Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 19:28   #76

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: First Month Cruising Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Proves you know nothing of my boat ownership or my sailing experience. Just as an example tomorrow with be the 4 day total I've ever been at a dock in 8 years. Please move on to someone else to annoy.
For $63 I don't blame you.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 19:53   #77

Boat: Looking

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;2238690]Some repliers have a reading problem. I never said I stayed 4 days in a marina for $63. I said that last month I spent $63 total on marinas.

It looks like some think that the $63 you spent last month includes the 4 days from this month
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 05:17   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Weavis said we have to be nice so go back to your calculator.

Maybe this change in the weather will help. The wind is up 35 knots this am at Rappahannock Light. (highest gust 39 knots)

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=rplv2

Lucky for you, you arrived 4 days ago

The Hampton Roads/lower Chesapeake Bay Area can be a nice place to visit especially in the Fall.

I may have to open a "Little Boat World" thread because as much as I come and go on my boat from the marina and coming off anchor, I'd hate to handle one much larger as a single handed Coastal Cruiser.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 05:58   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Food/sundries/soda/alcohol - $432.11
Boat maintenance/repair/new accessories - $646.27
Dining Out - $799.58
Fuel - $197.68
Marina costs - $63
Entertainment - $201.50
Communication & storage - $217.36
I missed this thread,but catching up... I really like the fact that you dispersed the "actual" alcohol costs into the three additional categories of: Dining, Entertainment, and Communication...

Very clever...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:19   #80

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I am not amused, I am jealous. You should write a food blog with all that eating out. :-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:38   #81

Boat: Camano Troll

We will all have different boating costs just like we have different costs at home. Some of us get by just fine on $40K per year while others are deeply in debt at $400K per year.

When we take a long cruise I keep track of fuel use and costs and marina costs. I don't really care but I do keep track. I don't keep track of food or restaurant costs or similar because we would be eating somewhere regardless. I don't keep track of tips either. I do consider prices when buying fuel or staying in marinas and I'll chose the less expensive options when possible. I don't like to throw money away.

My theory is, if you can't afford it, you should consider a different hobby.
Old 22-10-2016, 07:56   #82

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

SB1, good for you for being out here. And thanks for sharing your experience and expenses. It is all good information. Life on a boat is grand no matter how you choose to do it.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 18:32   #83

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
This is one of the best suggested products yet. Hopefully it works with my stainless coffee pot. Had been looking for a faster way to boil water and this could be it. I also have a pressure cooker that is supposed to work with induction cookers.
Received the NUWARE induction cooktop in just 2 days. Got the cover with strap for just $4 and can hang the cooktop anywhere. $70 bought the cooktop and included a heavy duty ceramic no-stick cook pan. And all my current set of cookware works with the induction surface.

Boiled water in my cheap stainless coffee pot in just over a minute. My 6 quart pressure cooker fits like a champ. Although still fairly hot, I can actually touch the cooktop surface right after cooking. Amazing!

Thanks Kenomac, your advice will make cooking so much faster and easier. To the point I will cook and eat in much more frequently, saving me tons of money! Some pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3181[2].jpg
Views:	99
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	133862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3182[2].jpg
Views:	100
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	133863  

Name:	IMG_3183[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	133864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3184[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	133865  

hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 18:44   #84

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Received the NUWARE induction cooktop in just 2 days. Got the cover with strap for just $4 and can hang the cooktop anywhere. $70 bought the cooktop and included a heavy duty ceramic no-stick cook pan. And all my current set of cookware works with the induction surface.

Boiled water in my cheap stainless coffee pot in just over a minute. My 6 quart pressure cooker fits like a champ. Although still fairly hot, I can actually touch the cooktop surface right after cooking. Amazing!

Thanks Kenomac, your advice will make cooking so much faster and easier. To the point I will cook and eat in much more frequently, saving me tons of money! Some pics below:
How much power is that actually using? I looked at that and it looks its 1800 watts on full power! We use about eight 20 pound cylinders of propane a year @ about $16 a fill. Saving $128 a year (which we could not even do because you can't bake with that thing) is not worth carrying something else on our boat.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 19:55   #85

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
How much power is that actually using? I looked at that and it looks its 1800 watts on full power!
The one I got (Flex) uses 1300 watts on high but can be set to 600 watts. No big deal if hooked to a dock or if you already use a generator. Certainly safer than a hot plate. Cooks amazingly fast, much like a microwave and generates little heat in the cabin. Its small and only weighs a couple of pounds. The cookware weighs more than the cooktop. Stows completely out of sight. I like it and plan to use it on the boat.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 21:27   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
How much power is that actually using? I looked at that and it looks its 1800 watts on full power! We use about eight 20 pound cylinders of propane a year @ about $16 a fill. Saving $128 a year (which we could not even do because you can't bake with that thing) is not worth carrying something else on our boat.
We bake with the Nuwave oven. We need to charge our batteries with the generator, so we simply cook at the same time costing us nothing to use the cooking appliances.

We like it so much on the boat, we even prefer to use one at the house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	133867  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising