Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 03:37   #46

Re: Favourite places to live on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Stick to QLD, really only two bars and both can be avoided.
If you really want to, all the bars between Sydney and the Qld coast can be avoided too, but you'd miss out on some excellent cruising.

While we've sometimes worried about bar crossings, especially when you get that unexpected huge swell out of nowhere when traveling toward a barred entrance, actual exciting crossings have definitely been the exception for us. Probably the most exciting (and enjoyable) was surfing for about a mile at 15 - 16 knots on the Wide Bay bar. Got that crossing over with!

That'd be one out of about 20 on WBB, and I'd guess well over a hundred bar crossings in NSW, with none of them being particularly memorable.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:00   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Favourite places to live on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They aren't a decent live aboard?

We must have done something wrong being very comfortable on a 34' cat, then buying another 34' cat. If we buy again it will be similar size.

No idea who kitty wake is.
The Heavenly Twins cats are 26 and 27ft long.. the concept is great but in to short a boat.. had it been a 30/32ftr it would have been great.
As its is if your short and skinny it just about works as a liveaboard... personally I would not buy one to liveaboard solo.. never mind as a couple.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:42   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Heavenly Twins cats are 26 and 27ft long.. the concept is great but in to short a boat.. had it been a 30/32ftr it would have been great.
As its is if your short and skinny it just about works as a liveaboard... personally I would not buy one to liveaboard solo.. never mind as a couple.
Yeah, Heavenly Twins are getting too small. That's why I suggested something in the 30-35' range.

I don't think they made a lot of them but I think Heavenly Twins did make a mid-30' cat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yeah, Heavenly Twins are getting too small. That's why I suggested something in the 30-35' range.

I don't think they made a lot of them but I think Heavenly Twins did make a mid-30' cat.
thats nice, i am glad for you , out of interest , can you tell me / ( us ) what it is that you have..
i was going to mention the Wharrams , although i love them again the 35 ' ( Tangaro ) without a deck cabin ( pod ) is ( imo ) a bit cramped for comfort, and may not be to everyones taste.
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:07   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
well , new to me also , there is a HT for sale in UK just now, 36' , year 2000 , never heard of one before , but not cheap at 100k
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:37   #51

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
There’s a reason why they are not “ bank busters “ , that’s because they are no good for decent live aboard , ask “ kittywake “ , about to sell the only one worth considering as it is too small for comfort , remember , comfort is an important issue for most people .
Looks like two topics going on here!

I complety agree. Catamarans by default sail on narrow light hulls. Anything under 38' (my opinion) is simply to small to live in - or you'll overload it and it won't sail any more. I would say under 38' an equal size mono will be more comfortable than a cat.

Buy an older bigger bare-bones cat and live in the hook - you'll never regret it!!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 11:53   #52

Boat: Moody 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
Looks like two topics going on here!
Yes, how did that happen?
As the OP, can I just say I'm not overly interested in multis. Don't expect to be able to afford one that is suitable for what I want to do. Quite happy with a mono, thank you.

Can we return to anchorages...?
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:37   #53

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet

Since you are already in Europe, try the Med. We have been here 8 years and not seen it all yet. We sail 6 months staying on anchor nearly the whole time then go to a marina for 6 months and explore whats on shore. There are reasonably priced marinas for the winter.

You did not say what kind of boat you have but if it is not more than 1.8 meters deep, consider the inland route - London to Istanbul by way of Vienna and Budapest. I have done it twice and it is wonderful.

My experience is at https://cruisingtips.net/blog.

Rick
Ocean Dream
Cartagena, Spain
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:27   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Rick- what's the max beam on that route?
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:19   #55

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Rick- what's the max beam on that route?
Depending which route you take, it could in the order 15 meters.
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02   #56

My cruising experience has been mainly in the Med, especially the Balearic islands where I live but also the coast of Tunisia (very cheap) as well as Sicily, the Eolian Islands, south of Italy, Sardinia, Corsica and the Riviera.
The number of sheltered coves and bays where you can safely anchor for free is getting more reduced every year. There are several areas that used to be free but now it is obligatory to take up a buoy and pay for it. Anchoring is limited to sandy patches where the Neptune grass will not be damaged by the anchor and chain.
Greece with it's thousands of islands is certainly a huge cruising ground with quite chaotic marinas at no cost. Best to go in the hight of summer and get to know the area well before winter gales arrive.
The west coast of Italy is quite expensive, the Maddalena islands between Sardinia and Corsica have some great areas to anchor but far from shops etc.
Although I was born and grew up in the Caribbean, I would not recommend it for safe free anchorages.
PERSONAL safety is the prime matter, there are many places where you and your boat will be constantly being watched thieves, watching for a chance and there are beautiful areas around Venezuela where your lives have no value at all.
In short, if you stick to the northern shore of the Mediterranian you can find many free anchorages with the legal cover of European police, no tides, doctors and hospitals when needed. Some of the ports in the Balearic islands offer special winter rates in the public marinas that are attractive and come with water, 220, wifi Internet and good public transport, plus a friendly bunch of ex-pats for social life.
Its a big subject, hope that I have been helpful.
valvanuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:20   #57

Boat: Gulf 32" PH Sloop

My fav was/is San Diego, great weather, great city, variety of slips, moorings, anchorages, lots of destinations within "weekend" range.

Favorite anchorage Coronado (Glorietta Bay)

Favorite 'med style"- Laurel Street Mediterranean

Favorite splurge (room/laundry service} Marriott Marquis
scottfree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40   #58

Boat: Dufour 385

You didn't talk much about scenario. Suggest looking at "we sail from XX month to YY month" and put her up on the hard and go touring or back to visit family. Then we return and continue the journey to ZZ. The Med, is wonderful for this concept. If you want to make it a long journey, sail across. If you want to make it shorter, anywhere will put you up. Navily does a nice job of anchorages if you are cutting expenses. Just be aware that the weather is the driver.
Luck!
Bob
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:58   #59

Greece, Greece, Greece
bioggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:00   #60

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
You didn't talk much about scenario. Suggest looking at "we sail from XX month to YY month" and put her up on the hard and go touring or back to visit family. Then we return and continue the journey to ZZ. The Med, is wonderful for this concept. If you want to make it a long journey, sail across. If you want to make it shorter, anywhere will put you up. Navily does a nice job of anchorages if you are cutting expenses. Just be aware that the weather is the driver.
Luck!
Bob
We've been living aboard for almost 4 years now in the Med. We would not heasitate to stay at anchor all winter. The only reason we don't is the live-aboard communities in the main livaboard marinas are lots of fun

There's a lot of talk about mooring fields taking away anchorages. That is true, but our experience has been that that ia only happening in the real hotspots that most livaboards would not want to spend much time at anyway (lile the core anchorages in the BVI or Grenadines). There are so many gorgeous anchorages a person could spend 20 years here and not see them all.

We'd also agree that the safety factor of the Med can't be beat, but I don't think the Caribbean is quite so bad that you would want to miss it!

Get in your boat, cast off the lines and go where the wind takes you!!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote