would need a place to store them; however, that is not particularly necessary as I will be docking my boat close to my parents and could leave a lot of stuff there.

Thanks!
Chicks love boats!
Old 03-11-2012, 22:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthebmanl View Post
.................... I like the idea of having the room provided in the houseboat mentioned above, but I also like the idea of living on a liveaboard sailboat so I can potentially race it during race season or at the very least increase my sailing skills. There is also the added benefit of being of being able to travel to Block/Fisher’s Island or Long Island on very little to no gas................
There are big differences that come with this choice. You're right about the fuel economy differences. Those with the houseboats are far less likely to be moving them about, especially out in open water and waves such as a crusise to Block Island. There are also some conficts between living aboard a sailboat and racing the same boat. With all the baggage that comes with living aboard it is unlikely that you'll be competitive or live with good space on a boat that is competitive. Much of these conflicts can be overcome with big money; however, if you expect to stay within a budget, you will first need to determine the required size for your living space. A single person can often do well on board a 30' boat if they are not burdened by possessions. Beyond fuel economy and living space or any other factor, those that do best with sailboats have a passion for sailing. Maybe this is your best yardstick. If you're not thrilled with sailing a power boat could suit you well.

I stay in the lower latitudes during the winter and have nothing to offer in the way of advice for New England winters. I know some do well, but it can be tough!

Tags
England, liveaboard